BBCAHD.....

Rented Torchwood Season 1 DVDs. Seems interesting. Thank goodness for subtitles.
No kidding!! I don't know what's happened, but years ago I watched British shows like The Avengers, The Saint, Monty Python and others and could understand every word. Now, the dialects are so off the charts. Practically a foreign language.

Having lived here 10 years, when i talk to my brothers and sisters in England its tough for me to follow. If I talk to the extended family in Ireland its impossible. They speak SO fast and with so much slang these days.

Writing isn't much better, my siblings use some of the worst grammar and spelling you will ever see, and they all "graduated" from the local secondary school.

Oh and we swear every second word, they cant do that on TV so it confuses the actors LOL

It may sound biased because I am an American, but I think our language, and dialects of said language are among the easiest to understand in the entire world, since most people I know talk slow and plain as can be.

So hard

What a load of Bollocks what the F is wrong with der spk O-r der? Just a bunch of poofters on this site. It's been 25 Yr since I been there and only occasionally do I have problems. :D:D Cockney rhyming slang is ans has always been a problem for me. I have to admit that Galeic is impossible but then it isn't English.

Last edited:
No kidding!! I don't know what's happened, but years ago I watched British shows like The Avengers, The Saint, Monty Python and others and could understand every word. Now, the dialects are so off the charts. Practically a foreign language.

Lived in the US all my life and never had a problem. But I have read and/or watched a lot of British news, books, and programs/movies.

The British news casters are not hard for me to understand.

It is mostly the speed, the dialects, the slang, and the swallowing of words at the end of sentences that you would get in a show like Torchwood.

The British news casters are not hard for me to understand.

It is mostly the speed, the dialects, the slang, and the swallowing of words at the end of sentences that you would get in a show like Torchwood.

I can understand what your saying now. As I thought about it I find my self constantly explaining terms and phrases to other people that watch those shows with me. :)

It may sound biased because I am an American, but I think our language, and dialects of said language are among the easiest to understand in the entire world, since most people I know talk slow and plain as can be.

Depends on which "American" accent you're talking about. Some "American" accents are unintelligible!

In the South you have about two to three dozen distinct accents.
In Eastern North Carolina you have the guys with marbles in their mouth. It's hard to even try to type how they would talk!

In Georgia you have several distinct accents. From the sing-songy "Gone With the Wind" to the folks who never move their lips when they talk and speak from the throat.

In parts of Louisiana you have Adam Sandler's Cajun man... hooowee!

Texas and Oklahoma have accents that range from chicano to a singing cowbow.

Lets not forget the Minne-sow-ta sweedish accent dont-cha-know where Olie and Leena roam.

In Appalachia you have all sorts of interesting accents some of which require a day to get your ear tuned right, making "Sgt York" sound like a thespian.

Pennsyltucky has a real wide range

In the East youse got dous guys dat talk like they come from da Joe Pecci school of diction to the folks that sound like Chaaarles Emerson Winchester the Therd. And of course the folks that paaahk their caaahs in Haahvaaahd and never do it Hawf-aahsst. Youse also god da guys for New Yawk. Other Easterners have the "idear" from time to time. (the conservation of Rs theory for the easterners...they add it in places and drop it in others.)

Not to start a holy war, but "American" or North American TV English is really a caucasian Midwestern thing (Pittsburgh through Columbus skipping parts of Indiana to Chicago and central Illinois, through Iowa Missouri, Kansas Nebraska, the Dakotas, and save the "oots" of the canadians, Manitoba & Saskatchewan, perhaps Alberta). California and Nevada too because of all the migration there from the midwest. Even where I live in Cinci is "American", but go a little further (or in that area Farther) to the southwest within the city and you have the german influence... "please" means "pardon me" when you didn't hear some one correctly. And go a little to the southeast in the city and you get appalachian influneces in the speech. Never mind 20 minutes south from my house in KY where they have a water tower that says "Florence Yall". The joke in this town is that Vine Street (which runs down the middle of the ciity north/south is a dividing line and residents from one side never cross to the other!

Anyway, not all "American" English is all that intelligible to even an American! :)

See ya
Tony

As I recall, Torchwood (as well as Dr. Who) is filmed in Wales...Cardiff, I think. That's why I have to turn on the closed captioning too. They have some thick brogues in Wales.

Fred

Oddly enough, I've never had any problem whatsoever with the accents on Torchwood, and I can't even read Welsh let alone speak it. The new seasons of Dr. Who, on the other hand, it seems that no matter what the accent, everybody just talks too fast, plus the incidental music is way too loud.

Easier to understand for most Americans. And quite amazing, considering the size of this country and the variety of regions.
But I have to agree TNGT, some dialects in the Southern and North Eastern parts of the US can be a real obstacle course for many Americans west of the Mississippi. :)

As I recall, Torchwood (as well as Dr. Who) is filmed in Wales...Cardiff, I think. That's why I have to turn on the closed captioning too. They have some thick brogues in Wales.

Fred

Yeah, it's different, but I understand it. There was a Welsh character on "Coupling" as well as the movie Notting Hill.

I miss seeing it on HDNet. Oh well...

My families on both my mom and dads sides come from the UK. So it's not hard for me to catch the spoken words without much trouble. My family still speaks several tongues just to keep the languages alive. Gaelic is a fun language, but it has to be the hardest language in the world to write with. Because most of the words are spelled completely different than the way they are spoken.

But to be honest. All the UK languages are turning into crap languages. Because they are not taught properly.

Big Zero for BBC

Way to go BBA have fantastic grand opening that no one cane come to. This is the one HD channel that would get me to think seriously about dropping Absolute and it never shows up.

But to be honest. All the UK languages are turning into crap languages. Because they are not taught properly.

This i have to agree with 100%. I am one of 5 kids, big gap between myself an the next 4 down (12 years). I went to a school that actually taught me English with some semblance of literacy. My brothers and sisters though went to the local schools and they are terrible.

We communicate via facebook and there is not a single occasion when their status isn't missing words, punctuation or just using entirely the wrong words. Its sad, but their written word makes them sound dumb when they most certainly are not.

This i have to agree with 100%. I am one of 5 kids, big gap between myself an the next 4 down (12 years). I went to a school that actually taught me English with some semblance of literacy. My brothers and sisters though went to the local schools and they are terrible.

We communicate via facebook and there is not a single occasion when their status isn't missing words, punctuation or just using entirely the wrong words. Its sad, but their written word makes them sound dumb when they most certainly are not.

Text messaging...the end of the literate world.;););)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts