BBC World News TV Channel

CNN was live streaming raw video of the English NHK World channel this weekend too (at least last I looked Monday). Which also looks nice on the Revue, it's not on their GoogleTV optimized site, you have to click though to the full site.

+1 for requesting BBC World too since they won't be on BBC America anymore.

I too wanted the Beeb World News channel. I ran across it as a free channel on my Roku box. I'd rather have it on Dish as part of the news programming but in the mean time....

It doesn't seem likely that Dish is going to add this channel and even less so the other news channels mentioned in this and other topics. Thus we are left with CNN, MSNBC and FOX as the only news provided by Dish. At one time these were legitimate news organizations, but they have reduced themselves down to meaningless tabloids complete with diva news readers who make themselves the issue over the news they are supposed to be covering . I am a news junky, which is one of the reasons that I subscribe to satellite, but I find that I can't tolerate any of these channels now for more than a few minutes. If I could "unsubscribe" to these channels, I would, but this also doesn't seem possible as long as I have a Dish service.

I don't understand Dish's mentality over this thing. Directv doesn't carry it and most cable / telco companies don't carry it either (except Verizon). You'd think Dish would get smart and see the potential for new customers by adding BBC World News. Many of us talk about it, so there must be a desire by the public to have it added to their programming.

It doesn't seem likely that Dish is going to add this channel and even less so the other news channels mentioned in this and other topics. Thus we are left with CNN, MSNBC and FOX as the only news provided by Dish.
Ummm.....

Euronews (my go to news channel for world events)
Link - Carries Al Jezeera often and other News
FSTV

It doesn't seem likely that Dish is going to add this channel and even less so the other news channels mentioned in this and other topics. Thus we are left with CNN, MSNBC and FOX as the only news provided by Dish. At one time these were legitimate news organizations, but they have reduced themselves down to meaningless tabloids complete with diva news readers who make themselves the issue over the news they are supposed to be covering . I am a news junky, which is one of the reasons that I subscribe to satellite, but I find that I can't tolerate any of these channels now for more than a few minutes. If I could "unsubscribe" to these channels, I would, but this also doesn't seem possible as long as I have a Dish service.

So you have inside info or just speculating like the rest of us.

So you have inside info or just speculating like the rest of us.
My apologies. I started my post with "It doesn't seem likely....." so anyone reading it would understand it was a speculation and opinion. I hope that clears it up.

IPTV is the future while satellite and cable will soon be the past

Not so fast sir..... Have you not read the latest rules coming down from the internet providers? As I posted elsewhere (and before the rules were made) when all is said and done, if you think the cost of internet service will be the same in the future as it is now you are very mistaken. If you don't pay a premium price, you will be allowed only so much bandwidth and or bites downloaded. Further, do you really think programming now that is free will remain so, or remain at the low cost it is? I think there are serious obstacles to IPTV, and as of now the most pressing is the number of people who do not even get that kind of speed from the internet. Most are not going to give up HD. That takes gobs (a very technical term...) of bandwidth.

IPTV is the future while satellite and cable will soon be the past

Not so fast sir..... Have you not read the latest rules coming down from the internet providers? As I posted elsewhere (and before the rules were made) when all is said and done, if you think the cost of internet service will be the same in the future as it is now you are very mistaken. If you don't pay a premium price, you will be allowed only so much bandwidth and or bites downloaded. Further, do you really think programming now that is free will remain so, or remain at the low cost it is? I think there are serious obstacles to IPTV, and as of now the most pressing is the number of people who do not even get that kind of speed from the internet. Most are not going to give up HD. That takes gobs (a very technical term...) of bandwidth.

Yea, not even opening up that pandora's box here.

Let's just say that IPTV is probably the distant future and cable and satellite are going to drag their feet as much as they possibly can to keep their networks alive. Viacom and Disney's reaction to Time Warner's iPad streaming app yesterday being a prime example.

I just left Suckenlink cable for just this reason. They sent me a letter saying I was on line more than the usually customer. That I had some sort of violation which they never disclosed what that violation was. So after they shut me off and I got back on line I switched providers.

Tomorrow will be the 1st night I won't be able to get the 1 hr version of the BBC World News. In fact local PBS station is not even showing the 30 m version. It's time we got the BBC World News Channel on E*. I'm just gonna keep bringing it up every so often to remind others about getting it on Dish.

We need the BBC World News Channel on Dish Network. I will also keep bringing it up until we get the channel. If Dish Network is not bothered to give what the subscribers want, as a subscriber I will continue to demand until I get it. America needs at least one international news channel on its line-up. Since BBC World News has the quality, Dish Network must get it soon.

While I certainly would like BBC World News. you make it sound like Dish has no world news. They most certainly do. EuroNews, has had fantastic coverage of both the Middle East and Japan, along with news of Europe and Africa, even US news. Link has many hours of Al Jazeera, and has several hours of Deutsche Welle news.
Free Speech TV has news that is certainly different from mainstream. (I happen not to agree with some of their information, but I do appreciate it is there)

Last edited:
While I certainly would like BBC World News. you make it sound like Dish has no world news. They most certainly do. EuroNews, has had fantastic coverage of both the Middle East and Japan, along with news of Europe and Africa, even US news. Link has many hours of Al Jazeera, and has several hours of Deutsche Welle news.
Free Speech TV has news that is certainly different from mainstream. (I happen not to agree with some of their information, but I do appreciate it is there)
You have to have 118.7 for those channels, I don't. Also you have to have special packages for those also.

I don't have 118 and I have them all. :) The only "Special Package" is A La Carte for EuroNews. The other channels are in virtually every package, nothing special needed.

Saying you need any particular satellite or package really isn't an answer to my post with due respect. If dish gets BBC, it is very possible it will go to 61.5 or 72 and 118......and also possible it will be either A La Carte, or put into a new international news package.... Imo. So while adding it would be great, that doesn't mean it will be added to an existing package, or that it will be available in the lower packages. Dish does have quite alot of international news available now however.

I don't have 118 and I have them all. :) The only "Special Package" is A La Carte for EuroNews. The other channels are in virtually every package, nothing special needed.

Saying you need any particular satellite or package really isn't an answer to my post with due respect. If dish gets BBC, it is very possible it will go to 61.5 or 72 and 118......and also possible it will be either A La Carte, or put into a new international news package.... Imo. So while adding it would be great, that doesn't mean it will be added to an existing package, or that it will be available in the lower packages. Dish does have quite alot of international news available now however.
Well excuse me, my mistake. Euronews is on 61.5 in glorious SD as well as 118 too. As far as al la carte for a couple of bucks I would live w/that. Of course it would be nice if it were added to all packages. If it were to go in all of the packages then Discover which has BBA HD might go with it included in deal they already have if it did go into all packages, but just speculating on the later.

When you compare EuroNews and BBC, you know which is of World Standard vs. which is not. So let me clarify my request, I want the best in class international news channel on Dish Network. And nothing can beat BBC World News.!