Bad HDMI Cable???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
I have a 55" TCL Roku TV connected to my H3 with a 15' HDMI cable.

Every week or two when I turn on the TV I get an old fashion snowy screen. When I switch to my cable box everything is fine. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and reconnect it everything is fine again.

My wife is technology challenged and will not do the unplug thing. So when I get home I have an unhappy wife who missed her TV.

Could it be a bad cable or....?

Are you sure the input is still set to one of the HDMI inputs during all of this? Sounds to me like the TV is being switched to the OTA analog tuner.
If you are sure the input has not been changed and all you do is unplug/plug and it works with no button presses, yes it could be a bad cable.
Could also be something on the circuit board in the TV for that HDMI port. Try changing to a different HDMI port and see if the problem follows.

Reactions: joegr and JSheridan
...If you are sure the input has not been changed and all you do is unplug/plug and it works with no button presses, yes it could be a bad cable...

Note that some TVs will automatically switch to an HDMI input when it becomes active, after being inactive. I've never seen one show snow for anything but the analog tuner.

Reactions: harshness
I know those roku tv's can be set to go to a specific input when powered on. It's under the power settings. Maybe check to see what that's currently set to, and then set it to go to the HDMI input your receiver is plugged into.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have a 55" TCL Roku TV connected to my H3 with a 15' HDMI cable.

Every week or two when I turn on the TV I get an old fashion snowy screen. When I switch to my cable box everything is fine. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and reconnect it everything is fine again.

My wife is technology challenged and will not do the unplug thing. So when I get home I have an unhappy wife who missed her TV.

Could it be a bad cable or....?

I am just going to toss this out there. Snow is the analog visual depiction of radiated electromagnetic noise that is randomly ingested into the front end of a receiver "AKA" your T.V. tuner.

Your HDMI port has no tuner it is a digital signal it is on or off..

One of three things has happen.. Your T.V. is in analog tuner mode or your Echostar box likes to draw analog snow or you have a poltergeist!

Reactions: bspei
I am just going to toss this out there. Snow is the analog visual depiction of radiated electromagnetic noise that is randomly ingested into the front end of a receiver "AKA" your T.V. tuner.

Your HDMI port has no tuner it is a digital signal it is on or off..

One of three things has happen.. Your T.V. is in analog tuner mode or your Echostar box likes to draw analog snow or you have a poltergeist!

I've seen the snowy picture on all of my TV's occasionally when I switch inputs.

I've seen the snowy picture on all of my TV's occasionally when I switch inputs.

Then your T.V. is momentarily switching to NTSC analog mode or the engineer who made the software thought it would be cool to use the snow as a screen switching buffer display.. You will never get snow on a digital signal..

The receiver will receive noise but it will not draw anything on the screen. On a digital transmission the signal is literary telling the the TV what pixels to turn on if it gets no signal it turns none on..

Reactions: AZ. and joegr
I know those roku tv's can be set to go to a specific input when powered on. It's under the power settings. Maybe check to see what that's currently set to, and then set it to go to the HDMI input your receiver is plugged into.

That action was done during initial setup and works 99% of the time.

I got a Roku Tv on my desk. What a piece of crap.

The only thing I liked about it was the price. I think a 22 inch set was around $120.

I probably could have gotten a 32 inch for a few dollars more, but it wouldn’t fit On my desk

I got a Roku Tv on my desk. What a piece of crap.

The only thing I liked about it was the price. I think a 22 inch set was around $120.

I probably could have gotten a 32 inch for a few dollars more, but it wouldn’t fit On my desk

I am not a big fan of integrated devices.. I worked on to many VCR/TV combos in my day.. Just give me a monitor with a HDMI input and I will handle the rest!

I have been using the Element TVs from Walmart for a lot of projects, The are like $79 for a 22 or 23 IDR the exact size of the small one and $99 for a 32.. I have 4 of the 32s on my desk for monitors..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)