Bad internal HDD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jessshaun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Robinson, Illinois, United States
I have an HR21-700 that I've had for 2 years. The hard drive died completely today.

I know the HR21 has an eSATA port. I'm not worried about major capacity, as I've moved it into our room, which is rarely used anyway. (I mean, I only record 1-2 shows a week on it. It is just for the DVR functions.) If I buy a 320-500GB HD and an Antec-MX1 enclosure, would that work without having to replace the receiver?

I don't want to extend my commitment (as some people have had erroneously happen to them), and have had bad luck with replacement receivers. I'd MUCH rather just buy an external hard drive and make my receiver work again than go through Directv and have them screw something up.

Thanks for the help.

I have an HR21-700 that I've had for 2 years. The hard drive died completely today.

I know the HR21 has an eSATA port. I'm not worried about major capacity, as I've moved it into our room, which is rarely used anyway. (I mean, I only record 1-2 shows a week on it. It is just for the DVR functions.) If I buy a 320-500GB HD and an Antec-MX1 enclosure, would that work without having to replace the receiver?

I don't want to extend my commitment (as some people have had erroneously happen to them), and have had bad luck with replacement receivers. I'd MUCH rather just buy an external hard drive and make my receiver work again than go through Directv and have them screw something up.

Thanks for the help.

You ask a good question. I haven't heard of anyone using and external hard drive when the one in the dvr is bad. It seems like it should work, but don't go on my say so. I could be completely off base here.

I understand your reluctance to replace the dvr. You know that replacing defective equipment doesn't extend your commitment, but it does incorrectly happen. If you do decide to replace it, make sure you get them to email you that you won't have any change in your commitment.

Thanks raoul. I'll take your suggestion, and email them to ensure I have a written statement that I am not to have a change in my commitment.

Besides, let's face it. It IS cheaper to go that route than buy a new HDD.

I think you're better off going the get an external hard drive route.

No commitment hassles to worry about. No matter what they say or e-mail you, there's a better than 50/50 chance they add a 2 year commitment to your account and you'll have to call in again and again till they finally get it removed.

If you call and describe the trouble the DIRECTV CSR might decide that a DIRECTV tech. has to come out and verify the hard drive in the unit is dead, which means you'll probably have to take a half day off work.

If they send you another DVR it'll more than likely be a refurb.

Three options:

If it is leased (it is) they own it, and they are responsible to make it work. They charge $19.95 ship and that's supposed to be it, no contract change in this situation. Take good notes and call twice to ensure they didn't change your contract (when talking to tech support to get the replacement ordered, and again after activating the replacement, always double check).

You can do the external thing, it will work.

You can replace the drive internally yourself (outside of lease guidelines, but hey, i can testify it works and isn't hard).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)