Baseball's Top 125

stmcld

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Henderson KY
This is from ESPN and their top 125 baseball players of all time. I agree with 1 and 2 but there are a couple others in the Top 10 I disagree with.

My Top 10: 1. Willie Mays 2. Babe Ruth 3. Hank Aaron 4.Ty Cobb 5. Ted Williams 6. Mickey Mantle 7. Stan Musial 8. Lou Gherig 9. Greg Maddux 10. Barry Bonds

Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the list. http://espn.go.com/mlb/feature/vide...all-100-ranking-all-time-greatest-mlb-players

Last edited:
This is from ESPN and their top 125 baseball players of all time. I agree with 1 and 2 but there are a couple others in the Top 10 I disagree with.

My Top 10: 1. Willie Mays 2. Babe Ruth 3. Hank Aaron 4.Ty Cobb 5. Ted Williams 6. Mickey Mantle 7. Stan Musial 8. Lou Gherig 9. Greg Maddux 10. Barry Bonds

Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the list. http://espn.go.com/mlb/feature/vide...all-100-ranking-all-time-greatest-mlb-players

Greg Maddox isn't even the best pitcher of all time? Barry Bonds.... Hard to put him up there due to the steroid ERA.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You have Gehrig at 8th, ESPN had him at 11th. He's easily the greatest 1st baseman of all time, and probably the second best offensive player of all time. I'd put him at 5th at worst. On his potential, I'd have Henderson much higher, too. He could have been much better than he was, but never seemed to put out his best effort. He's the one guy on the list that could have been literally anywhere in the batting order and still been one of the best in that spot.

Greg Maddox isn't even the best pitcher of all time? Barry Bonds.... Hard to put him up there due to the steroid ERA.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I also would lower players who only played during the "whites only" era. Hard to be the best went you weren't competing against all the best players.

I also would lower players who only played during the "whites only" era. Hard to be the best went you weren't competing against all the best players.

Seriously? Whatever. It wasn't their fault.

Off teh bat (pun intended), any list that has Bonds at #3 shouldnt be taken seriously.

Also, I dont agree with having active players ranked in any "greatest list". Whoeevr ranks should focus on an entire career not just a portion.

Cheers, K

Off teh bat (pun intended), any list that has Bonds at #3 shouldnt be taken seriously.

Also, I dont agree with having active players ranked in any "greatest list". Whoeevr ranks should focus on an entire career not just a portion.

Cheers, K

BEFORE his juicing.... I think Bonds was WELL on his way to being a HOFer. He was Ken Griffey Jr LITE of the National League.

I agree with Salsa on this one. I personally despise Barry Bonds and in my opinion he didn't have to cheat to become one of the greatest, he was well on his way.Even after I take out all of the assumed PED homers, I think Barry is one of the 10 greatest of all time.

List like these can always be swayed by our own personal opinions but in my mind Greg Maddux might be the greatest pitcher of all time. No, he did not have the power of a Walter Johnston, or the strikeout/no hit capability of Nolan Ryan, or as many wins as some other pitchers, but looking at the total package over his career think he might be the best. Sandy Koufax, probably second, with Nolan Ryan third. Again, just my opinion.

It is really difficult to come up with a top 10 of all time because it could be so subjective.

Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Mantle, Cobb, Musial, Gherig, Cy Young... they ALL have an argument to be in the discussion.... and subject to WHO you speak to in the country. Throw in the fact that MANY of us have never alot of these players IN THER PRIME, makes it even more difficult.

I respectfully disagree... I recall the Bonds/Bonilla's Pirates of the mid 80s...i doubt Bonds weighed more than 190lbs at the time. I beleive without a medicated boost, Bonds wouldn't have played until he was 42. Top 50...maybe.

Ironic players who "cheated" still get their names on HOF ballots whereas Rose is still banned.

Cheers, K

I respectfully disagree... I recall the Bonds/Bonilla's Pirates of the mid 80s...i doubt Bonds weighed more than 190lbs at the time. I beleive without a medicated boost, Bonds wouldn't have played until he was 42. Top 50...maybe.

Ironic players who "cheated" still get their names on HOF ballots whereas Rose is still banned.

Cheers, K

I understand your point and I generally agree with it, but Rose's case is entirely different.

List like these can always be swayed by our own personal opinions but in my mind Greg Maddux might be the greatest pitcher of all time. No, he did not have the power of a Walter Johnston, or the strikeout/no hit capability of Nolan Ryan, or as many wins as some other pitchers, but looking at the total package over his career think he might be the best. Sandy Koufax, probably second, with Nolan Ryan third. Again, just my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more. He was really good, but without the benefit of the extremely generous strike zone he got, he wouldn't have won nearly as many games. There are MANY pitchers I'd put above him, probably 15 or 20.

I couldn't disagree more. He was really good, but without the benefit of the extremely generous strike zone he got, he wouldn't have won nearly as many games. There are MANY pitchers I'd put above him, probably 15 or 20.

Yes, but he pitched in the steroids era and still put up the numbers he did.

I am curious. What 15 or 20 pitchers do you put ahead of Greg Maddux?

Cheers, K

But lets determine when more or less Bonds started taking....BEFORE 1993, whenever he played at least 140-150 games, he avergaed 27 HRs and 35+ doubles...about .280 BA... and about 35 SB. With SLG averaging around .535.

All as a lead off hitter.

Let that marinate for a couple of minutes.

Now if you take away the steroid filled season, and even REMOVE the last 6 seasons.. and he plays until he is 36, averaging THOSE numbers, you honestly don't think he is a HOFer...?!

I am curious. What 15 or 20 pitchers do you put ahead of Greg Maddux?

Cy Young
Walter Johnson
Sandy Koufax
Bob Gibson
Bob Feller
Warren Spahn
Christie Matthews
Tom Seaver
Randy Johnson

And these are the ones I know off the top of my head. I maybe missing one or two.

OK.... I would put him DEFINITELY in the top 10...but no way, in the top 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)