BBC, AJE, RT, etc.

tvdxer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
Why doesn't Dish Network carry BBC World or Russia Today? Why not Al-Jazeera English, DWtv, or MHz Worldview, as a part of their basic package? Aren't a fair number (in order to justify their carriage of those channels) of Americans interested in global happenings and an international perspective? Think about it: Ovation: The Fine Arts Network and Fox College Sports or BBC World, who would attract more viewers?

I can see a Dish Network international news channel tier now:

985 CNN International
986 BBC World
987 MHz Worldview
989 Russia Today
990 Al Jazeera English
991 CCTV 9
992 DW-tv
993 NTA International
994 KTV 2 / KSA 2
995 Myanmar International / MAC TV
996 Arirang TV

no thanks. I'm happy right now that they are FTA :)

If Dish grabs them that means they wont be free to air anymore

I've wanted something like this for years. Don't forget The CBC and something out of Australia.

The Fine Arts Network and Fox College Sports or BBC World, who would attract more viewers?

You said the S word; Sports. FSN pulls more tangible revenue than all of the other channels you listed put together. I don't watch FSN, you probably don't, and a lot of others don't, but that's something that more people are willing to pay for.

I'm with Iceberg; if you want internationals, FTA is a safe haven, and after your hardware investment, they're free.

When I subscribed to Bell ExpressVU from Canada's New York provence we got BBC World and I really liked it. It was also nice to see the CBC's Canadian perspective on the news. They also carried CNN and flipping between the channels when a big story was going on was very enlightening. At the start of the US Iraq war CNN was rah rah cheerleading while BBC World was telling us what was actually going on. CBC was even a bit less enthusiastic over the war then CNN.

It would do Americans a lot of good to be exposed to different views on critical issues.

Fortunately BBC America carries a nice sampling of BBC World coverage in the morning and their American news in the evening is based heavily on BBC World material.

I'm not sayin' you're wrong; I'm sayin' there's no money in it, and Dish supposedly runs a business, not an education service.

Also, check your local PBS. I have two within reach OTA, and they both air BBC World on a subchannel at a Primetime News-ish hour. The antenna tuner on my ViP receiver is indispensable. :)

I'd love to see this. I'd even pay a reasonable fee. There's no such thing as unbiased news, but if you get the news from enough differently biased sources you can figure out what's really going on.

Unfortunately, and not meaning to get political here, far too many Americans don't care about what's going on in the world.

985 CNN International
---A lot of the programming on this channel is from the mother ship. Whenever there is breaking news, CNN and CNN International simulcast. This is not to say there isn't anything worthwhile on CNNI, It's just not a 24/7 unique channel.

986 BBC World
---Would love to have 24-7 of this, however BBC America runs BBC World and many local PBS stations also have daily broadcasts.

987 MHz Worldview
989 Russia Today
---Available on the Internet http://www.youtube.com/user/RussiaToday

990 Al Jazeera English
---There are currently no distributors in the US for this channel. It is only available in DC.

991 CCTV 9
---Already "free" on Dish channel 265 in English and in the 800s in spanish.

992 DW-tv
----WorldLink TV and other channels in the 9400 Public Interest block show much of the English language news on this channel. Many PBS affiliates carry the news also on digital sub-channel PBS World.

993 NTA International

994 KTV 2 / KSA 2
996 Arirang TV
---Is available as part of several Korean Packages

One example of what the OP is talking about:

A couple of years ago when the Republic of Georgia invaded South Ossetia, I watched a Russian newscast claiming to show parts of South Ossetia that were heavily damaged by the Georgian attack. A few days later, the Russians counter-attacked and invaded Georgia, and I watched a CNN broadcast claiming to show parts of northern Georgia that were damaged by the Russian attack. It was the same footage!

987 MHz Worldview
989 Russia Today
---Available on the Internet http://www.youtube.com/user/RussiaToday

990 Al Jazeera English
---There are currently no distributors in the US for this channel. It is only available in DC.
these 3 are free to air on the same satellite

991 CCTV 9
---Already "free" on Dish channel 265 in English and in the 800s in spanish.
also FTA

992 DW-tv
----WorldLink TV and other channels in the 9400 Public Interest block show much of the English language news on this channel. Many PBS affiliates carry the news also on digital sub-channel PBS World.
FTA but on C-Band

993 NTA International
FTA on same sat as AJE & RT

994 KTV 2 / KSA 2
various channels use that acronym...would need more info

996 Arirang TV
not FTA as I am aware of

for the OP get a FTA system...a brand new system is under 200 and there are no fees after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts