Question about recording timers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brandon_m

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Tennessee
So after my install yesterday it was time to setup my timers to record my shows. I just used smart search to find each show, selected record series, selected "first run" etc. The issue is the dvr is recording every episode of the show across all of the channels of HBO, SHOWTIME etc. if they are repeats or not. I selected first run only not all episodes. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

So after my install yesterday it was time to setup my timers to record my shows. I just used smart search to find each show, selected record series, selected "first run" etc. The issue is the dvr is recording every episode of the show across all of the channels of HBO, SHOWTIME etc. if they are repeats or not. I selected first run only not all episodes. What am I missing?

Are you setting your timers up in the first 24-48 hours of having the install?

When you set up a timer, the DVR will record the first episode of the show even if it is not first run. It uses it as a "marker" for the series. All the following recordings should follow the "first run" rule if that's what you selected.
You can delete the first episode with no problems.

I usually go into the to do list and delete the first recorded shows before they even record. Providing they are not the actual first episode

Okay I understand. It records it and then only records whatever is newer than that first episode. Thanks!

No. It records the first episode, and then follows your rule. So if you select "first run", that's what ylou get.
You should know that the DVR can only follow what the episode metadata says. So some programs will record episodes that aren't first run, but the guide data does not say that so the DVR records anyway (to be safe).
Also be aware of the 28 day rule. If you select all episodes, the DVR won't record episodes that have been recorded in the last 28 days even if they are not still on the disk. You can only record therse "duplicates" by selecting them manually. This confuses a lot of people who think their DVR is not working correctly.
Another issue is programs that have already been shown somewhere else (like Canada or the UK)> Often the channel provider dioes not update the first showing date so the DVR thinks the episodes are old and does not record them. You just need to keep your eye out for those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)