BBC World News TV Channel

Thats hard to say.

I have seen both channels and I would say that Euronews is better. A lot less of reporters talking and instead a lot more footage of what it is they are reporting on. The reporters are not part of the story and they dont slant the news to give their opinion. Its the way news should be.

I've also watched both - Euronews when it was FTA, and BBC World News through Shaw Direct currently. In many ways they are apples and oranges.

Euronews is distributed in multiple languages and therefore has no anchor. The stories are simply footage over which translators dub in their particular language. You never really see a reporter, and for all I know they may not even exist as the footage comes from many sources. It's over in 30 minutes and then they largely rerun the same thing over and over, until a story is updated. They can cover a fair amount of ground in the time period with not a lot of fluff. But the stories can be rather shallow and they do not do well covering highly dynamic events.

BBC World News is simply the classic format with anchors and reporters. There can be overlap from hour to hour, but the stories are updated more often. The BBC is not as tight as Euronews and one sometimes has to put up with reporter drones that keep repeating themselves and "experts" who may not be or are only there to push a narrow opinion. Still, there is far more immediacy/relevancy and it's hard to beat the BBC on breaking news.

In the end we don't much miss Euronews, because with all the international newcasts on FTA and BBC World News we get all of the perspectives and information we could desire. Every few months we'll tune into CNN for about 15 seconds before madly scrambling to change the channel.

Euronews is great if you want your news in about 10 minutes, but they repeat every 30 minutes after that. A previous poster was correct - there is very little depth to their coverage, and it is on par with the hourly Newsbriefs from CBS/ABC News on many AM Talk Radio stations. Euronews is the "Cliff Notes" of the News channels. Comparing Euronews to BBC is like comparing a small town newspaper to The New York Times.

Thats hard to say.

I have seen both channels and I would say that Euronews is better. A lot less of reporters talking and instead a lot more footage of what it is they are reporting on. The reporters are not part of the story and they dont slant the news to give their opinion. Its the way news should be.

Pretty much how I feel. They translate into english what the person in the news story is saying, with very good footage and usually no reporter trying to say what is happening, rather letting the situation speak for itself. News while repeated, is very much up to date. I like the non intrusion of reporters.
I can agree, BBC is more in depth, but at the cost of some bias or if not bias, being told how the reporter or BBC wants to tell it, much like CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc..
I watch CNN and FOX, I'm not saying they are worthless, nor is BBC at all, In fact I have said it would be nice to get it. But EuroNews is very much liked by my family.

By the way, they do have some special reports, most recently "Libya Burning"

Totally support a 24/7 BBC World News Channel. When we travel in Europe, it is available in every country we have visited, and we really enjoy their unbiased and thorough coverage.

Going to keep bringing it up. Really think the BBC World News needs to be added. And now the Euronews has been set to have English w/1 sub channel for audio in Portuguese (why not Spanish?) It's a valid HD channel that would be a valuable addition to the line up.

EuroNews is available to Satellite for HD? Last news I saw was they went to that format for internet. Maybe now for satellite?

Last edited:
EuroNews is available to Satellite for HD? Last news I saw was they went to that format for internet. Maybe now for satellite?

Sorry, I can't say if Euronews is in HD as I can't receive it. Even in my Latino package (that was my questioning of Portuguese instead of Spanish). I was referring to BBC World News being a valid HD channel. My focus has been that BBC World News should be carried.

Sorry, I can't say if Euronews is in HD as I can't receive it. Even in my Latino package (that was my questioning of Portuguese instead of Spanish). I was referring to BBC World News being a valid HD channel. My focus has been that BBC World News should be carried.

Can Dish Network Programming Dept. give a reason why it is not adding BBC World News Channel ? What is the logic behind not having this channel on Dish ? As a consumer I want to know, what is stopping Dish Network not to carry it.?

Can't anybody from Dish Programming dept. give an update on the reason why Dish is not adding BBC World News Channel ? what is stopping Dish Network not to carry it even as a À la carte option ? Isn't this channel a FTA one ? Let Dish offer this channel 1$ / month....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-12957296
About BBC World News World TV

BBC World News is the BBC's international 24-hour news and information channel, broadcast in English in more than 200 countries and territories across the globe.

Its estimated weekly audience of 74 million makes it the BBC's biggest television service.

Available in more than 295 million homes, 1.7 million hotel rooms, on 81 cruise ships, 46 airlines and 35 mobile phone platforms, BBC World News broadcasts a diverse mix of authoritative international news, sport, weather, business, current affairs and documentary programming.

BBC World News is at the heart of the BBC's commitment to global broadcasting. As an integral member of BBC Global News, sitting alongside BBC World Service radio, BBC World News delivers impartial, in-depth analysis of breaking news, as well as looking at the stories behind the news - not just what is happening, but why.

BBC World News is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a member of the BBC's commercial group of companies and is funded by subscription and advertising revenues.

I think you are naive to think if Dish added BBC World it would be for a $1 A La Carte. Also, you and I do not know if they have tried and what BBC wanted. do they insist on being in all packs for instance? How much are they asking to be carried? I would like to have them too, but you make it sound like these things happen at the snap of a finger.

Second, you also make it sound like this is the only channel request dish has. They have to decide between many channels (see the many requests in other posts) as to what to carry. They have limited bandwidth. May I remind you of the torrid thread about people wanting full time RSN's in HD. Bet they don't want BBC before their channel is in HD.

I think you are naive to think if Dish added BBC World it would be for a $1 A La Carte. Also, you and I do not know if they have tried and what BBC wanted. do they insist on being in all packs for instance? How much are they asking to be carried? I would like to have them too, but you make it sound like these things happen at the snap of a finger.

Second, you also make it sound like this is the only channel request dish has. They have to decide between many channels (see the many requests in other posts) as to what to carry. They have limited bandwidth. May I remind you of the torrid thread about people wanting full time RSN's in HD. Bet they don't want BBC before their channel is in HD.

Exactly, you and me don't know and that's why I asked if anyone could give us an update on the reason.... Things will be clear if we know exactly what is the reason behind it... As a consumer I want to request what I want because I am also paying for a service...I don't care about people wanting full time RSN's in HD if they don't think to care about what I and others want by requesting BBC World News..

Pretty sure that Discover networks is the company that controls BBC World News distribution. I really would like to see it as the only access I have to the PBS version is around midnight. I would much prefer to have BBC World so I can get it much earlier in the afternoon to evening around the time that the other national news shows run.

vdsz said:
Exactly, you and me don't know and that's why I asked if anyone could give us an update on the reason.... Things will be clear if we know exactly what is the reason behind it... As a consumer I want to request what I want because I am also paying for a service...I don't care about people wanting full time RSN's in HD if they don't think to care about what I and others want by requesting BBC World News..

The problem with your request is that this forum isn't an official Dish run forum. Recently, Dish CSRs have joined the forum to assist people with service issues. However, they are the last to know about channel additions and won't have any info on ongoing negotiations. So it is very unlikely that you will receive the information you are requesting here.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The problem with your request is that this forum isn't an official Dish run forum. Recently, Dish CSRs have joined the forum to assist people with service issues. However, they are the last to know about channel additions and won't have any info on ongoing negotiations. So it is very unlikely that you will receive the information you are requesting here.

They have put in request before and probably put request in the future. But I'm sure they will not be informed until the channel is about to go online. This may not be an official Dish forum but they do pay attention to it.

whatchel1 said:
They have put in request before and probably put request in the future. But I'm sure they will not be informed until the channel is about to go online. This may not be an official Dish forum but they do pay attention to it.

Those requests are the same ones that are made if you were to call CS or do an online chat. And definitely not an update from the programming department as requested.

So you do think Dish is going to discuss negotiations with you? Or post about their business contracts? The fact is Dish (And Direct) at this time have limited Satellite space. They are fully aware of the requests for the various channels. I just don't think they are going to give you monthly updates.
And it is Dish who provides the service. We can request what we want, but Dish is under no obligation to divulge anything. My point about the RSN's is, that I am quite sure there are others who want channels that does not include BBC. Dish has to sort that out, see what contracts make sense, etc...

Last edited:
The Boxee box service has it and other news outlets via internet streaming. They also have TV Japan, Al-Jazeera (English and Arabic?? versions) and others. The other streaming services may have it too, check out Roku as well but not sure about it having BBC World.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts