BBC World News TV Channel

Ok, let's clear this up: BBC World News, Newsnight, and World News America (M-F 1 hour program) is NOT offered by PBS. It is provided by KCET, Los Angeles for distribution by American Public Television. This means even public TV stations no longer part of the Public Broadcasting System can air those programs provided they pay APT whatever fees. This means that many public TV stations who are part of PBS also pay for and air APT programming. You would be surprised at how much programming on PBS stations is NOT from PBS, but from APT or other 3rd parties who use the PBS satellite system to distribute programming to all public TV stations. In fact, this is part of the controversy regarding how much local PBS stations are REQUIRED to pay (some big $$) Washington considering how LITTLE many stations actually air PBS programming and the great number of stations who air only a fraction of PBS public affairs programming because it does skew too liberal for most of the nation and the locals depend upon a happy audience to give them money.

Really still want BBC World News. Now that it has gone to PBS I don't always get it. Right now they are running their special programs to raise money. They are not running BBC World News at night. It's time for E* to add it full time. It would be nice al la carte but if not in a news group of programs.

The iPhone app is pretty good, if you can get it (*cough*) and if you have another certain app to change your UDID when the free 30 days runs out. Sad to have to resort to such measures because I cannot (though I gladly would) legally or legitimately subscribe to the thing.

Really still want BBC World News. Now that it has gone to PBS I don't always get it. Right now they are running their special programs to raise money. They are not running BBC World News at night. It's time for E* to add it full time. It would be nice al la carte but if not in a news group of programs.

PBS has NOTHING to do with BBC World News. It is NOT offered by PBS. It provided by KCET, Los Angeles for distribution on American Public Television. Again, you would be surprised how much programming on the majority of public TV stations is NOT part of PBS. In fact, some of the most popular and money making shows for local public TV stations is NOT from PBS.

I just think we should be as accurate as we can. PBS is rather a specific entity (PBS does have partnerships with American Public Television, but they completely separate and independent entities. PBS has its own formulas for membership that seem to be driving local Public TV stations to drop their PBS membership.

Last edited:
PBS has NOTHING to do with BBC World News. It is NOT offered by PBS. It provided by KCET, Los Angeles for distribution on American Public Television. Again, you would be surprised how much programming on the majority of public TV stations is NOT part of PBS. In fact, some of the most popular and money making shows for local public TV stations is NOT from PBS.

I just think we should be as accurate as we can. PBS is rather a specific entity (PBS does have partnerships with American Public Television, but they completely separate and independent entities. PBS has its own formulas for membership that seem to be driving local Public TV stations to drop their PBS membership.
No I wouldn't. I used to work for PBS. KERA has been airing the 30 min version at nights but they are in "beg-a-thon" mode right now and so they are not programming it until they get more pledges for other programming. This why I have kept bringing up the topic every few weeks as both stations that I can get BBC World News tonight only carry it sporadically.

Last edited:
No I wouldn't. I used to work for PBS. KERA has been airing the 30 min version at nights but they are in "beg-a-thon" mode right now and so they are not programming it until they get more pledges for other programming. This why I have kept bringing up the topic every few weeks as both stations that I can get BBC World News tonight only carry it sporadically.

...And, I'm sure you've noticed, how both PBS and local public TV stations air the "crap-a-thon" of vulgar (common) programming for the masses such as Clay Aiken, Peter Paul & Mary, old Frank Sinatra concerts, Doo-Wop, David Foster and Andreas Broceli (the pop singing, but opera singer imposter) and all manner of junk they NEVER air outside of the fund-raising drive. Not only do they stoop to the lowest sort of programming during the fundraisers, but they extract the cash from those who like the poop and they NEVER show it again, until the next fundraiser. That makes it a kind of LIE and FRAUD to those Doo-wop lovers, and piss off their most LOYAL viewers by preempting the usual good fare.

Public TV, right now is a lying MESS with more public TV stations saying, "Buh-bye" to PBS and it's onerous formula for dues payments by Member Stations. I truly believe that we should be able to access via any MVPD the PBS National Feed because WE ALL PAY FOR IT, and we have a right to access what we have paid for, keeping in mind that virtually NO PBS member station air the entire, 100%, PBS National Program Service content.

The point relative to this thread is that the much sought after BBC World News is NOT even offered by PBS to its member stations, but is provided by KCET, Los Angeles (recently DUMPED PBS) to American Public Television, as is a great many of the most popular shows, and those shows drive the fundraisers, on pubic TV from APT or other 3rd party providers, not PBS.

Last edited:
...And, I'm sure you've noticed, how both PBS and local public TV stations air the "crap-a-thon" of vulgar (common) programming for the masses such as Clay Aiken, Peter Paul & Mary, old Frank Sinatra concerts, Doo-Wop, David Foster and Andreas Broceli (the pop singing, but opera singer imposter) and all manner of junk they NEVER air outside of the fund-raising drive. Not only do they stoop to the lowest sort of programming during the fundraisers, but they extract the cash from those who like the poop and they NEVER show it again, until the next fundraiser. That makes it a kind of LIE and FRAUD to those Doo-wop lovers, and piss off their most LOYAL viewers by preempting the usual good fare.

Public TV, right now is a lying MESS with more public TV stations saying, "Buh-bye" to PBS and it's onerous formula for dues payments by Member Stations. I truly believe that we should be able to access via any MVPD the PBS National Feed because WE ALL PAY FOR IT, and we have a right to access what we have paid for, keeping in mind that virtually NO PBS member station air the entire, 100%, PBS National Program Service content.

The point relative to this thread is that the much sought after BBC World News is NOT even offered by PBS to its member stations, but is provided by KCET, Los Angeles (recently DUMPED PBS) to American Public Television, as is a great many of the most popular shows, and those shows drive the fundraisers, on pubic TV from APT or other 3rd party providers, not PBS.

Before too long I plan on putting in a 3 ft FTA system on 125 to see if I can get a good signal for PBS.

Several months ago I installed a mini size lnbf for 125 west with cable ties on my dish1000+ between the 118/119 scallar section and the 129 LNBF. Getting 70s to 90s on the SCETV/KCET/PBS feeds and the mux with create/vme/world. Will post a picture of spacing, mini lnbf CE1000 with the dielectric removed with pliers since it is being used on linear. Was the only lnbf I could find small enough to position correctly and still had to use a nipper on the plastic house on the sides.

Several months ago I installed a mini size lnbf for 125 west with cable ties on my dish1000+ between the 118/119 scallar section and the 129 LNBF. Getting 70s to 90s on the SCETV/KCET/PBS feeds and the mux with create/vme/world. Will post a picture of spacing, mini lnbf CE1000 with the dielectric removed with pliers since it is being used on linear. Was the only lnbf I could find small enough to position correctly and still had to use a nipper on the plastic house on the sides.
I have a Channel Master .9 meter I'm going to try with. It was deinstall from a job that I replaced a dish for. I used to be commercial sat installation contractor as well as doing home back in the C/Ku days.

Here is how it looks:

125.JPG

There are so many news channels that dish or directv refuse to carry, its all been said before, AJE, BBCW, NHKW, CNNI, GloboNews, CBCnews and others. In the case of some of them they are either not available for sale at all or are not FTA like CNNI, not KU band like NHKW, Not available in N. Amer. They are missing a market here they could charge $10-$12 a month if they could just provide a package of 5-10 of the most requested SD world news channels. But instead they ignore all this in favor of the 3 mouth pieces CNN, MSNBC, FOXnews. Oh yeah and of course CCTV English and CCTV Spanish which is paying for placement just like the shopping channels. Thanks for nothing but the news according to dish network.

One or the other model of Superdish had a really skinny LNBF for one of the positions, and it was linear rather than circular. Might be something to consider if you want to add one to your 1000 dish.

I had tried the one you mention, a superdish 105 lnbf off the bracket which was actually linear or circular depending on the way you turned the throat but the scalar ring even with cap off was still too large to fit correctly between 119 and 129, also tried just the 121 scalar with an elbow and it wouldn't work either, tried about 8 LNBFs before I settled on the CE1000. I have a box of about 50 different LNBFs laying around. Wasn't about to install another dish just for occasional PBS/APT feeds like stargazer, BBC, newsline, globe trekker, equitrekking. In Orlando we lost our main WMFE and secondary PBS WDSC on 7/1 but the 3rd PBS station WBCC(aka WUCF) which is now the only PBS now passes through the main live PBS national satellite feed 24/7 with only local ID and the old secondary WDSC now does more APT stuff and MHZW on a subchannel is now 24/7, so it worked out better for viewers as far as I am concered. The only problem is some providers, dish, refuse to carry the new PBS WUCF in HD, and still carry the old defunct station WMFE which is no longer doing any PBS/APT or anything in HD at all they are just showing VME and waiting for daystar to take over. Wake up dish.

Have I hijacked the thread yet?

It is not HD quality, but if anyone uses a Roku box as an adjunct to their DISH and OTA, you will find the BBC World News channel...in real time, 24X7.

Here is how it looks:

View attachment 68405

There are so many news channels that dish or directv refuse to carry, its all been said before, AJE, BBCW, NHKW, CNNI, GloboNews, CBCnews and others. In the case of some of them they are either not available for sale at all or are not FTA like CNNI, not KU band like NHKW, Not available in N. Amer. They are missing a market here they could charge $10-$12 a month if they could just provide a package of 5-10 of the most requested SD world news channels. But instead they ignore all this in favor of the 3 mouth pieces CNN, MSNBC, FOXnews. Oh yeah and of course CCTV English and CCTV Spanish which is paying for placement just like the shopping channels. Thanks for nothing but the news according to dish network.

Maybe you could take a moment and check what is available on Dish for news??

The BBC news on the Roku is not the BBC International news that most of us would like to have. From what I can tell it is the BBC news for the domestic market (England).

That being said you have the choice on Roku of several international news channels including Euro News in many languages. Either the channels aren't available in HD or I can't get them, but for news it doesn't make much difference to me. My wife really in enjoys watching the news from Stockholm in Swedish. Because of the availability of that one channel she didn't object to me spending $79 for the Roku.

If you want lots of other sources for international news programming the Roku is the solution available today that allows you to watch news on your TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts