Back with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anex80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Midwest
I've come back home and couldn't be happier! After about a year of bouncing around between other providers and cord-cutting options I eventually landed with Dish. Once I'd finally had enough of the constant Dish disputes, I paid the ETF and went my merry way.

After being back with DTV for just a few hours I am sad I ever left D* in the first place! IMHO, they are a far superior product and worth every bit of the $$ they charge. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Some quick observations:
- DTV picture is definitely sharper than Dish. Granted, Dish's picture is much improved but still inferior to DTV.

- The Hopper receiver menus are prettier but not as functional as those on the Genie.

- The Genie HR44 is actually faster than the H3. Sorry Dish fanboys but I used both within hours of each other and simple tasks like scrolling through the guide and navigating the menus is peppier.

- DVR recordings are more intuitive on DTV. I guess this could be a matter of preference but I never did quite understand the way Dish recordings work.

All of my thoughts above are obviously of my own opinion. My intent is not to start yet another Dish vs. DTV war but I had to share my excitement of being back with DTV. Do with it what you will.

Reactions: reddice
I've come back home and couldn't be happier! After about a year of bouncing around between other providers and cord-cutting options I eventually landed with Dish. Once I'd finally had enough of the constant Dish disputes, I paid the ETF and went my merry way.

After being back with DTV for just a few hours I am sad I ever left D* in the first place! IMHO, they are a far superior product and worth every bit of the $$ they charge. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Some quick observations:
- DTV picture is definitely sharper than Dish. Granted, Dish's picture is much improved but still inferior to DTV.

- The Hopper receiver menus are prettier but not as functional as those on the Genie.

- The Genie HR44 is actually faster than the H3. Sorry Dish fanboys but I used both within hours of each other and simple tasks like scrolling through the guide and navigating the menus is peppier.

- DVR recordings are more intuitive on DTV. I guess this could be a matter of preference but I never did quite understand the way Dish recordings work.

All of my thoughts above are obviously of my own opinion. My intent is not to start yet another Dish vs. DTV war but I had to share my excitement of being back with DTV. Do with it what you will.
Interesting that the menu is not as fast as the Genie. One video I saw on it showed how fast the Guide was on the 4k Joey. I don't like Dish because of all the carriage disputes they have.

Yeah, I had a 4K Joey which was a tad slower than the hopper. Certainly not a huge deal as its really nit picky but something I noticed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope if you can only just have the next Gateway/Client system and not mix it with the old stuff that those Genie Mini's are faster. I think some people have said the current Genie Mini's are slow, I'm not sure on that.

I guess if you like supporting other peoples football viewing then Direct is your way to go. Enjoy. Direct just bends over when programmers want more money and is more then happy to pass it along to there customers. My 2 cents.

Reactions: mdavej
I guess if you like supporting other peoples football viewing then Direct is your way to go. Enjoy. Direct just bends over when programmers want more money and is more then happy to pass it along to there customers. My 2 cents.

Honestly that's fine with me. Weighing out the options after promos my cost with DTV is actually a little cheaper than it would be with Dish so I, for one, did not gain any benefit from the many Dish disputes. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: reddice and Troch77
There is a very good chance if NFL and Red Zone aren't back on the dish Line up by September , I will be following in your footsteps.

But Cable might still be an alternative too.

The cost difference for Directv over Dish is a mere $6 more without promos.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: reddice
I hope if you can only just have the next Gateway/Client system and not mix it with the old stuff that those Genie Mini's are faster. I think some people have said the current Genie Mini's are slow, I'm not sure on that.
Huh ?

I certainly hope I don't have to abandon all my current equipment when the new AT&T / D* merged box comes out in the future.

Huh ?

I certainly hope I don't have to abandon all my current equipment when the new AT&T / D* merged box comes out in the future.
Well their was this one member either on this site or the other site and he seemed to suggest that you could either have the new system or the old system and you couldn't combine them. Maybe the new system will be all IP based and wont be compatible with the tuner based system?

Well their was this one member either on this site or the other site and he seemed to suggest that you could either have the new system or the old system and you couldn't combine them. Maybe the new system will be all IP based and wont be compatible with the tuner based system?
I thought that was on the DISH side of things ?

Football > Everything Else

Funny how my DirecTV bill is a whole $2 or $3 more than an equivalent package with Dish would be, yet I get all of my NY RSNs and NFL Network and hardly any programming disputes that come with being a Dish subscriber. It's all fun and games until it's your favorite channel that is pulled because of the tightwad in change. Keep 'bending over' DirecTV!

Same here. I would switch to DTV in heartbeat if it was not for my stubborn uncle. He owns the house so he has say what we have to stick with. Dish Notwork losing channels all the time. As long as he gets his EPIX and Gospel Music station he does not care if we can't watch WPIX or any local sports teams, and have less HD channels forced to stream Disney XD, Jr online using the apps.

Same here. I would switch to DTV in heartbeat if it was not for my stubborn uncle. He owns the house so he has say what we have to stick with. Dish Notwork losing channels all the time. As long as he gets his EPIX and Gospel Music station he does not care if we can't watch WPIX or any local sports teams, and have less HD channels forced to stream Disney XD, Jr online using the apps.
You CAN have more than 1 service at an address .... :cool:

The two features I liked about dish, the ability to see what tuners are watching what channel, thus you could join a tuner watching something you wanted to watch leaving the other tuners free. The other think I liked was that if you paused the TV and then accidently hit a channel change button, the hooper would tell you that could only be carried out in live mode and ask if you wanted to switch to live mode. this prevented the little people in my house from accidently changing the channel on a paused show. it was like a safe guard, now with direct if I pause a show and they hit a channel or number it will change without the ability to stop it, thus loosing that show. its ok if it a rewind channel, but not all are.

Reactions: Marcingak
double play allows you to change stations while not losing the pause on the original

Really? So where's the Pac-12 Network at?

Reactions: fireponcoal

so how often has charlie lowered you bill when you lose a channel?

Reactions: sangs
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts