Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
:rant:

I'm not very popular with a couple sellers on eBay. One was stating that the unit must be good because the 12:00 was flashing and when he was pressed for the unit ID he came up with a bunch of 000000 etc.

Another had a 920 listed as a 922 :eek: and eventually he took the listing down. I still managed to get a PM to him and told him he should provide the Unit ID from the system status screen or no one should bid on it. He just sent me a PM and ask who NPS was and how he could get in touch with them. I gave him a lesson (unit ID 101) in how and why the Valid Unit ID was critical to these GI receiver models. Additionally I explained the reason for changing the batteries if the units are close to or over 10 year old.

I hope this intervention has saved some FTAer from getting a bad receiver, as I did. As it turned out I got a refund of my purchase price so I was out the shipping. (It didn't cost me nearly as much to return it as he had charged me to begin with.. Some people gotta make a buck on every detail of a transaction.)

BTW. I don't know of others experiences with the 920 but both receivers I have had didn't have the Unit ID label on the back or bottom or inside or anyplace else. The 905 I have has was a match to the Unit ID on the back, next to the power cord strain relief. I had a "go-around" with NPS because the first time I gave them the status screen Unit ID they told me it didn't have the right combination of characters and was invalid. I went back got the status screen info again and it compared exactly with the Unit ID label on the back. I had lost a nites sleep over this and called them back and insisted on dealing with a supervisor and ultimately they confirmed that it was correct and Valid. Imagine if I had believed them the first time and junked the box or sent it back the the eBay seller.. So Lesson Learned. Don't except the First "InValid" response. Check your information and see if you made and error or if there is any possibility that NPS did or maybe you do have a bad receiver.:eek:

Steve :D

most people just don't know anything about satellite gear. they aquire that stuff from their grandmother's house or estate sales. It does kill me how people mark up that shipping.
I bought a small midpipe for my motorcycle exhaust which is titanium and is very thin walled and weighs virtually nothing and the guy charged me a ton of shipping! ridiculous.

No excuse for the one guy... He is the fellow in Pennsylvania who is selling the LNB without the 10ft dish. He claims he has been using this stuff for years. How can he not know that he has a 920 and not a 922 or that just because the display flashes 12:00 the unit is in good working order.

I don't know everything about this stuff but in 6 month I have learned not to trust anyone on eBay until they answer the Tough questions.

Steve

Agreed about the junk that's out there. Luckily, I've scored some cool stuff there too for cheap. Some people don't describe the item well and ends up in the wrong category if they even know what it actually is. Then not many interested parties even see the item. I search all different ways for electronic treasure.

I never really understood the relevance of the sticker on the receiver matching the board ID#. When I setup programming I always read of the setup screen and gave the # to the provider.

As long as it's valid that's what counts. They always convert the ID on my 905 to HEX anyway from what it was built with back in 2002.

It does kill me how people mark up that shipping...weighs virtually nothing and the guy charged me a ton of shipping! ridiculous.

If this was stated up front, you agreed to it. If it wasn't stated up front, that was a blank check.

eBay does have a policy about excessive shipping. But in practice, the situation has to be extreme.

I recently bought a dsr 922 on ebay and i cant get it programmed.The seller assured me its in execelent condition, and that he went through all the options and they all worked.I cant go into option mode to set up the receiver so out of curiosity i opened the dc2 box only to find the battery floating around in it.The battery was so corroded that the legs rot off and the battery started to decompose so all the acid leaked on to the board These guys realize that people are buying these receivers now and so sell anything they can get their hands on.

Is there any place i can get a DC2 module other than ebay.

So then, it's not really a shipping fee is it?

Another other reason is that buyers might overlook the shipping fee and bid too much. Regardless, it's about more money for the seller.

Either it screws eBay, or it raises the chance of screwing the buyer. :devil:

I cringe at some of the shipping costs of Satellite dishes on E-Bay. I mean $82 to ship a 36 " dish? WTF ?

One of the oddest deals I have seen on E-bay, was where someone was selling TWO Direct Oval dishes with a starting bid of $75. The seller was located in Southeastern Ohio and It was a pickup only

...but the buyer would have to climb the roof, take down the dishes AND patch the roof. (So if you fell through the sellers roof or did a bad patch job...those dishes would cost you at lot more than $75.

I have see the listing run two times with no takers....

eBay Bad Experience

My recent order to a Chinese photo shop retailer for a USB satellite receiver was a bad experience.

The unit arrived DOA and he asked me to return it for a replacement or refund. That was the last I heard from him. PayPal was useless because they have a short fuse on actions to get a refund and the Chinese Post is three weeks in itself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts