BBC World

kenny911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Michigan
I was reading an article the other day talking about BBC World trying to enter the US market and they were talking with cable/satellite companies. Anyone know if Dishnetwork is talking and if they will add this channel? It would be a nice news option since they actually show world news unlike cnn/fox who only talk about the US/Iraq/Israel.

kenny911 said:
I was reading an article the other day talking about BBC World trying to enter the US market and they were talking with cable/satellite companies. Anyone know if Dishnetwork is talking and if they will add this channel? It would be a nice news option since they actually show world news unlike cnn/fox who only talk about the US/Iraq/Israel.
You can already watch BBC World News on E* BBCA and on PBS OTA.

Last edited:
JH1949 said:
You can already watch BBC World News on E* BBCA and on PBS OTA.

I know but this is 24/7 bbc world with other programs besides the news. I read that cablevision just got it.

I wish they would add all the BBC channels as perhaps an international package. I'm actually surprised that with E*'s rep for having some of the best international packages, they don't have some package already.

Real News Needed

SKrueger said:
I wish they would add all the BBC channels as perhaps an international package. I'm actually surprised that with E*'s rep for having some of the best international packages, they don't have some package already.

Right you are. They should add the new BBC News Channel and CNN-International which is a much better product than CNN-U.S. They should have kept CNN-I when CNNfn bit the dust.

Notwithstanding all the channels we have, the only quality newscasts we have are when BBC-America has the BBC World News.

There should be a package available with BBC-World (or the new news channel), CNN-International, CBC, Deutsche Welle, CBC, and Euro News.!protest

I got a reply from David Laslo to my inquiry about BBC World:

"Thank you for your email. We continue to look at adding BBC World to our lineup. At this time, I cannot comment any further on pending discussions regarding this issue. I apologize if this causes any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

David Laslo"

Petrovich said:
I got a reply from David Laslo to my inquiry about BBC World:

"Thank you for your email. We continue to look at adding BBC World to our lineup. At this time, I cannot comment any further on pending discussions regarding this issue. I apologize if this causes any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

David Laslo"

Yeah, I got basically the same reply. Hopefully enough people will email/call them about this and they will add the channel.

Email: ceo@echostar.com

Well, at least that sounds like "discussions" are either in progress or "pending". Better that they're talking about it.

I, too, would be willing to pay anywhere from $5 to $20 per month for a package that included English-language and/or English-accessible (subtitled) international channels from around the world. Why not even a news channel from Australia & NZ?

gbjbany said:
have you guys listed to the BBC radio 1 on Sirius ? does it really play the radio 1, is it delayed or edited. Everytime I have listened all i get is music. It wasnt my fav channel but would be closer to BBC world

It is tape-delayed so it is about 6 hours behind GMT. Sirius said that the thinking behind this was that people on the east coast US could listen to the "morning" and "evening" shows at the same time of the day that the Brits hear them. So it is not live. They have brief "Newsbeat" breaks approx. every half hour, or so. It is 5-10 minutes of British News, more local & entertainment-oriented than BBC World News on Sirius. Plus they have Crime, Traffic, & Weather info, much like a top-40 FM station would have over here. The news is not too in-depth.