Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
California Judge Grants Flo & Eddie Summary Judgment in SiriusXM Pre-1972 Music Case.

From RadioInfo.COM

Legal experts and music industry watchers are busy speculating about the potentially far-reaching effects of U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez’s Monday ruling that grants summary judgment to Howard Kalyan and Mark Volman’s Flo & Eddie Inc. in its case charging SiriusXM with violatingthe public performance rules regarding their copyrighted music. Judge Gutierrez did not grant summary judgment on the matter of whether SiriusXM violated the reproduction rights of the copyright holders. Not only does the decision have potential dramatic financial implications for digital pure plays like Pandora, it shines a light on the complex and fragmented financial structure of the music industry, especially as it relates to broadcasting, in a time when the music industry is seeingdramatic dips in recording sales and broadcasters are complaining about already-too-high royalty rates. The case, in summary, goes like this: Flo & Eddie Inc, owner of the electronic performance copyright to music recorded by The Turtles in the late 1960s, argue that the pre-1972 exemption to U.S. copyright law for music recordings does not override state laws on such matters and therefore, in California, SiriusXM is in violation of public performance laws that govern copyrighted material. That Judge Gutierrez granted summary judgment is a shocker to the industry because, if the matter clears the appeal hurdle (we’re expecting SiriusXM to appeal the decision), this ruling will affect other non-AM/FM broadcasters – like the aforementioned digital pure plays – who do not have permission from copyright holders of pre-1972 recordings. And California is just one state. Cases are pending against SiriusXM in other states and Pandora is being challenged in New York by several record labels. Read the ruling here.

I cannot help but wonder if this will stand. What is the track record of this court? Another East Texas (ninth?) court?

Consider the ultimate result - spread across the nation, this could put under SXM and others. Wouldn't such a result be considered, and found to not be in the interests of the nation?

I doubt bad faith can be demonstrated and suspect good faith could be. They tried.

This is about money and greed, pure and simple. It is not about any national interests.

I am not sure who's side I am on here.

When I first got my SiriusXM I paid one simple fee then a few years later they started adding a royalty fee on top of what I was paying them. I didn't why I had to pay extra for listening to the music I was already paying for in my monthly fee.

It seem like SiriusXM is thinking they don't have to pay royalties on any song made before 1972. I don't think this is right, SatelliteGuys Radio pays for every song we play it does not matter when it was released. And if the customers are paying extra for the royalty fees then where is this money going?

into 0 months for a $0 sub.... Jeep has a USB input.

I personally favor the 16GB SDHC card in my 300. Probably you have one of those too. Leaves the USB port free for other stuff, such as charging cell phones, iPods, etc.

Despite really enjoying satellite radio... 220$/year is too much IMO. Got a nice collection of MP3s on a 32GB to keep me entertained. Besides, I also started enjoying NPR.

BTW, I cant seem to charge anything via the USB.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Huh. In my 300, the ignition has to be in ACC mode or greater, or the USB port is unpowered. Same with the power outlets formerly known as cigarette lighters, in the little dash compartment, and at the rear of the console for the back seats. The power outlet inside the center console is powered even when the car is off. I have the Uconnect Touch 8.4 system. Is that what's in your Jeep? I know it's in the GC, and even the follow-on version, with all my pet peeves fixed, in the '14 GC.

If you are listening to SiriusXM just for music you might as well just sub to Spotify. It's $10 and they have radio stations now plus you can listen to anything in their entire library whenever you want. Plus it's miles better audio quality.

and let me tell you it is not the best of cell service for data on I40 going thru Western Oklahoma, West Texas, New Mexico and Arizona to Las Vegas. That trip I have to make every few months is the reason I like having Sirius in my current truck.

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8
If you are listening to SiriusXM just for music you might as well just sub to Spotify. It's $10 and they have radio stations now plus you can listen to anything in their entire library whenever you want. Plus it's miles better audio quality.
I've never understood when people say that. What kind of data plans do people have to stream hours of music in a car? How do you keep a signal everywhere? Vast majority have a limited and usually a very limited plan....

You do say if you only stream music, so at that I agree if you can find a way to use it there are other alternatives. However SiriusXM offers so much more if you are going to be in your car, I routinely listen to Baseball, if I can't be home Football, not to mention the comedy channels and talk radio. I feel I get my use out of it.

Reactions: Nominal and Annie61
I have a feeling it will.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Can companies survive? Or is this killing the golden goose?

SXM sure can't jack up rates much more.

I've never understood when people say that. What kind of data plans do people have to stream hours of music in a car? How do you keep a signal everywhere? Vast majority have a limited and usually a very limited plan....

You do say if you only stream music, so at that I agree if you can find a way to use it there are other alternatives. However SiriusXM offers so much more if you are going to be in your car, I routinely listen to Baseball, if I can't be home Football, not to mention the comedy channels and talk radio. I feel I get my use out of it.

Ther area few unlimited data paans out there. I am unsure of coverage areas but for some it might be an option.

I frequently drive down Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park, especially at this time of year. We get virtually no data service up there at all, but SiriusXM is (or was when I was sub'd) happy.

I have unlimited data with Verizon and it's extremely rare I'm without a signal. Plus with Spotify you can cache stuff to your phone so you don't need a signal 24/7 for it to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts