BBC World News TV Channel

I also want BBC World News TV.

But I don't want this channel is some special extra $ package. Just stick it in Top 120 or something low like that, please!
All requests have been entered for a la carte and those requesting "International News Package have been entered as well!! Thank you Gentlemen.

For BBC World News check your local PBS channel, our has been running BBC World News a lot lately. :)

You are referring to programming offered by KCET, Los Angeles to public TV stations and only airs the few newscasts (some are the VERY SAME same as aired on BBC America in the AM) in the morning and in the afternoon--NOT LIVE, but delayed. Also, KCET, Los Angeles offers BBC Newsnight to public TV stations, as well. Also, KCET briefly stopped providing the service a while back, then reinstated it. In other words, when they have the money to keep doing it, they may, but public TV budgets are not stable.

This doesn't even begin to address our desire for BBC World 24/7 for all newscasts, Panorama, Newsnight, long-form expose's, long-form internview, long-form international pieces about various cultures and how current events affect them. Your suggestion is appreciated, but doesn't even begin to fill our lust :). Thanks.

+1

I'd subscribe to BBC World in any way it's made available - a la carte, in an international news package, whatever.

That said, if an international news package is made available, Al Jazeera English shoud be a part of it - I had the chance to watch its news feed on LinkTv and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
FYI, Al Jazeera English is available FTA on Galaxy 19. I prefer it to CNN for international news stories.
Count me +1 for an international news pkg. I do miss BBC World News as well as CNN International.

+1

I'd subscribe to BBC World in any way it's made available - a la carte, in an international news package, whatever.

That said, if an international news package is made available, Al Jazeera English shoud be a part of it - I had the chance to watch its news feed on LinkTv and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I was just about to post a reply saying the same thing. If they added BBC World News as a 24/7 channel I'd love to also see Al Jazeera English added as well. No cable/satellite provider in the US AFAIK offers them both or even Al Jazeera English for the matter, so adding these I bet would draw more people to Dish who can't get it any other way.

Those who watch news all the time are likely missing out on their own lives. Stay informed on what you can change and work hard to make it better.

-- harshness

I know there have been many multiple requests already posted on this forum requesting BBC World News TV Channel on Dish Network.
If you had bothered to actually read some of those other threads, you would understand that the rights in the USA to BBC World News is owned by BBC America.

So, contact BBC America, not Dish Network.

(Not that it would do any good, as BBC America already wants too much money for the existing one channel.)

Those who watch news all the time are likely missing out on their own lives. Stay informed on what you can change and work hard to make it better.
Excellent advice.

It's worth noting that the so-called "news" is merely what a handful of media people have decided is "important".

A great example was the Scott Peterson story. Definitely and unquestionably something that affected a grand total of roughly two dozen people. No matter what happened with that story, it made absolutely zero impact on anyone else.

Nevertheless, it was not only reported across the US, but around the world ! I happened to be watching the UK BBC news at the time, and they reported on it ! Despite the fact that absolutely nothing about the concept "news" includes the Scott Peterson story. So, the media people are all sheep who follow each other.

PS About a dozen times in my life, I have had first-hand knowledge about something that was reported by some news outlet. So far, 100% of the time, they have gotten the story wrong. That then means that every other story is reported incorrectly as well...

I love loaded statements. Stalkers have nothing to do with this arguement, and comparing the two just tells me that you have no statement that can improve your point of view, so you are left with making mindless statements that either get people to be shocked or back away because you seem intense. Really, you seem to have nothing of value to add.

As for the arguement, people are beginning to sound like the anti-sports crowd. "People are not living their lives if all they do is watch news 24/7." I know that statement is meant for people who live their lives by the news; however, if that's what they want to watch, let them. I'd prefer to have multiple outlets to observe the same useful and useless stories, because for every Scott Peterson, royal wedding, new panda bear at the zoo, celebs who are being whores and @$$holes, and so on there are terrorist attacks, natural disasters, oil spills, political unrest and reforms, and so on. So take the good with the bad, and as always, if you don't like it you can always CHANGE THE BLEEPING CHANNEL!

I was just about to post a reply saying the same thing. If they added BBC World News as a 24/7 channel I'd love to also see Al Jazeera English added as well. No cable/satellite provider in the US AFAIK offers them both or even Al Jazeera English for the matter, so adding these I bet would draw more people to Dish who can't get it any other way.

The local community-owned cable service carries al-jazeera english. they tried to remove it and the voters vote it down so they still carry it.

If you had bothered to actually read some of those other threads, you would understand that the rights in the USA to BBC World News is owned by BBC America.

So, contact BBC America, not Dish Network.

(Not that it would do any good, as BBC America already wants too much money for the existing one channel.)

I don't understand why you have to assume that the people visit this forum have neither have done their homework nor have been bothered to read other threads. Anyways, for the purpose of full disclosure, I am attaching content from an email received from BBC World News sometime back.

“………………………

Thank you for your email.

At present there are no immediate plans to launch BBC World News on Dish
or DirecTV but we are in regular contact with them. However, the
ultimate decision to carry BBC World News is with the operator.

Even though the channel is available in nearly 5 million US households,
we regret that it is not available on every cable and satellite system.
May we suggest, if you are capable of receiving the Verizon service in
your area, BBC World News is available on their FiOS offering.

If you are not able to connect to Verizon FiOS and your local operator
does not distribute BBC World News yet, we are hopeful that we will be
serving your area in the future as more and more viewers are requesting
the channel from their providers. As a subscriber, a call to your local
cable/satellite provider requesting the channel might be helpful as they
are keen to the wishes of their subscribers.

Many thanks for your interest in our channel.

Kind regards,
BBC World News”

Verizon FIOS is only going to be available where they are the legacy landline phone company. Basically their potential coverage will be the old Bell System territories in the NE and possibly parts of the Middle Atlantic USA. It won't be an option for most of the USA.

I would not hold out much hope for this channel. I made exactly this same request around 5 years ago and got back the same stock answer from Dish and the BBC (without the FIOS) recommendation.

I think part of the problem is the parent company, The BBC, expects BBC World to make a profit on its news operations. The British license fee that supports the BBC in general can't be used to fund TV broadcasts in the USA. If you are not familiar with it, residents of the UK have to pay a not insignificant license fee each year for each TV that you own and that money is used to fund the BBC. This is a politically charged issue in that country as many there consider the BBC to be wasteful of the money. So since BBC World can't be funded by the BBC, the big sticking point is how much money does Dish and other providers pay the BBC for the right to broadcast BBC World in the USA. This is why you don't see it being picked up.

Last edited:
I requested BBC World News years ago to Dish Network. It is the best news in the world and is available in my community through the television package offered by my telephone company which I subscribe to for that reason only, the rest of their programming is vastly inferior but BBC World News is the deciding factor and makes it all worthwhile. I hope Dish Network picks it up, at last, and perhaps other English language news casts. If so, I am switching to Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)