Bait and Switch

A friend of mine recently upgraded to a Dish HD package to take adavantage of his HD TV. As a loyal customer he was unable to take advantage of any of the offers being laid out for new customers so he had to fork out $100 for a HD receiver.

After reviewing the choices available for HD packages on Dish's website, he opted for a VIP222k reciever. He was at work while the installation was being done (wife was at home) so it wasn't until the installer left that he realized that they didn't give him a VIP222k but rather a refurbished VIP222.

It should be noted that the dish website no longer shows the older VIP222 as a hardware choice for HD programming. While the two receivers share the same core features, there are some new features in the 222k that he was interested in such as the learning remotes and the ability to watch OTA on TV2.

He called a Dish CSR (and also spoke with his manager and tried the online chat) and didn't get anywhere. They claimed that they make no guarantees about what type of equipment they will use for the installation. I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as what they do send you meets your requirements in terms of the number of TVs and it was one of the advertised choices listed on their site. But to send out an older, refurbished model that has fewer features amounts to a bait and switch tactic.

What would you do? He is considering filing a complaint with the state AG.
This may sound kind of crappy. Dish Netowrk DOES not guarantee a particular model of receiver to lease customers.
Ya have to read the terms of lease in their entirety.
On another note, the shop I worked out of hadn't had older EQ like 222's in years. However there are shops including Dish offices that keep getting these refurb receivers shoved down their throats. These shops have no choice but to distribute the older stuff.

Even so, if I lease a car, I know what I am getting because I am agreeing to lease a specific model. With Dish all you have to go on is what is shown on their site and they do not show the older receivers so anyone reasonable would assume you are going to get one of the models listed.

two entirely different things. Apples to oranges.

The state AG office has a consumer protection division that deals with stuff like this all the time. Some time ago my wife bought a camera online that was advertised as new and they sent a refurb. I called the company about this and they were pretty beligerant. I filed an online complaint with the AG and shortly thereafter got a very apologetic call from the vendor.

Yes, it is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things but my point is that they do follow up if you have what they see as a legit complaint.

That is a Lease( With Dish, terms are spelled out on paper) and a Purchase( the camera)..Two different things.

That is a Lease( With Dish, terms are spelled out on paper) and a Purchase( the camera)..Two different things.

I've read the terms of service agreement and I've asked earlier in this thread if someone could show me where it says they can provide equipment that differs from what they are advertising on their website and I did not get a response. If you're saying that they can do it just because they don't say they won't, then that would leave the door open for just about anything.

I've acknowledged that the agreement says they can supply refurbished equipment and that a refurb would not have been a problem if it was the right model and/or was something with the same functionality as what is advertised.

If my friend should have done some more research to know that there was a possibility that Dish still had the older 222s in the "supply chain" I'm still at a loss for how he should have gotten that info without 20/20 hindsight.

Last edited:
my response explains it quite well. Post #24

except for the 'head in my a s s' problem.

I just went to the new site and it does actually tell you what receiver you will be getting. based on the selections you make. so if he used the new interface then he would have been told what to expect, and should be provided that model or better.

but it doesn't mention OTA so there would be no way to be promised a K model. :(

Last edited:
When it comes to upgrades or even when we get a work order from Dish it shows similar receivers grouped together. Ex: (522, 625) (301, 311, 381) (211, 211k, 411) (622, 722, 722k). A technician can put in whatever model they want that fits in that category.

my response explains it quite well. Post #24

except for the 'head in my a s s' problem.

I just went to the new site and it does actually tell you what receiver you will be getting. based on the selections you make. so if he used the new interface then he would have been told what to expect, and should be provided that model or better.

but it doesn't mention OTA so there would be no way to be promised a K model. :(

No, the website does not mention the OTA feature but if one did their homework as others suggest, you could download the 222k manual from the site to get a full description of the features including OTA and learning remotes.

I apologize for the confusion, I was trying to make it clear that the current website only shows the "k" models and that this is what my friend was using as the basis for his expectations. I was the one who told him that the new models come with the learning remotes. At any rate, thanks for reviewing the website and re-evaluating your comments.

I realize now that the installers have the option to install a 211 or 211k, a 222 or 222k.... but the problem is that the customers are never given this info until the service guy shows up.

I realize now that the installers have the option to install a 211 or 211k, a 222 or 222k.... but the problem is that the customers are never given this info until the service guy shows up.

Just so you know, the same thing happens with Directv and their various models. You simply get what is on the truck.

This reminds me of when Dish had "Dish It Up" offers on their website under our accounts. For HD-DVRs, when I had a 622, they listed (2) choices: 1) I can't remember how they described the 1st one, but it was understood to be the ViP722 and 2) an "Enhanced" HD-DVR, i.e. the ViP722k.

Problem there is, since the 622 and 722 are considered the same (w/o specifying "Enhanced"), I could have upgraded my 622 to .... another 622 !!

No, the website does not mention the OTA feature but if one did their homework as others suggest, you could download the 222k manual from the site to get a full description of the features including OTA and learning remotes.

I apologize for the confusion, I was trying to make it clear that the current website only shows the "k" models and that this is what my friend was using as the basis for his expectations. I was the one who told him that the new models come with the learning remotes. At any rate, thanks for reviewing the website and re-evaluating your comments.

Actually, we're not given an option. We have to install whatever the warehouse give us. Further, the warehouse doesn't really have an option on what they give us. They have to give us what Dish has shipped them. And in cases where the warehouse has available multiple receivers of the same class (i.e., 722K, 722, 622) they have to follow protocol on what they give out first.

Believe me, this is policy coming from way above the installer who installed your friend's system.

As much as I'm please with Dish, IMO, I find going to the Dish Network site and learning about their DVR's or Receivers does put you into the frame of mind that you're picking your unit, and that's the unit you will get. Now to drive my point a bit further, if you go to Direct's site, it doesn't list their DVR's or Receivers, which I take to tell me that it's D* choice as to what you get. This was one of the reasons I went with Dish...I feel this is a little misleading...IMO.

Ghpr13:(

The tech does not have the option. He is told which equipment to use.
DNS offices get what the warehouses send them. Contractor offices purchase what is available.
For example. Long after the 625 receiver was the standard for SD DVR's, Dish ran out of them. We were left with only 522's to place on the trucks. Work orders are always printed "522/625 reman receiver".
In other cases, for example, for upgrades and new connects the work orders can state, 211/411 for western arc customers. or 622/722/722k for HD custs.
or 222/222k for those who do not wish a DVR....Dish will continue to recycle all returned receivers back into the field until they are phased out or are discontinued.
The only case where the latest HD equipment is on the work order is for eastern arc (61.5/ 72.7/ 77) custs. Only mpeg 4 recivers work with eastern arc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)