I have a 'friend' who owns a bar on the
U.S. side of the Canadian border and he wishes to obtain the NFL Sunday
Ticket from either BellExpressvu or StarChoice - any thoughts,
ideas, guidance or assistance in how he could do this without drawing
attention to himself.

DTV is too expensive.

thanx in advance.

please pm me anytime.

well it would be illegal to have your friend use another friends address on the candian side, so maybe just move the bar a lil to the north?

If I were that bar owner I'd head for the closest Canadian town and find a retailer who might sell him the equipment. Then I'd ask that retailer if he would mind if the bill came to the retailer's place of business. I'd pay for the service a year at a time so the retailer's mailbox wasn't blessed with a bill every month or alternately I'd view and pay the bill online. BUT I'd also be aware that for public distribution of any satellite service you need to pay more for the rights. I'd like to think that a bar owner could draw enough of a crowd just by having all the games to more than offset the cost of the programming subscription. If you can not draw more of a crowd by having it then maybe you should reconsider it as an option.

the biigest problem is that the nfl is known to send out people to bars to check to see if they are paying the commercial rights to show the games in a bar, ie a public place. I would think you a still violating usa laws by getting the game from a foreign source and showing it in a public place, *c does have a package for commecial places.

well it would be illegal to have your friend use another friends address on the candian side, so maybe just move the bar a lil to the north?

um, no it isn't. Its called grey area. There are a fair amount of people south of the 49th parallel who have SC or Evu (I am one of them) :)
You need a canadian address either through a broker or a relative/friend/wino who has a room for rent

It is illegal to use a residential subscription for commercial purposes - stated very clearly on both Expressvu's and SC's Terms & Conditions.

It is illegal to use a residential subscription for commercial purposes - stated very clearly on both Expressvu's and SC's Terms & Conditions.
Directv and Dish Network say the same thing as well.
The NFL knows which bars have Sunday Ticket subscriptions on business account, and be the same virtue which ones do not.

I have been doing sports programming for a bar in Flolrida for several years. If you use the Network feeds (not NFL ST feeds). you can get away with it. What the spotters are looking for is the NFL ST special commercial breaks. If they spot one then they have the bar red handed. However if the establishment is using the full network feed will all local commercials and station ID's , the NFL and their attorneys will have a very hard time prosecuting. The bar that I do this for has been contacted by the NFL and after a phone conversation with the attorneys, the lawsuit that was filed was dropped. The only way to get true network feeds is to use FTA, 4DTV (Denver, & Dish ATL/SF) and subs on Dish and DTV. The subs on DTV and Dish must only use the local feed , NOT NFL ST feeds. Yes you must set subs up in different parts of country, but there is no way to ID those, unless individual is incredibly stupid or has big mouth and brags about it. This is not advised unless you have some very good idea on what and how to do it. Last year my establishment had every NFL regular season game (as well as about 75% pre-season) games, Don't forget when you do the side-stepping this way you will also end up with lots of NBA & MLB also. This statement is not meant to be an open invitation to try, Just a note that getting around certain things can be done without getting hung to to dry....

Ok since where talking about SC & BEV for NFL ST where do they pick up the feeds from?

Also since BEV also carries MBL(just rently), CI and NCAA where do these feeds come from?

The only way I can see some catching these bars in the US is by the IPG.

If you use a Dish or DTV dish both work with BEV as long as you use BEVS LNBs

how can you tell? If some one was to suddenly put up the IPG the BEV logo appears not DTV or DISH.

I'm not sure why the NFL would care there still getting their money via your sub to SC or BEV in the bar?
I assume this issue would also affect a Canadian Bar own using DTV or DISH in Canada?

TOM :)

Cband, fiber.

NFL would surely back and protect Directv who pays a bazillion more dollars than any Canadian provider does for ST.

No EVU logo on MLB EI btw.

it's like i said, the bar owner wil get nailed by the nfl for a public showing regardless of whether he has canadian or american satellite.
*c knows i use their services in the usa because i have their home away from home service which is cheaper than having a broker ( one time $50 charge) that still doesn't give me the right to show movies on tmn in a public place in pennsylvania.

This same post was made at digital home canada under the SC forum. Not sure about all the interest when most of the information is available is you search this and their forums.

Take Care

Satboyz:)

wanted as much/many responses as possible.

my "friend" is very cautious and wants to do the right thing.

thanx to all who replied. very much appreciated

If you use the Network feeds (not NFL ST feeds). you can get away with it.

I suspect you are wrong. NFL guards use of their content quite strenuously. There is a disclaimer somewhere in the transmission, either read orally or shown on-screen, stating that the broadcasts are for private, non-commercial use only, and using a C-band satellite feed or a local station's broadcast does not get around that. In fact, I would say that the local station might well have something to say about that as well. The fact that you may be getting away with it does not mean it is allowed.

bars and over the air stations

the bars here play the games via the local stations, I do not think they pay for it, or at anyone enforces it could be wrong.

OTA local games via local station no problem for bar. FREE.

Local games via local station on cable or via satellite. Bar would have to pay commercial rate for programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts