bad install, Dish wants money for repair.

Claude Greiner said:
As a retailer and a professional installer this is a Joke right?

You got to be a f**king idiot to mount the Dish to the back of a basketball goal, and then to charge to move it is just classic!

ROFL!! :D

That wins the official "wake Webby up out of his getting work for slumber" award post! LOL...still kills me reading it 3 or 4 times over. :)

Dish2.jpg

It's true...a picture does speak a thousand words. If you don't get these "professional installation" charges waived along with a free month of service, then you have no one to blame but yourself. ceo@echostar.com

Good luck!

sounds like you had a lousy contractor out on your job. i would defintely email the ceo the pics and your complaint and possible threaten to cancel your services. I had a contractor out to install my dish and he grounded to the gas pipe in the house. Lucky I found it and grounded it to the coldwater pipe myself. I had to have a service tech come out and I always tell them to send a DNS tech or a local guy that I know or he won't get into the house

Last edited:
I thought it was a portable basketball goal with the sand bottom, I see it's a permanent mount, that makes all the difference in the world. I could just here him, damn it son, I am watching a football game, quit playing basketball until it's over.

Nearly as funny as the Comcast dude sleeping, actually it's funnier.

Claude Greiner said:
Yea, but his wife probably doesn't know any better along with the 90% of the customers which get installed every day!

Come on..... It doesn't matter if you ever had a DISH before, why would you allow it a basketball hoop?

Claude Greiner said:
Yea, but his wife probably doesn't know any better along with the 90% of the customers which get installed every day!
Then she should not have signed the paper!

How about this. Look behind the basketball goal there is a fairly large tree there. What if since this guy last had dish trees had grown up to the point there was no good roof mount place. What if the installer said "hey if you really want dish I could put it on the basketball poll if it is not being used" Then the wife says knowing her kid has not shot a hoop in the last year "sure go ahead and put it there the goal is never used". Then the next week her kid decides to play basketball for the first time in over a year.

I could see this happening and would not fault the installer. A concreted in basketball pole would actually be a very good dish mount if the goal is not being used and I think basketball goals are a lot like pool tables in that most people that have them have not used them in over a year. So if the installer ask and was told the goal was not used I would not say stupid installer.

srs913 said:
Damn, now that should be the poster for how not to install a dish. I install for Dish and have been for the last three years. And the one thing I have learned with poor customer service is that if the customer puts up a big enough fuss, the customer usually always wins. But heres the facts on Dish, there are two kinds of people that installs dish when someone orders it. There are the local retailers, now these guys can be tricky, and the second would be the RSP also known as the regional service providers. Now its a roll of the dice who ends up getting your work order. And the problem with that is is that if you get a local retailer, they can do what ever they want with little or no ill effects. If they screw the job up they can just pass it on like it never happened. Which results in Dish network passing the job on to the rsp for that area which will end up usually charging a truck roll fee of 30 bucks, but heres the kicker, if you put up a big enough fuss or threaten to cancel due to poor installation, they will cave in, and if for some reason the csr your talking to doesn't seem to think so, ask for his or her supervisor and keep moving up the chain if be to get what you need. But eventually you can get that dish relocated for free.

I am a sub for a local retailer and I take offense to your comments, you made it look like all retail installers do shoddy work, I take pride in my work and so does everyone else in the company. I have had to go and redo some of Dish installers work a many of times. some of the work i have seen from both sides are pretty shoddy. Lets be fair and say you can get both good work and shoddy work from both Dish installers and also Subs.

papalittle said:
I am a sub for a local retailer and I take offense to your comments, you made it look like all retail installers do shoddy work, I take pride in my work and so does everyone else in the company. I have had to go and redo some of Dish installers work a many of times. some of the work i have seen from both sides are pretty shoddy. Lets be fair and say you can get both good work and shoddy work from both Dish installers and also Subs.

Finally...a voice of reason!
:up :up :up :clap :clap

Unfortunately having done this for 6 years I can say that I have repaired more sh!tty work done by subs and dealers than I have dish inhouse up until the start of february of this year. Besides Claude the only other decent sub / dealer in michigan is now don lores, past them the rest are hacks such as dish tv in spring arbor and the idiots in jonesville, adrian and parma.

But now the two offices that I worked out of until recently are cranking out some of the worst work I have ever seen due to changes in dishes internal structure for its installation departments so really now its a 50/50 chance you'll get a good or bad install with either side atleast in michigan.

I guess what I was saying here is that I just have a very hard time believing that any installer no matter who they work for would have done that install without fully explaining the ramifications of it as it is such an out of the ordinary install. I just can not believe any installer would have done this with knowledge that goal was in regular use. I would really like to here the installers side to this.

If an installer did this with knowledge the goal was in regular use he should be fired as that would just be beyond an ordain level of stupidity but I find that hard to believe as very few people are that stupid.

Last edited:
I have to disagree, there are quite a few people that are that stupid. There is no reason to ever do that install, in use or not. There had to be another option.

papalittle said:

I met a retailer in Richmond,VA who used FLOODED rg6 for underground. Digicon connectors. Times Fiber coax; not some Chinese stuff. Real #10 ground wire to the dish.

The DNSC does not come close!

THAT GUY SHOULD BE MAD AT HIS WIFE, NOT THE INSTALLER!! If Dish's policy is that, when the paper is signed, the install is OK, then they should enforce it.

I like the dish in the basketball post..Especially, if it is connected to the pole, not the goal itself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)