bein Sport HD channel request

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Oh boy, I'll have whatever you're having...... Seriously, if they had a deal with any provider they, and the provider, would be announcing it straight up. One, it allows the provider to one up the competitor and two, it allows BeIn to more easily negotiate with the other providers because they already have a deal in place.

I agree with you completely, of course. What I don't understand, and no one seems to understand, is why hasn't beIN announced which providers they have a deal with? It doesn't make any sense. I threw out an unlikely explanation as a guess, but you are totally right that the way these negotiations typically go is that they use leverage and manipulation by saying they already have a deal with the provider's competitor. And then get the customers to put pressure on the provider by threatening to switch. That's what would make the most sense. So either beIn sports doesn't have a deal with anybody at all yet despite them saying they do, or they are complete morons, or they have their own reasons for keeping this information private of which we know not. Has anybody offered any reasonable explanation as to why beIn is keeping quiet about who they have a deal with? I'm not being rhetorical. I seriously want to know if anybody has a good suggestion, because I find it confusing and very frustrating.

I have not heard anything about BeIn having a deal with DISH.

Again the satellite they are transmitting on in the US, they are LEASING SPACE from ECHOSTAR. (Echostar is now a seperate company from DISH) DISH does not use that satellite at all. I would not get all excited about the channel launching on DISH because at this time I have no indications at all that there is a deal with DISH in place.

After another set of conversations today with Dish,they couldn`t/wouldn`t confirm that they will be on board with beIN Sport BUT did say they that they were leading the pack to get first dibs. Yes, I know it`s all bs....the rep said what they all say,to just keep monitoring the providers because one of them WILL strike a deal first. This channel will be carrying too many of the biggest leagues in the world not to be on one of the big providers and then others will sign on but that doesn`t help us all right now. I remember when Goltv and FSC started up,this gradual exposure was the same and they had no where near the quality of programming that beIN Sport is going to show. I mean La Liga, Serie A,Ligue1, F.C. Barcelona TV ,Real Madrid tv and Copa America??? Maybe it`s all a hoax?

One BIG thing to remember no car knows ANYTHING about new channels until they are launched.

It's their job to make you happy on the phone.

Epltalk.com reported a while ago that two providers may have signed up back when Bein Sports was bring announced, but there was no indication of whom.

I find it odd that this "network" has so many exclusive league and event contracts, but no carriage in place.

I've got a dollar that says they may be gone as an independent network soon, and these games will end up on one or more of the established soccer networks.

GaryPen said:
I find it odd that this "network" has so many exclusive league and event contracts, but no carriage in place.

I've got a dollar that says they may be gone as an independent network soon, and these games will end up on one or more of the established soccer networks.
Possible but I doubt it. The parent company is flushed with cash and they are allegedly great providers in France among other places. From what I've read earlier is they weren't even thinking of selling broadcast rights like Fox does with the EPL. This isn't some third rate startup, it's an attempt to get a foothold on a market they haven't tapped yet.

I just wonder if this will be a premium channel.

There's no way this channel just fades away. The owner also owns 'Paris Saint-Germain' soccer club which has spent $137 million on player transfers this summer (that doesn't include the players salaries either). Oh and he also owns a small media company, let me see if I can find it's name... Al-Jazeera. I guess it's popular some places?

No way this channel fails here. My bet is they saturate availability and build from there. And they will be heavy players in the 2013 EPL's bidding that starts in September.

I have not heard anything about BeIn having a deal with DISH.

Again the satellite they are transmitting on in the US, they are LEASING SPACE from ECHOSTAR. (Echostar is now a seperate company from DISH) DISH does not use that satellite at all. I would not get all excited about the channel launching on DISH because at this time I have no indications at all that there is a deal with DISH in place.

I think they would be leasing space from Intelsat, not Echostar, as they are on Galaxy 23 not Echostar 9.

Nope Echostar, they leased the bird for use for the SuperDISH, then the SuperDISH idea was scrapped. Now Echostar rents their space on that satellite to others. :)

I agree that Echostar rents out their space on Echostar 9 to others, but BEinSports is leasing transponder space on Galaxy 23 which is C band. I do believe that Intelsat controls the C band portion of the satellite (Galaxy 23) and Echostar controls the Ku band portion of the satellite (Echostar 9).

Possible but I doubt it. The parent company is flushed with cash and they are allegedly great providers in France among other places. From what I've read earlier is they weren't even thinking of selling broadcast rights like Fox does with the EPL. This isn't some third rate startup, it's an attempt to get a foothold on a market they haven't tapped yet.

I just wonder if this will be a premium channel.

There's no way this channel just fades away. The owner also owns 'Paris Saint-Germain' soccer club which has spent $137 million on player transfers this summer (that doesn't include the players salaries either). Oh and he also owns a small media company, let me see if I can find it's name... Al-Jazeera. I guess it's popular some places?

No way this channel fails here. My bet is they saturate availability and build from there. And they will be heavy players in the 2013 EPL's bidding that starts in September.
You guys are not grasping the fact that they have no carriage in the country in which they own exclusive broadcast rights of some major soccer events, some that are coming up soon.

If they don't come up with a proper method of mass carriage (FTA is not in that category), or sell those rights for US broadcast, they have thrown money down les toilet.

They may be huge in France. But, so is Jerry Lewis. It doesn't mean a thing.

You guys are not grasping the fact that they have no carriage in the country in which they own exclusive broadcast rights of some major soccer events, some that are coming up soon.
Well, my lack of grasping that would be caused my lack of boardroom knowledge about who they do or don't have carriage agreements with. A source months ago already noted that they had two carriers, though that could have been rumor, most else turned out to be true. So really there is no basis for saying they do or don't have carriage with anyone right now... unless you are hooked into sources that would know such a thing.

If they don't come up with a proper method of mass carriage (FTA is not in that category), or sell those rights for US broadcast, they have thrown money down les toilet.

They may be huge in France. But, so is Jerry Lewis. It doesn't mean a thing.
It means that this is already a professional broadcasting company, this isn't some fly by the pants operation like the WWE Network.

Well, my lack of grasping that would be caused my lack of boardroom knowledge about who they do or don't have carriage agreements with. A source months ago already noted that they had two carriers, though that could have been rumor, most else turned out to be true. So really there is no basis for saying they do or don't have carriage with anyone right now... unless you are hooked into sources that would know such a thing.

It means that this is already a professional broadcasting company, this isn't some fly by the pants operation like the WWE Network.
If they do have carriage agreements in place, then it's a different story. My argument is based on the generally recognized view, at least on these forums, that they don't. If they do, then great!

The legitimacy of them as a broadcaster in France is about as relevant as arguing that MSG will be able to break into the French market.

And, since they are owned and operated by Al Jazeera, which has some difficulty getting carriage for its English-language network in the US, it may end up in the same FTA limbo.

If they do have carriage agreements in place, then it's a different story. My argument is based on the generally recognized view, at least on these forums, that they don't. If they do, then great!

The legitimacy of them as a broadcaster in France is about as relevant as arguing that MSG will be able to break into the French market.

And, since they are owned and operated by Al Jazeera, which has some difficulty getting carriage for its English-language network in the US, it may end up in the same FTA limbo.

You are missing the fact that they have CONTENT that is already popular here, and growing. They are also now the exclusive provider of this content. So it's not just starting a network and hope people will watch, they have programming that people will find to watch. Us soccer heads are used to finding games on channels. NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, NBCS, FOX, FOX Soccer, FSCPlus, MSNBC, NESN, CSN & GOL TV all show different types of soccer here in the US. Most of these channels I watch ONLY for soccer. Adding one more to the mix won't be a concern, if the game is good, people will find it.

If they can get the EPL and or UEFA championships then they will really be in demand. ESPN and FSC have done a great job growing the EPL and Champions league here over the last few years. If beIN can come in and snag those agreements, people will still want to watch.

Yes the network may start out raw, but soccer talent tends to go where the games are in the US, and we've already seen beIN pickup some reputable broadcasters.

My main arguement would be that beIN could just get carry agreements to get their network on air (not big money agreements) because they don't need to be financially viable to survive. They have a lot of money behind them and can build the network without having to worry about the bottom line. Just get the games on TV and then look towards the next carriage contracts for profits.

Some really good points on both sides. Interesting that the speculation now is in part about whether the launch is a shambles or not.

1) Compared to WWE's pathetic attempt BeIN should not be considered incompetent. They have a track record of creating channels and selling them at high value all over the globe. They've done this before, and done it well. Unlike WWE which has no successful track record for anything but producing live shows and content to be distributed by others (television/pay-per-view) which are highly profitable, BeIN and its parent company DOES have a hugely successful record in doing just what they are trying here...creating networks that dominate their markets in news and sports. They is no reason they would suddenly be incompetent doing it "over here" as opposed to in Europe or the Middle East

2) But the doing it "over here" does include some huge new issues. "Over here" they are selling a product into a hostile or apathetic market that sees international soccer as a rather small niche. They DO NOT have a track record of doing that. Everywhere else, they have sold a product to markets that already crave it. Having a monopoly on international leagues is a strategy that works well in France...but here it would be like ESPN starting an American Football Network and trying to sell in in Europe. At the right price, maybe. At the prices they are used to getting over here...not so much.

Everyone is kind of right in their analysis. It's not as easy a sell as a lot of us would have hoped, but the pitch is being made by some pretty experienced people who are good at this.

You are missing the fact that they have CONTENT that is already popular here, and growing. They are also now the exclusive provider of this content.
The same argument can be made for Al Jazeera English. Yet, how many carriers are carrying that one?

You seem to think I'm somehow against them succeeding. I'm not. If they do succeed, great.

I'm just pointing out some facts and historical evidence that suggests things don't look that great, right now.

I couldn't give a crap about soccer. But, I understand that a lot of people love it for some reason. So, there is certainly a market. But, perhaps it would have been better for fans residing in the US, if FSC or Gol TV would have picked up the US broadcast rights, as they already have some carriage here.

GaryPen said:
The same argument can be made for Al Jazeera English. Yet, how many carriers are carrying that one?

You seem to think I'm somehow against them succeeding. I'm not. If they do succeed, great.

I'm just pointing out some facts and historical evidence that suggests things don't look that great, right now.

I couldn't give a crap about soccer. But, I understand that a lot of people love it for some reason. So, there is certainly a market. But, perhaps it would have been better for fans residing in the US, if FSC or Gol TV would have picked up the US broadcast rights, as they already have some carriage here.

We appreciate your duly indifferent concern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)