Bad Dish UHF remote or just limitations of remote?

anonymouse99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
My dish 722K receiver installed a year ago sits in our (finished) basement. I watch TV(2) in my study on the main level using Dish provided UHF remote. I seem to recall that the remote worked well for 1-2 months. Now it seems harder to change channels unless I point it roughly in the direction of the receiver in the basement. I've replaced batteries to no avail. Sometimes some or all (channel) digits don't register after pressing, sometimes when I press a key, it echos multiple times. Is this a case of a bad remote or just distance?

My primary UHF remote just works fine (but it is close, in the basement itself) but this sort of tells me that the receiver is ok.

Could the layers of dry-wall be causing an issue with the remote talking to the receiver? They're both about 20-25 feet apart on different levels separated by flooring and a bunch of drywall. I also installed a 2.5/5 GHz router about 9 months ago or so, could that be interfering with remote-receiver communication?

I was thinking about attaching some long/bare copper wire to the existing antenna to improve communication, but not sure if this will help.

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

If you have access, then running a line from the remote room to the antenna input will do the job, use RG-6.
With some cleverness you can even multiplex it with the signal but it is easier and better if it is a separate run.
-Ken

Or even just use a short piece to get the antenna out in the open. Can you change the channel used for the remote?

If you have a few cable jumpers or can make them and two spliter/combines lying around..
Make 3 short jumpers.
Run one off uhf ant out on back of rec
Run one off tv2 out on back of receiver
Both going into the "outs" on a spliter.
Run the 3rd jumper off the "in" off the spliter to the uhf/vhf port on the dipexor.

At your tv2 room you need to split the signals back out. Run a cable off the wall plate into the "in on. The spliter. Put the uhf ant that was on the back of your 722 on one of the "outs" on your 2nd spliter. Then other "out" run a cable to the tv.

In some cases this works great. If it comes in a little fuzzy you may have to just run a cable all the way from room to room like stated above.

Sometimes if the reciever is in a inclosed spot (like a tight entertainment center) the tv2 remote has a harder time reaching.

Or even just use a short piece to get the antenna out in the open. Can you change the channel used for the remote?
Thanks Tampa8, it works when I point the remote in the general direction under the door towards the receiver in the basement from the upper level. I was under the impression that the remote range was longer, but it does not seem that way - I have a huge concentration of coax in that area (meaning UHF friendly metal inside the cables) so if anything I would have thought that the range would improve but maybe not.

Last edited:
Sometimes if the reciever is in a inclosed spot (like a tight entertainment center) the tv2 remote has a harder time reaching.
I agree, I think I am going to first try and extend the antenna towards the basement ceiling that is closest to my room. Hopefully this will improve the range. If not, then I may try and do a room to room thing. Thanks satellitegangster ;)

the splitter trick is something i roll to customers homes to do about once per week. this fixes the problem permanently. if you cant do it, just call support and get a tech sent over. takes about 5 minutes to do.

I used a trick someone here suggested and used a couple of splitters to feed both the small antenna and my OTA antenna into the 722 coax input. Works great.

TomD said:
I used a trick someone here suggested and used a couple of splitters to feed both the small antenna and my OTA antenna into the 722 coax input. Works great.

This works great with the Home Distribution port as well (can also use with the diplexer.)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-4056099597.jpg
    image-4056099597.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 192
I'm having the same problem with my second receiver that is only about 25' from the main receiver. When I first turn the second TV on, it works sometimes and other times it takes the signal about 30 minutes to "get there." The only way to get the 2nd channel changed is to point the remote straight at the first receiver within 15' or so. Do I have the same problem or is this something different? It can be very aggravating.

Another real easy fix unless its already done is simply changing the remote add. to an even number rather than odd diff freq range if it is the router or anything other rf interference this should fix it do it all the time unless extending the antennae is required.

Oh also hold the remote to the side of your head the electric waves from your brain extends the range I don't really know if that's it but it works honest truth point the remote vertical at your chin or horizontal at your temple touching your skin with the ir blaster and it works unless you're brain dead.

what parrot feathers said. there are over 20 addresses you can use. even numbers sometimes wor better than odds, and vice versa. go to receiver. press menu 6-1-3. note the remote address for number 2. to try a new one pick a number. hold sat on numbver 2 remote for 3 seconds. press the remote code number you chose. hit pound. hit record. watch the number change and try it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)