Bad experience today for Hopper 3 install..

I understand. However, jsheridan suggested that the customer should have made the call to cancel the install. How can the customer be expected to know what DISH policies are? If there was a question about the weather, then this could have been addressed in the multiple phone calls between DISH and the customer before the installer made the trip.

I'm not suggesting that there are not problems presented to the installer, many of which are caused by inconsiderate customers. But, to suggest that it was up to the customer to call off the install when everybody in the USA knew there was a snowstorm going on is crazy. In this specific case, the customer did everything that was asked of him and was in communication with DISH several times leading up to the install. Why didn't DISH ask the right questions? Why didn't the installer make a phone call before traveling 30 minutes? After all, it's the business they're in.

Seeing as you mentioned me I guess I need to rebut:

The tech doesn't know ahead of time that the dish is in the middle of the ridge of the customer's roof, but the customer knows. The customer also knows that snow is predicted for their location. Sounds like it would be common sense for the customer to know that a tech is not going to go walking on the customer's snow covered roof ahead of time so to save all concerned including us all the aggravation, let's just make it another day. Customers can reschedule at the drop of a hat, techs can't.

Looks like what's lacking here is the 'common sense'.

Seeing as you mentioned me I guess I need to rebut:

The tech doesn't know ahead of time that the dish is in the middle of the ridge of the customer's roof, but the customer knows. The customer also knows that snow is predicted for their location. Sounds like it would be common sense for the customer to know that a tech is not going to go walking on the customer's snow covered roof ahead of time so to save all concerned including us all the aggravation, let's just make it another day. Customers can reschedule at the drop of a hat, techs can't.

Common sense is a bad word when it comes to the average customer.

I once had a customer get mad at me because he finished his new house and wanted us to run all the cable in his house because he thought it was free. I told him that the cable required to hook up the new equipment would be part of a basic install and anything beyond that would be billed. Second, how in the world could we run cable to anywhere in the house when all the drywall was up? He was very upset with me and I said that I'm sorry but you are completely at fault on this one since you misunderstood me and failed to use common sense.

Common sense was lacking on both sides. Some standard disclaimer about roof, weather, safety and the tech making the final determination ought to be part of the spiel. Not expecting potential issues for any sort of roof install with snow/ice is just silly.

Maybe, but as much so on the company personnel as on the customer. This was not an isolated snowstorm, it covered 1/3 of the country. In the words of the customer, he received multiple communications from DISH. "I recieved multiple notifications last night and early this morning confirming the appointment during our winter storm here. I receive a call about 9:00am stating that the tech could come out at that time as he finished early at another job"

Any one of these communications could have and should have included the weather related issues. I would bet money that if the customer had called DISH and inquired about the snow conditions, he would have been told that they would let the installer make that determination upon arrival. As already pointed out, DISH is not going to encourage postponement because they're afraid they'll lose the new customer.

The customer is as much the victim here, if not more so, than the installer. The customer had to take time off from work to be there.

Maybe, but as much so on the company personnel as on the customer. This was not an isolated snowstorm, it covered 1/3 of the country. In the words of the customer, he received multiple communications from DISH. "I recieved multiple notifications last night and early this morning confirming the appointment during our winter storm here. I receive a call about 9:00am stating that the tech could come out at that time as he finished early at another job"

Any one of these communications could have and should have included the weather related issues. I would bet money that if the customer had called DISH and inquired about the snow conditions, he would have been told that they would let the installer make that determination upon arrival. As already pointed out, DISH is not going to encourage postponement because they're afraid they'll lose the new customer.

The customer is as much the victim here, if not more so, than the installer. The customer had to take time off from work to be there.

First, you're thinking of the wrong storm. The OP was last Friday and that storm was isolated to parts of New England.

Next, the notifications are probably automated or texts which are not customizable.

Finally, if you had read my post earlier in this thread where I said to the customer:

"Yup, he should have asked where your dish is located and yup you should have told him your dish is on the ridge of the middle of your roof. If either of you had thought to ask then you could have rescheduled and you both would have saved yourselves a lot of trouble."

You would see we're saying pretty much the same thing. Common Sense. Now you have a good day.

I gotta be honest, I am not really comfortable with some poor guy spending anytime at all in the predicted 10 degrees or below temps for tomorrow morning's install. Really considering cancelling. Yes, I know, he probably would end up some place else. Just really concerns me, right or wrong. What would you do?:

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's your call.... As you suspect though, someone else will just get your appointment so the guy/girl is going to work either way. Dish isn't going to cancel all appointments for that day because of weather.

In all seriousness, when I was younger, 10º temperatures didn't bother me unless it was pretty windy. If he/she thinks it's too cold, they may just call in "sick".

If it's sunny and calm then 10 degrees isn't bad at all. I go fishing on says like that. If it's windy then see ya later, windchill sucks.

If it's sunny and calm then 10 degrees isn't bad at all. I go fishing on says like that. If it's windy then see ya later, windchill sucks.
I rescheduled to Monday, when it will be a balmy 32 degrees. On top of my earlier concerns, up to 3" snow tomorrow AM with sub zero wind chills. Will sleep better tonight than I would have.

Reactions: JSheridan
I rescheduled to Monday, when it will be a balmy 32 degrees. On top of my earlier concerns, up to 3" snow tomorrow AM. Will sleep better tonight than I would have.

Very thoughtful of you. It was 10 and sunny here today but windy. I thought to myself that I wouldn't want to be working outside in it.

Very thoughtful of you. It was 10 and sunny here today but windy. I thought to myself that I wouldn't want to be working outside in it.
At some point, he or she would have to take off the gloves, that's what I kept thinking about.

If you reschedule the appointment then most likely they will send the technician elsewhere even if the conditions are rough. I couldn't work with gloves on in the most part and would freeze my fingers off trying to put connections on and would end up with cracked fingers that would bleed.

The customer may not have known that the technician would need to go to the dish since it was just supposed to be a receiver swapout that normally would not need an lnb replacement as well.

The customer may not have known that the technician would need to go to the dish since it was just supposed to be a receiver swapout that normally would not need an lnb replacement as well.
New H3 installs do require an LNB replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)