Battlestar Galactica -- Season 4

I somewhat agree. But, one could also argue that they really had nothing to build the civilization with left. Remember they were fighting over food rations at the end, medicine was gone. Everything had been blasted and broken. They were hanging on by a thread, and it is not clear if they could have even really set up a civilization without it collapsing anyways. They were even out of ammo by this time. Even if they had stayed all in one place after a few generations there probably would have gone back practically to the stone age anyways.

A modern society is very complex. If you were to pick up a town of 30k people from the US and plop it down on another plant, intact, it would not last long. They were not all young strong people, the were not all scientists, they were a cross section of society that just happened to escape the initial blast. Basic things like food and energy become critical. Did they even have the equipment and knowlege to drill for oil? Did they even have a memory of early power sources and machinery? Tillium (sp?) seemed to be a rare ore they find around the galaxy and refined.

Scattering people over the globe would probably be the best system to insure the survival of the species.

It's totally illogical to junk working starships that could produce in orbit around the earth energy needed to make the factories that could sustain them at a modern level of living for at least 1 generation on the ground before they became self sustaining. I would have controlled crashed the Galactica near the homestead site just to mine the refined metals from her and used the other ships parts to make small steam generation plants fired from trees in the uncut forests of the world. How hard would it have been to make a few hydro stations.

If star-ships are like modern day ships they have complete machine-shops that can build almost anything from motors and generators to plows for farming. The others can just go smoke dope somewhere but I would get to work.

I just think the writers gave up on a real ending and just dumped this crap on us. I think it would have been better just to have stopped at the Earth rise on the Moon scene.

I'm not down on the whole thing, the first parts were great but went downhill fast after Cavil ate a bullet.

Supernatural I can handle but reverting to cave men when the planet of your dreams is yours for the taking is the most unbelievable thing in the history of the universe. In two years without at least iron age tech most of the crew will be dead from just starving to death and sickness. There is a reason why "Eve" died young. At least half would say that Lee was crazy and setup a base camp somewhere else with everything they could take off the ships. (My camp)
Lee took the anti-tech option as a way to solve man-kinds problems but it just destroyed the best option which was to really have peace with man and machine.

As we see 150,000 years later, they made the wrong choice. ;) IMHO

Lee's reasoning as I think was as others pointed out, there were still Cylon's and probably Cavil's out there who likely did search for the colonist's... if a Basestar jumps into Earth orbit and sees the fleet ships or any signs of civilization on the planet that would be a "smoking gun" and they would proceed to wipe out the humans thus continuing the cycle...

Last edited:
I dont see how you can abandon all of those ships with the cylons still out there.

If you read the interveiws that were linked to earlier, all of the Cylons are gone. The colony was destroyed, they admit that they edited too much out and it wasn't as clear as it should have been that the nukes destroyed it.

Edit: Here is the quote so you don't have to go looking.
Moore: The final [cut] came out a little less clear on that than I intended…. It was scripted and the idea was that when Racetrack hits the nukes—the nukes come in and smack into the colony—it takes the colony out of the stream that was swirling around the singularity and [the colony] fell in and was destroyed. I think as we went through the [editing process], when we kept cutting frames and doing this and that, one of the things that became less apparent was that the colony was doomed. The intention was that everyone who was aboard the colony would perish.

Last edited:
I just don't think it plausible that 35,000 people are going to abandon all technology and live off the land. I don't think they would last a week in a wilderness. It was in many ways a disappointing way to end it. I think they could have chosen to make several colonies, and do as was suggested above, but then if they did that, we would be saying, then why did they end up on earth, and how come we have no record of them. :D

I just don't think it plausible that 35,000 people are going to abandon all technology and live off the land. I don't think they would last a week in a wilderness. It was in many ways a disappointing way to end it. I think they could have chosen to make several colonies, and do as was suggested above, but then if they did that, we would be saying, then why did they end up on earth, and how come we have no record of them. :D

If they are going to get in with the natives, they can learn from them were to get food, how to hunt, how to farm. They don't have to live off the land in all cases. Some obviously will because they are going where there are no people, but I think a lot will try to coexist with tribes or whatever are already present.

I'm sure they didn't abandon all technology at first...but with everyone so spread out and the fact that power sources would eventually run down, and no tools to repair things as stuff breaks and even if you had tools, eventually you need something you don't have......well, you get the idea. Survival comes down to who can invent something that meets a need that solves a problem that needs to be solved.

Helo's whole comment about hunting was interesting, mainly because (as I was thinking about it), eventually you're going to run out of ammo and with no way to make more, you're going to have to adapt to the native's means of hunting...spears or maybe bows/arrows. Either that, or everyone learns to farm and becomes vegetarians...

Anyway, my point is, you learn to adapt or give up and die.

The ending of the series is what it is...it's not perfect and it never would be because once it's done, it can be nit-picked to death because we have a record of it that we can go over and over and over, looking for how we would've done things differently. I've done the same in my head (and to a much lesser extent, here) and what it boils down to every time is: it's done and overwith. We may not like every aspect of it, but hey, at least they tried to give us some decent degree of an ending. I'll take it and be satisfied with it, since some shows never get to give viewers any closure...they're cancelled and they just end, leaving the viewers hanging. This wasn't the case with BSG and FWIW, I'll be content with what we've been given...

I will say I am a little confused ... I thought Earth was a radiation wasteland.

So the "Earth" that Kara brought them to, was this a new "Earth" or the same one and they are just living in areas that did not get nuked?

I will say I am a little confused ... I thought Earth was a radiation wasteland.

So the "Earth" that Kara brought them to, was this a new "Earth" or the same one and they are just living in areas that did not get nuked?

The "Earth" that was a nuclear wasteland was the first "Earth", were the cylon tribe went to from Kobol.

This "Earth", nice, green, looks like where we live, is a different planet...150,000 years in our past. No time-travel involved, just that now we know...this series takes place 150,000 years in our past...

I loved Adama's line about Baltar and his one track mind... "we can breed with them". That was great.
I thought about putting together "one liner" clips like this from previous episodes... like when Tighe and Caprica are in the sickbay with the ultra sound and Doc Cottle tells them to shut the frak up, or Tighe telling Adama about his Grandpa... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)