Bell TV 2 lnb for HD setup.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikeleafs

Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hi,

I recently changed from my small one lnb dish to the 20 inch 2 lnb dish with the Y adaptor, to pick up HD programming sometime this winter (currently have 2 3100 receivers.). Im having a terrible time trying to get a signal on the first lnb, but I am able to pick up nimiq 91 on the second lnb no problem.
Here is the setup, i have no sw21 switches attached, so the lnb's go straight to the two receivers and I take off the second lnb so I can just focus on the first one.
I am in Toronto, ON with an elevation of approx 39 and skew of approx 96, as per Bell TV user manual.

I have tried this for three days and cannot get the nimiq 91 on the first lnb. Standing behind the dish, the 91 lnb is on the left and 82 is on the right as per the y adaptor.

What am i doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Mike

Remove the switch.

Use just a line from the 91 LNBF to the Receiver, get that signal peaked, then add back the switch and you should be OK.

Don't forget, on 82 with an SD receiver you will only see a few TP's. 15 & 16 for sure.

Im not worried about the 82 yet. I cant get the 91 on the first lnb, it is connected right to the receiver, no sw21 switch yet. I can only pick up the 91 on the secong lnb....

Is it just a matter of turning either left or right at this point? Im sure the skew and elevation are fine.
In order for us to watch tv now, I have to plug the receivers into the second lnb...which way do i turn it left or right (while behind the dish)...and is it a big or just a small turn to get the 91 on the first lnb...?

You need to turn approximately 9 degrees to the right and adjust your elevation about two or three degrees not sure if up or down.

I still cant figure it out. I was out there for 3 hrs yesterday afternoon. I was able to find the echostar 110 a little to the west and for what ever reason I get the nimiq 91 on the second lnb...?? I think my skew is off. Im set at 96, but that seems too flat compared to a few other dishes in the neighbourhood.

If you keep finding 91 on the second holder, ( on the right looking from behind dish ) then you are pointing at about 100/101. You need to move east.

Catamount

From dishpointer

Elevation: 39.2°
Azimuth (true): 190.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 200.9°
Dish Skew [?]: 95.7

Skew doesn't matter for single circular LNB's.. You could set your dish at 90, if that is level horizontally, and then find 91. Then you would skew the dish in order for 82 to come in

Last edited:
Guys I was out there for about 10 mins just now and found it on the first lnb. I pulled it a little east and changed the elevation from 39 to just over 40 and now i have 100% signal and did a 'check switch' and that picked up the 82 as well. Thanks a lot all.

Mike

optical illusion

When I first put in BEV and DishNet, I discovered something that might help.
When you have a dual LNB dish that needs skew, it will throw off your (apparent) azimuth.
Dial in a lot of skew, and you face an optical illusion aiming the dish to the right place in the sky.
So, what I do is set the skew to neutral (is that 90?), and use a compass to aim the dish east/west to the proper azimuth.
Then, mark a pencil line on the pole and the dish mount to show where to start from.
Only now crank in the skew to the dish.
Just don't venture too far east or west of your marked lines, and you'll find the bird(s).

Another trick for bringing in both birds with equal/strong signal, was to wire up two cheap sat meters, one for each LNBF.
I rigged a little box to power both at the same time.
With that contraption, there was no going back 'n forth between LNBS with the meter, peaking both.
Leave the elevation, azimuth, and skew all a little loose...
Then you (use the force and) just aim for the sky, peak both at once, and you're done! - :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)