Bell Express Vu North Fort Myers Florida

RoddyCharles

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Understand that at some point this year 2012, I will lose my 100% signal in North Fort Myers.

Before I invest in another complete satellite package i.e. Shaw Direct, would someone please be able to assure me that Shaw Direct will work in North Fort Myers Florida, and secondly will ANY of my current Bell Express Vu equipment i.e. dish, LNB's etc. work with Shaw Direct, or will I have to ship another COMPLETE package from Canada?

Secondly, will I be able to get Shaw Direct HD signals in North Fort Myers Florida, or will I only get SD signals from Shaw Direct in North Fort Myers Florida?

I must compliment all involved with this web site as the knowledge and experience expressed herein is absolutely incredible! My hat goes off to all of you!

Thanks very much!

Roddy

Before I invest in another complete satellite package i.e. Shaw Direct, would someone please be able to assure me that Shaw Direct will work in North Fort Myers Florida,
while I cannot assure anything I can tell you that Shaw works all the way into deep Mexico with the stock 75e dish so it should work fine in N Ft Myers (by the way have a buddy in Ft Myers with Shaw and loves it)
and secondly will ANY of my current Bell Express Vu equipment i.e. dish, LNB's etc. work with Shaw Direct, or will I have to ship another COMPLETE package from Canada?
the cable....Bell uses circular polarity LNB's. Shaw uses linear polarity so it requires a larger dish (the 75e is 37x27). KU Band satellites are lower power than DBS (Bell/Dish/DIrectv) thats why you can have 2 sats 3.8 degrees apart instead of 9. You can use 2 larger (30") dishes but the 75e will work fine

Secondly, will I be able to get Shaw Direct HD signals in North Fort Myers Florida, or will I only get SD signals from Shaw Direct in North Fort Myers Florida?
the advantage of Shaw is the satellites they use have signals that all of North America uses so both satellites work fine
107.3 is the main "core" SD sat (it does have a couple HD channels)
111.1 is the French and HD sat

I must compliment all involved with this web site as the knowledge and experience expressed herein is absolutely incredible! My hat goes off to all of you!

Thanks very much!

Roddy

we're here to help :)
I installed my buddy's Shaw system a few years ago when I was down there and he said it still works great

I called shaw and they said even after their new satelite goes up, the signal will still be shooting down as far a Mexico.

I can't really speak for what the CSR may have led you to believe, but what I think what they meant to say is this:

When the new satellite goes up:
  • The existing satellites F1R and F2 will continue to "shoot down as far as Mexico", as they currently do
  • The new satllite G1 will "shoot down as far as" the northern US, at best
  • In Fort Myers you will continue to get whatever channels come from F1R and F2 at the time all three satellites are operational
  • In Fort Myers you will not see anything coming from G1
I'm not sure that it is known at this time whether any programming currently coming from F1R or F2 will be moved to G1, thereby making it unavailable in the southern states. There are some posts that touch on this subject, but I'm not sure if Shaw has revealed anything official or not.

I'm going to wait to see what happens with Bell.
--
Gordon

Why? Do you think that the footprints that Telesat - owner of the Anik & Nimiq satellites - has posted are incorrect?

Highly unlikely that they would post "lies" on their website.

Roddy, I get Shaw with no issues on a 75E dish in Cape Coral.

As everyone has said, the big question will be if they move any existing HD channels to the new bird. I'm hoping they only add new HD channels to it, I'll be happy as long as CBC, TSN 1 & 2, and the Sportsnets in HD stay where they're at.

Has anyone ever wondered why Canadian sat company's carry US news stations but Direct or Dish won't even carry the CBC.

Has anyone ever wondered why Canadian sat company's carry US news stations but Direct or Dish won't even carry the CBC.

Not sure what this has to do with this thread topic, but simply most Americans do not care about Canadian TV and with the small amount of money invested in it's programming it is understandable. There is really is next to no demand for it.

Roddy said he would be happy to just be getting the CBC & TSN he would be able to have Direct or Dish since he and many more Canadians live in the US full time and millions spend 6 mths here.I think there will be a big demand for Canadian news when they lose the Bell signal next winter.

I'm sure if there was no BELL or Shaw....there would be a great demand for it.

--
Gordon

What maybe 100,000 at most out of close to 300,000,000 would say they must have these channels, like I said next to nothing in real terms of the population. Spread that over how many providers, and the value to each broadcaster would nothing to speak of, if anything at all.

Different rules on how it can be carried. Cable companies near the border pick it up OTA. Satellite can't really do that due to FCC rules.

Also the CBC would have to be watered down as some programs are on US Nets. CBC Windsor already does that. Then there is the whole HNIC thing. NHL Net holds the rights to a lot of games to be shown on there.

It all comes down to Syndex rules (think Simsubs but in the US they just black the programming out)

Not that "must" have it. Most people that move to the US can live without those two channels...

It is clearly evident that Bell couldn't give a hoot about the US subs they lose due to the footprint change, and if Bell does not care you think Dish or DTV would have any chance at all on making money off of carrying them? Dish won't even carry MSG and YES for their sports fans losing a ton of subscribers in the Northeast of the country.

Last edited:
Florida Fort Myers area. No transponder #11

They have cleared out this transponder for the start of HD MPEG4 channels on 91W. Currently there are no channels on this transponder, the ones that were on there have been moved to other transponders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)