Bad power inserter or home wiring!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DonRod

Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Virginia
this one has the tech and i scratching our heads. i have 2 hr24-500's and the swim setup.
have had 2 power inserters replaced. they seem to work intermittently. i have red button reset, unplugged the p.i. etc. and still get 771a. the strange thing is it comes back on and runs without a problem ALL NIGHT! in the morning it's fine but right around 11am all this week it kicks out. i did manage to get running again yesterday by unplugging and unscrewing the cables then putting them back on but today no luck. my only thing i can think of is that wiring in the house is screwed some where. ivd tried the p.i. on different outlets and still no go. any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.

Had the same problem for 2 months. Techs switched everything out except cabling and the hr24. Still had the problem. Finally replaced the hr24, no problems so far. Do both receivers have the problem?

yea, and i was thinking that might be the problem but like i said they work fine for some reason in the evening on thru till the mornin. just went and plugged the p.i. back up and presto its on again....wierd:(

I'd be looking for a hair wire short in one of the cable terminations.

This could be confirmed/dismissed with a coupler, a dummy load and a multimeter. Put a dummy load at the dish and measure the resistance at the PI output cable. If it is less than 75 ohms, there's probably a short and that's why the PIs are burning out.

I'd be looking for a hair wire short in one of the cable terminations.

This could be confirmed/dismissed with a coupler, a dummy load and a multimeter. Put a dummy load at the dish and measure the resistance at the PI output cable. If it is less than 75 ohms, there's probably a short and that's why the PIs are burning out.

that was my next guess. but my tech said that shouldnt. cause it to do that. but when he put up the dish there's a coupling at the dish, and one in the drip loop attached to the house. im tempted to go and buy a 50 ft piece of rg-6 from walmart or lowe's and see what happens.

I am going to say this and the Techs are going to complain that it works but. Most of the time when I had to do follow ups on 771a the problem was often because of CCS vs solid copper rg6. So I am under the firm rule to all installers I will nail you against the wall if i have a customer calling in every month over a bad PI due to ccs on the PI line . Everywhere else i could care less.

that was my next guess. but my tech said that shouldnt. cause it to do that. but when he put up the dish there's a coupling at the dish, and one in the drip loop attached to the house. im tempted to go and buy a 50 ft piece of rg-6 from walmart or lowe's and see what happens.

the cable sold at wal-mart or lowe's will only cause you further issues. the cable must have a solid copper center conductor or it will cause problems with the higher frequencies.

the cable sold at wal-mart or lowe's will only cause you further issues. the cable must have a solid copper center conductor or it will cause problems with the higher frequencies.

gotcha..........had a piece of wire left-over from a previous install....fortunately is was long enough....hooked it up and no more problems....i think the way he had the first wire sectioned out might have been the problem instead of haveing one long piece of wire from the dish to the swim box....i'll post a pic to show what i mean later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)