bad install, Dish wants money for repair.

For the people blaming the wife, consider this. You go to a persons house and they tell you to put the dish at the corner of the yard and from that location the LOS points directly into a giant pine. If you put it there you pleased the customer and they approved it. That still is a poor installation and you are doing poor work. My point is it doesn't matter if God himself came down and approved the dish being mounted on the top of a basketball goal and signed the work order..it is still wrong and the person that installed it showed very poor judgement. He also showed that he has some redneck tendencies.

according to my wife, here were the installers words:

"OK, ma'am. i've mounted the dish and everything looks stable and secure. if you sign this paper i can activate your service and show you how to use the equipment."

he did not tell my wife that he mounted the dish on a basketball goal. even if he did, she wouldn't have known that the basketball goal is not a "stable and secure" place to mount a dish. she thought she signed an "activation" sheet, thus showing how much she knows about this kind of thing. :D

don't forget that this is the second time I get dish network. the first time i had DN, the dish was mounted on the side of my house and I signed the work order.

no offense to any installers, but basketball goals just don't seem like a suitable mounting location for a dish anyway. wouldn't the wind catch the backboard and the dish shaking it even more, causing more signal loss?

i really do wish i would've taken better pictures. :rolleyes:

Well if your wife signed it and the account is solely in your name and this is a contract then its legaly null and void, as it is after what you have been through I would personaly leave dish and go to direct.

Those pictures are awesome!!! I can bet you I would have called Dish up as soon as I got home.

"You can find your equipment on my back porch as I've removed it from my basketball goal. Please let me know when you'd like to reschedule the install of your equipment again. Due to no equipment being installed you will be unable to charge me for service. Thanks...."

I have similar issues, I need to call them up and have them come fix it or fix it myself.

The installer has half the base that attaches to the side of my house not touching anything and not screwed in. Plus it's not grounded and I live in the lightning capital of the world (florida).

They really need to have QA people come check the work these shmoes do and not pay them for bad work.

The worst part is he took 4-5 hours to install it because he installed it in the one place I said he shouldn't. *sigh* so hard to find good help.

My experience with the homes in florida is that all of them are stuco and your limited to facia mounts. The problem with facia mounts is that they angle in towards the house at the bottom or are short or both so the installer has to modify the mount hardware to get it to work. Its possible that even though you didnt want him to mount it where he put it at that it may have been the only option but without pics theres no way of telling.

any reason to choose directv over dish? better service? more knowledgable installers? all i see down here in louisiana is triple LNB DirecTV dishes because they're the ones who had our locals first. dish lost a lot of customers to directv because of that, but i stuck with them because they're cheaper. i'll have to have a better reason than simply being "mad" at dish to cancel my contract and pay the fees to switch over to direct and pay more for the same services.

but what the hell.. i'm about to be upgrading to HD anyway. D* or E*?

sl6t9 said:

he did not tell my wife that he mounted the dish on a basketball goal. even if he did, she wouldn't have known that the basketball goal is not a "stable and secure" place to mount a dish. ...
and that would be because most men have attended a class called Basketball Goal Mounting 101 while taking Shop while the girls were taking Home Economics? :rolleyes:

miguelaqui said:
Then she should not have signed the paper!

Oh give me a break just do like most of Corporate America does blame the customer.She probably thought the IDIOT and the Company that hired him new what they were doing and did not look at it.

yellowcanary73 said:
Oh give me a break just do like most of Corporate America does blame the customer.She probably thought the IDIOT and the Company that hired him new what they were doing and did not look at it.
I guess it's OK to go around signing things without reading what you are signing!!!

The same thing happened to a friend whose wife signed after the tech had run only one cable to a 921 and cut an underground cable while burying the cable to the post. She should have checked to make aure it was working correctly....isn't that what the paper says?....I ran the additional line

However, people complain and want Dish to have the tech come back out after completing a customer-approved job.

People who complain about that stuff after signing should learn a lesson before signing anything else.

sl6t9 said:
any reason to choose directv over dish? better service? more knowledgable installers? all i see down here in louisiana is triple LNB DirecTV dishes because they're the ones who had our locals first. dish lost a lot of customers to directv because of that, but i stuck with them because they're cheaper. i'll have to have a better reason than simply being "mad" at dish to cancel my contract and pay the fees to switch over to direct and pay more for the same services.

but what the hell.. i'm about to be upgrading to HD anyway. D* or E*?

No diference at all what so ever,

First things first, she should not have signed the paperwork if she was not on the account but since she did that makes the contract null and void.

Second the technicians first responsibility is to walk through the install with the customer before he/she/it does the installation, seems obvious that the tech did not do this.

Third the wife should have inspected the work done prior to signing the paper work wich she may not have or didnt have the common sense to wonder why there was a satellite dish on the basketball hoop if she did.

Fourth the installer should have more common sense than to install a satellite dish on to a basketball post but obviously didnt as evidenced by the pictures.

Fifth after looking at the pics I could almost swear that the dish is a direct dish and not a dishnetwork dish as it does not apear to be skewed and the lnbf looks to be a single eye number.

Not E*, hummm. Do you think he's getting paid by the other company to say this?

There's probably a little blame to go around, but I would have to agree the majority of the blame, if not all, would be on the installer(s).

After-all he/she is expected to be a Professional at his/her job, or working as an apprentice under a Master technician. The company advertises "Professional Installation" for only a dollar 2 ninety-eight; so we - the customer, expects to get nothing less than a professional installation, regardless of the price. That is probably covered under "Louisiana's Napoleanic Laws" and other places as "implied".

Secondly, and although it greatly helps, the customer should not have to have more technical experience than the Customer Service Representatives, much less the installers, when buying television service.

down the pipe, along the concrete, through the brick, into my living room/bedroom/kitchen

when he moved the dish, he basically ran the same wire up the brick into the dish, then clipped off the excess coax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts