BBCAHD.....

Note: This Torchwood mini-series is NOT suitable for children. This goes beyond anything that is caught by the usual V-chip and rating system. It also goes beyond the fact that the mini-series is dark, pessimistic and depressing.
The whole show is dark, pessimistic, and depressing... That being said, it's still a really good show, IMHO.

By the way, for those of you concerned if they're going to cut this show to threads with commercials, if you watch Torchwood on the first night each episode airs, the guide says it is 1 hour and 15 minutes long. Since the BBC series was right at an hour (57-58 minutes if I remember from when I watched it), I think you'll be mostly okay.

The same cannot be said of the reruns I don't think, they'll rerun day one on tuesday just before day two starts, because they're only allocating an hour for those.

The whole show is dark, pessimistic, and depressing... That being said, it's still a really good show, IMHO.

This mini-series is much more dark, pessimistic and depressing than usual.

I'm trying not to spoil anything specific... so I'll put the following in spoiler tags:

The writer clearly feels that the new Prime Minister Gordon Brown is the worst sort of self-concerned power seeker.

By the way, for those of you concerned if they're going to cut this show to threads with commercials, if you watch Torchwood on the first night each episode airs, the guide says it is 1 hour and 15 minutes long. Since the BBC series was right at an hour (57-58 minutes if I remember from when I watched it), I think you'll be mostly okay.

The same cannot be said of the reruns I don't think, they'll rerun day one on tuesday just before day two starts, because they're only allocating an hour for those.

The standard network practice per hour is 44:16 of program at most, and sometimes more like 43 (excluding credits and scenes of next week).

Torchwood was 57 1/4 excluding credits and scenes of net week.

That means that BBC-America will either have less commercials than usual, or they will cut 2-4 minutes from each episode. They will probably want to remove gay kissing scenes, etc. so there is probably at least a minute they want to remove any way...

Does not appear in the uplink forum that BBCA HD is up today. I can only hope that it is up before the end of the week. The Torchwood Mini-Series is repeating through the week and on Saturday it appears they will run all 5 episodes back to back.

The standard network practice per hour is 44:16 of program at most, and sometimes more like 43 (excluding credits and scenes of next week).

That means that BBC-America will either have less commercials than usual, or they will cut 2-4 minutes from each episode. They will probably want to remove gay kissing scenes, etc. so there is probably at least a minute they want to remove any way...

They haven't removed the kissing scenes for the shows from the last series, why start now?

Does not appear in the uplink forum that BBCA HD is up today. I can only hope that it is up before the end of the week. The Torchwood Mini-Series is repeating through the week and on Saturday it appears they will run all 5 episodes back to back.

That's good...can always record it in SD for a back-up and hope the Sat show is in HD.

I would hope they don't remove any of the scenes at all. Nothing wrong with Gay kissing anyway.

They haven't removed the kissing scenes for the shows from the last series, why start now?
Are you referring to HD-Net or BBC-America ?
I would assume that BBC America wants to stay within ratings parameters.

PS I concur with the advice to record SD backups and then record it in HD on your DVR on Saturday (assuming that it gets turned on before then, remember that so far, there are only rumors - or should I say rumours).

I went ahead and added season 1 to the top of my Netflix. Sounds interesting.

Seasons 1 and 2 are both pretty spotty. They farmed out a lot of the writing to people who took existing ideas and crowbarred the Torchwood characters into them, with mediocre results.

Only the Russell Davies written episodes are any good (usually the first and last of those season) - he is the show creator. He did write all 5 episodes for this mini-series, which is why it is probably the best of the Torchwood series (although, again, somewhat dark). This mini-series seems very similar to Doctor Who, where he was also a writer and showrunner for the past few years.

Contracts signed...check
Signal uplinked...check
Other channels saturated with DISH inserted ads touting BBC America "Now available in HD"...check

Channel flag changed to "available"...ehhhh...we'll get to it sometime.

From the bbc website

BBC AMERICA HD - BBC America

Now Available - Please Contact Your Provider BBC AMERICA's new HD channel, which is a simulcast of BBC AMERICA's standard definition channel, was made available to all the channel's distribution partners on July 20. We have a number of deals signed and in the pipeline, and are looking forward to letting you know our partners' HD launch plans. We apologize if the launch of the HD channel has caused confusion, but you can continue to watch all BBC AMERICA programming on the standard definition channel until your provider launches HD.
We encourage you to contact your local service provider to request the channel, if you haven't already done so, and to check back here for information regarding distribution partners, launch dates and the channel's placement.
progress.gif
http://www.satelliteguys.us/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1897663

Only the Russell Davies written episodes are any good (usually the first and last of those season) - he is the show creator. He did write all 5 episodes for this mini-series, which is why it is probably the best of the Torchwood series (although, again, somewhat dark). This mini-series seems very similar to Doctor Who, where he was also a writer and showrunner for the past few years.

Eh, imo, RTD's writing is very hit or miss. He's written some great episodes for Doctor Who ("Midnight", "Turn Left"), but also some absolute stinkers ("Love & Monsters", "Last of the Time Lords").

I honestly haven't paid that close attention to who's written which episodes of Torchwood (where as I do for Who), but I do believe there's somebody else who wrote at least one of the episodes of Children of Earth. RTD might've had help with the others too, as they show a polish that RTD's writing rarely shows.

Last edited:
Eh, imo, RTD's writing is very hit or miss. He's written some great episodes for Doctor Who ("Midnight", "Turn Left"), but also some absolute stinkers ("Love & Monsters", "Last of the Time Lords").

I honestly haven't paid that close attention to who's written which episodes of Torchwood (where as I do for Who), but I do believe there's somebody else who wrote at least one of the episodes of Children of Earth. RTD might've had help with the others too, as they show a polish that

John Fay, who's new to Torchwood, did eps 2 & 4. He's written on Robin Hood. Russell did 1 & 5, and shares 3 with James Moran, one of the stable of Doctor Who/Torchwood writers. Moran's done episodes of Primeval and NBC's Crusoe. Russell was prepping the Doctor Who 2009 specials at the same time as writing and overseeing production on Torchwood:COE, which is why it's spread between more people.

IMO, I really enjoy Russell's writing, but I think Steven Moffat is the best they've got.