Bell satellite lost signal after prolonged disconnection

sandman989

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Michigan
A few months ago I had to disconnect my cable from the dish and pull it out of the way when I had some trench work done in my yard. Everything was working fine before that. When I reconnected it after about a week, I had no signal. I swapped cables with my other satellite, and it worked fine, so there doesn't appear to be an issue with the cable. I tried 2 different SW21 switches, in an addition to the original, with no luck. A post in another forum said to run the check switch test with no cable connected to the receiver, let it fail, accept the new results, unplug the receiver and restart it with the cable connected. I tried this with each of the switches and still nothing. I'm working with a round dish, similar to a Dish 500 one, with 2 separate LNBs. I also picked up an old oval Dish 1000.2 dish with a 3 LNB setup. I tried that dish, with the measurements corrected to match what's needed to hit the Bell satellites, found nothing. I put the 3 LNB setup on the round Bell dish and tried that, same result. The only thing I can think of left to try is to get 2 new LNBs. Is there anything I haven't tried? Is the receiver shot? Could both LNBs go bad at the same time? Is it even possible to pick up Bell satellites with a Dish 1000.2 with 3 LNBs? Can a 3 LNB setup be used on a round dish?

Update: I've now tried 2 new LNBs and still am getting nothing. When I run a check switch, it won't even recognize a switch being present. Am I missing a step somewhere? Is it even possible to try and get a signal if the check switch test keeps coming back as not recognizing a switch connected? Would a factory reset of the receiver make any difference?

Did you ever figure your situation out? I plan on using a 1000.2 with a BEV 9242.

I seem to be getting a weaker signal in recent months at my "temporary" location in the southern U.S. I don't know if my LNB is dying, or trees are growing into the reception path.

I have tweaked the dish as much as possible but am getting insufficient signals in the 40s, when I was getting usable 70s in recent months. (A year or two ago, I could get close to 90.) I've been using the elliptical Shaw dish with two LNBs on it, but this seems inefficient given that only one satellite can be received down here.

I am considering going back to a simple one-satellite dish of the type I used originally in hopes of getting a stronger signalon my HDDSR600. Does anyone know if this will work or is problematic?

I know this isn't exactly the subject of the Original Post, but I share the frustration of trouble-shooting a lack of reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)