Battlestar Galactica -- Season 4

Yeah - as one who has the original BSG soundtrack...on vinyl :), I had hoped they would fit some of the original theme in there.

It wasn't the first time they had used it... just not in a long while. It was a nice homage to the original, without which we would not have had the reboot. :)

I used to have the original sountrack, on vinyl, many years ago and it got lost, with a box of other great albums, in a move. Haven't been able to find it anywhere (vinyl or CD) since. I have the original title theme on a "Star Tracks" compilation of movie/tv title themes on CD though. It's a great theme. :)

Ok, some food for thought... Tory played a pretty big role inadvertently... by killing Callie she caused Gaelen to break the "chain" uploading resurrection to Cavils group thus breaking the cycle. If Cavil had re-gained resurrection chances are being the sorry frakker he was he would have continued pursuing the Colonials...

I sure hope that they can answer all these and other questions in the next 4 episodes. I really would love to know if the earth we saw is our earth in our past or our future? Are WE the descendants of humans & Cylons mating? I predicted in the past that somehow we were and that humans and cylons would work to move on together and that all our ideas about mythology , government ,democracy, legal laws, etc came from them. But for that ending to happen they would have to go back to earth in our distant past . But I don't see how this will happen now since the 13th tribe is Cylon and from earth and all destroyed now.

Looks like I was right all along. I predicted this a long time ago.:cool:

I see the ending coming as this. The humans and the cylons end up both getting to earth after a battle in space that ends with the Cylons killing each other off in the civil war and the remaining cylons interbreeding with the humans. They have already proved they can father children and birth them and there is no telling a cylon from a human. The remaining cylons and humans will become our ancestors and this all happens thousands of years ago in our PAST. The human belief in mythology and the cylon belief in one God , will become the basis of our ancient people's belief in religion. They will eventually lose their technology trying to colonize the ancient earth. All knowledge of the past will be wiped out in a great disaster and the remaining "people" left standing become our ancestors and the subject of myths and great legends. THis is the only thing that makes any sense to me. I don't see this story line running parallel to our time like the origional Battlestar did.

Predicted it here too. Maybe I should of been a sci-fi writer .:D

I used to have the original sountrack, on vinyl, many years ago and it got lost, with a box of other great albums, in a move. Haven't been able to find it anywhere (vinyl or CD) since. I have the original title theme on a "Star Tracks" compilation of movie/tv title themes on CD though. It's a great theme. :)
Wow, thanks, I had totally forgot about that CD (Star Tracks). I went digging as I thought I had that one as well. Actually there were at least two CDs in that series by the Cincinnati pops, Star Tracks and Time Warp. My Time Warp CD has the original BSG theme on it.

I also like how the theme was first hinted at as Adama did his last fly over of Galactica.

Wow, thanks, I had totally forgot about that CD (Star Tracks). I went digging as I thought I had that one as well. Actually there were at least two CDs in that series by the Cincinnati pops, Star Tracks and Time Warp. My Time Warp CD has the original BSG theme on it.
I have "Time Warp" in my CD collection. It has a lot of great 60s, 70s, and early 1980s Sci-Fi theme songs.

When they arrived in Africa, I thought they had found themselves in a Windows XP backdrop. Green fields and hills, blue skies, white, fluffy clouds. We have found the Promised Lands, and it runs Windows... :D (maybe they did find a sponsor after all, and it was Microsoft!)

But, looking at the one screencap that Rocky posted, I think the CGI artists were taking a lot of liberty with their Earth model. Africa looks way too small in that angle. I know they wanted it to be recognizable, but we knew it was Earth and we knew they were headed for Africa.

Another gripe I had was the shot of Galactica going by the Moon. Atmosphere is venting out of Galactica and panels are still blowing off. Here's the problem: The pieces and the smoke looks like it's being influenced by wind or a slipstream. Unless Galactica was accelerating under its own power at the time, it looked like an old WW2 movie when the battleship get hit and smoke is streaming off of it.

I guess I'm still hung up on Kara and the Viper. Her ship is destroyed and she comes back, fine. It's A Miracle. But for her to find her Viper, on Earth, untold light years away from the system she disappeared, is a little heavy-handed. It was never properly "explained", other than to say, It's A Miracle. Kara's an Angel, so anything goes. It's not very satisfying, that's all.

Another gripe I had was the shot of Galactica going by the Moon. Atmosphere is venting out of Galactica and panels are still blowing off. Here's the problem: The pieces and the smoke looks like it's being influenced by wind or a slipstream. Unless Galactica was accelerating under its own power at the time, it looked like an old WW2 movie when the battleship get hit and smoke is streaming off of it.

I guess I'm still hung up on Kara and the Viper. Her ship is destroyed and she comes back, fine. It's A Miracle. But for her to find her Viper, on Earth, untold light years away from the system she disappeared, is a little heavy-handed. It was never properly "explained", other than to say, It's A Miracle. Kara's an Angel, so anything goes. It's not very satisfying, that's all.

#1 - I think yes it was accelerating. At least I think I remember the shot after the jump that the engines turned on.

#2 - Thats Gods mysterious ways for you. I agree and there have been plenty of unexplained miracles in history. Yes there have also been plenty of people for as long as there has been religion that wanted them explained or they are unsatisfied. So we should just sit back, take it on faith and enjoy it. Personally I dont expect to know how Moses parted the Red Sea but some have theorized it was a freakishly low tide. They present some evidence of sorts to support their theory but of course it cannot be proven. Also God gave Jesus the power to raise people from the dead so it comes down to where your beliefs lay and whether or not knowing the 'how' makes things better somehow. :D

Oh that said, I pretty much expected awhile ago that several things were going to be left to God's will and power with neither the humans nor cylons comprehending how they were accomplished. If you want, one could also ask just exactly what are angels. Not what they do or their job but their existence.

I also like how the theme was first hinted at as Adama did his last fly over of Galactica.

I have both CDs as well...I thought it was on Star Tracks, but didn't take it out of the drawer to look. I wish they'd done more discs in that series of movie title themes.

Yep, shortly after almost falling apart after the jump, there's a shot of the rear of Galactica, with the sub-light engines sputtering to life. After all it had been through, I was surprised those engines still worked at all. But yes, the Galactica is under it's own power as it went past the moon. Also, remember the solar wind (charged particle streams) would have an effect on atmosphere venting from the Galactica as well, just as it does on gasses venting from comets.

I agree, Africa looked a bit odd, but Australia looked pretty good. And at 150k years in the past, they were also probably tinkering with some continental drift ideas in the CGI imaging.

Does anyone know where they filmed those final outside shots? Wherever it was, it looked like a nice location shoot.

I've been pondering the mortality rate of the final settlers. They'd been traveling in ships (aside from a short stop on New Caprica) for nearly 4 years. Prior to that, they all lived in what would be considered an advanced, industrial society. So, I wonder which colonies thrived, which died-out, etc. I would think "camping" would get tiresome after awhile and they'd build cabins, maybe in clusters, forming small villages and towns. An ice age here and there would make life a lot tougher, mortality rates would rise, migrations would happen. How long did it take the colonials to go "tribal"? Language obviously changed, drastically, from standard english to various languages. How'd they get along with the natives? Lots of interesting things to imagine in that mythos...that evidently led us to where we are today.

And then there's the issue of the Centurions. Did they go form a new cylon colony somewhere? Did they try to reinvent hybrids, or did they try to become better machines? Did they learn anything from the lessons they observed from the skinjobs and abandon that whole approach? I'd like to think so.

It was a good story...

MikeD-C, you're a good guesser! Go write a good scifi story. :)

I agree. They took a cheap way out, by not explaining anything about who Kara was, how she came to be resurrected; but they did the same thing with head-six/Baltar; obviously something "bigger" than the rational world, and while I can accept it, I think it was cheap. He could have done better, and we, the loyal fans, really deserved more.

Here is something I have been mulling over -- and it goes back to the mini-series. Six saved Baltar from the nuclear blasts. How? The woman we now know as Caprica six didn't have that power? How did she save both him and her? Or was it the head-six that saved him? Since it probably was, the question I still have is how?

But.. I know no answers will ever come, so I will accept it, and move on. :)

Ok, some food for thought... Tory played a pretty big role inadvertently... by killing Callie she caused Gaelen to break the "chain" uploading resurrection to Cavils group thus breaking the cycle. If Cavil had re-gained resurrection chances are being the sorry frakker he was he would have continued pursuing the Colonials...

That same chain of events explains every basketball game I have watched that had a bad ending at the end... iF we only got that one Free-throw we would have won! :D

But yes. a lot of stuff came together to have that end result. :)

And, she really deserved the choking she got.

I have both CDs as well...I thought it was on Star Tracks, but didn't take it out of the drawer to look. I wish they'd done more discs in that series of movie title themes.

Yep, shortly after almost falling apart after the jump, there's a shot of the rear of Galactica, with the sub-light engines sputtering to life. After all it had been through, I was surprised those engines still worked at all. But yes, the Galactica is under it's own power as it went past the moon. Also, remember the solar wind (charged particle streams) would have an effect on atmosphere venting from the Galactica as well, just as it does on gasses venting from comets.

I agree, Africa looked a bit odd, but Australia looked pretty good. And at 150k years in the past, they were also probably tinkering with some continental drift ideas in the CGI imaging.

Does anyone know where they filmed those final outside shots? Wherever it was, it looked like a nice location shoot.

I've been pondering the mortality rate of the final settlers. They'd been traveling in ships (aside from a short stop on New Caprica) for nearly 4 years. Prior to that, they all lived in what would be considered an advanced, industrial society. So, I wonder which colonies thrived, which died-out, etc. I would think "camping" would get tiresome after awhile and they'd build cabins, maybe in clusters, forming small villages and towns. An ice age here and there would make life a lot tougher, mortality rates would rise, migrations would happen. How long did it take the colonials to go "tribal"? Language obviously changed, drastically, from standard english to various languages. How'd they get along with the natives? Lots of interesting things to imagine in that mythos...that evidently led us to where we are today.

And then there's the issue of the Centurions. Did they go form a new cylon colony somewhere? Did they try to reinvent hybrids, or did they try to become better machines? Did they learn anything from the lessons they observed from the skinjobs and abandon that whole approach? I'd like to think so.

It was a good story...

MikeD-C, you're a good guesser! Go write a good scifi story. :)

Thanks, but what makes you think I was guessing? Maybe the writers read this thread a year ago and stole my ideas for the ending?

I agree. They took a cheap way out, by not explaining anything about who Kara was, how she came to be resurrected; but they did the same thing with head-six/Baltar; obviously something "bigger" than the rational world, and while I can accept it, I think it was cheap. He could have done better, and we, the loyal fans, really deserved more.

Here is something I have been mulling over -- and it goes back to the mini-series. Six saved Baltar from the nuclear blasts. How? The woman we now know as Caprica six didn't have that power? How did she save both him and her? Or was it the head-six that saved him? Since it probably was, the question I still have is how?

But.. I know no answers will ever come, so I will accept it, and move on. :)

Maybe the Baltar and the Caprica 6 you saw in the blast were really the angels and that is why they "survived" the blast.

Well then what about horny Baltar? how did he survive it? He was in the bedroom overlooking the lake when it occured. :)

Maybe the angels protected the real Baltar and Caprica from the blast , so they could continue to carry out "God's plan" . They could transport them both to a space ship orbiting the planet. Look at how the angel Kara was able to live like a human and still disappear at will at the end of the finale. We really don't know how angels can do all that they do . Besides I remember Baltar being shielded by Caprica six and the bomb blast coming in behind them . It was showed in the opening credits every week over and over again.

Maybe the angels protected the real Baltar and Caprica from the blast , so they could continue to carry out "God's plan" . They could transport them both to a space ship orbiting the planet. Look at how the angel Kara was able to live like a human and still disappear at will at the end of the finale. We really don't know how angels can do all that they do . Besides I remember Baltar being shielded by Caprica six and the bomb blast coming in behind them . It was showed in the opening credits every week over and over again.

Well yeah, of course, the Angels could protect them. But shielding someone's body from a nuclear blast isn't going to do much. :D