Baseball Package

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv user

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
I'm a Phillies fan living in New York and have been a Baseball Package subscriber for 4 years. I've never been able to get a straight answer from D* as to why the Phillies do not particpate in the program. Obviously I'm able to watch a good number of the games on the feeds from the opposing team.

I've heard that because Comcast owns the Phillies TV broadcast rights that they have no intention of selling access to D* one of their biggest competitors.

Anyone know if thats true ?

sort of

The law says if you uplink the channel via satellite, it has to be made available to other providers

CSN Philly uses either microwave or fibre or something like that, (it isnt satellite) which gives them that loophole to not make it available to satellite

Thanks - Not sure I understand the technical aspects - But Oh Well !

Sounds like I won't be getting the Phillies feeds anytime soon.

I wonder why Comcast would be looking for such a loop hole or why more importantly other broadcasters don't take advantage of the available loop hole.

Directv user said:
Thanks - Not sure I understand the technical aspects - But Oh Well !

Sounds like I won't be getting the Phillies feeds anytime soon.

I wonder why Comcast would be looking for such a loop hole or why more importantly other broadcasters don't take advantage of the available loop hole.

why does CSN take advantage of it? simple...a monopoly in the area
why don't others? It doesnt work that way

Easiest way to describe this
Most channels are sent from the studio up to the satellite for the carriers (cable, satellite) to get
CSN Philly doesn't do this. They have underground lines (fibre) from the studio to the cable company. Satellite can't pick it up..This is the loophole.

Directv user said:

Comcast as do many other Cable Operators use the loophole in an effort to retain customers. They think that by making the channel a 'cable exclusive', people will stay with them.

CV does this with their MSGHD and FSN-NYHD channels here in NYC. They are 'CV exclusives'. No other operator in the NYC area can get these channels.

Unbelievable !!

I hate cablevision !! I wonder what kind of incentive they will have when the Mets have their own network !! Whats left for them to show ? There is no Hockey and the Knicks are horrible !! Good luck Cablevision !!

It could be worse. If you live in Arkansas you are claimed by the KC Royals. Royals games are shown on Fox Midwest. Fox Southwest is the basic Fox Sports Net in Arkansas. If you add the Sports Pack on to your subscription, you are able to get all Cardinal games shown on Fox MW. Royals games are blacked out however. Evidently the deal between the two did not involve enough cash to get the games carried into Arkansas.

To make matters worse the Royals are also blacked out on Extra Innings in Arkansas. In this state you get blacked out both in and out of market.

There is no way to get the Royals on satellite here. I can get every other team except one that claims me as a part of its television territory.

I can say I hear you. Have your tried contacting MLB and the FCC to ask questions?

1. Question why, since KC is some 211 miles from Bentonville, AR just at the AR/MO state borders, (you didn't mention your locale) you are in their DMA and not a white area.

2. Question why are you in the FSN Southwest market? That's like San Antonio and westward. You are easily Midwest.

Fritter said:
There is no way to get the Royals on satellite here. I can get every other team except one that claims me as a part of its television territory.

I know this is a D* forum, but I would suggest getting an XM satellite radio and you'll be able to listen to every KC Royals game (along with every other MLB game). No blackouts there.

Directv user said:
Unbelievable !!

I hate cablevision !! I wonder what kind of incentive they will have when the Mets have their own network !! Whats left for them to show ? There is no Hockey and the Knicks are horrible !! Good luck Cablevision !!

CV is the worst for TV. Although their internet service is actually very good.

TWC in NYC hasn't been showing either MSG or FSN-NY on their systems because CV is trying to hold TWC up for the same $$$ for less pro teams on the channels.

charper1 said:
I can say I hear you. Have your tried contacting MLB and the FCC to ask questions?

1. Question why, since KC is some 211 miles from Bentonville, AR just at the AR/MO state borders, (you didn't mention your locale) you are in their DMA and not a white area.

2. Question why are you in the FSN Southwest market? That's like San Antonio and westward. You are easily Midwest.

I live about 60 miles east of Bentonville. It is 207 miles to KC as the crow flies. We are also claimed by the Cardinals (228 miles), the Rangers (335 miles), and the Astros (469 miles). All of these teams games are blacked out on Extra Innings in Arkansas. All but the Royals are available here on Fox MW or Fox SW blackout free.

All of Arkansas and Louisiana are covered by Fox SW. We should probably be in the region for Fox Sports South in reality. If I lived 12 miles further north, I would get Fox Midwest.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dying TiVo

New HD Tivo software spooling...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)