bad switch or lnb?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
I have a four output lnb connected to a 6x8 multiswitch, a D11 and two HR24's. The D11 and the HR24 in the living room are ok. I had a H21 in a third room, which I no longer have. The problem is with the 24 in the master bedroom, it also happened with the H21. I'll be watching whatever channel, the sound and picture drops off. Then a searching for satellite signal message comes on. This sometimes happens after a few minutes and sometimes it takes a while, 30+ minutes of being on that channel. All sat signals are 85+, clear skies. What I found out is when I have the BR HR24 on a channel and the picture and sound drop off, if I go to the LR and tune that 24 to the same channel that the BR 24 is on, the sound and picture return to the BR HR24. When I change the LR HR24 to a different channel, the BR HR24's picture and sound drop and searching for satellite will come back on screen. I've connected the BR HR24 to other outputs on the switch, but the problem has not gone away. I haven't moved the connections for the LR HR24 because it hasn't given me problems and I don't want to create more by moving those connections.

Has anybody had the same problem and what was replaced, the lnb or switch? I don't have the protection plan and will call D* and ask if they will send out either the switch, lnb or both. I don't know if I will be charged for either a lnb, switch or shipping. I just want to be sure that if I ask for a switch, and am billed for it, that it will fix the problem. What I don't want is getting a switch, getting charged for it, only to find out the lnb is bad and will have to be replaced, and being charged for it as well.

Last edited:
Hello cave1376,

First I never had your problem but even if someone else had you problem the solution could possibly be different. Same problem could have a different solution and a different problem could have the same solution. The first thing I am thinking about is terminators. The third room has a cable where an H21 receiver was removed. Is it terminated? On the multiswitch are all of the unused outputs terminated? If not then put a 75 ohm terminator on all those unused outputs. See if this fixes your problem. Make sure all connectors from the dish; if possible/ to the multiswitch and onward to the connectors on the receivers/dvr's are tight. All outdoor connectors are prone to corrosion so you might want to take them off and give them a visual inspection. If this does not fix the problem then please post your signal strength from all satellites (from 99 to 103 or 99 to 119 depending upon whether you have an sl3 or sl5 lnb). I hope this helps.

To eliminate the switch as the cause, bypass it using barrel connectors and see if the problem goes away. If the issue persists, then it's most likely the lnb. Do NOT use a 75 ohm terminator on a multi switch. You can snip the wire and use the cap, but you can damage the multi switch if you terminate the open ports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts