Bell TV to start swapping out ALL HD MPEG2 Receivers, October 23rd.

Slartibartfarst

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2007
Well they finally announced it today, all 6100 & 9200's will be swapped out starting Oct 23rd.

Bad news is that if they run out of 9242's for people with an existing 9200, that is used for a 2nd TV, they intend to ship you a 9241 & a 5900....How nice of them....

I changed the title a smidge to add "HD" to the title since that is what they are swapping out...not all MPEG2 receivers ;)

For those wondering, the 6100 is the same as the Dish Network 811 and the 9200 is the 942.

Bad news is that if they run out of 9242's for people with an existing 9200, that is used for a 2nd TV, they intend to ship you a 9241 & a 5900....How nice of them....

actually that would be fine for some folks. That gives you 3 tuners (2 in the 9241, 1 in the 5900) instead of 2...but then the 5900 cant see the HD channels (the 9242 can see the HD on the 2nd tuner even though its SD)

One question?

For those(the majority here)who have a 6100 & 9200, just curious how you'll be geting the repacements? If your a "Southern Sub",i ts not like BTV can ship them to you?

Will your "broker" swap them out or you SOL?

Depends on the broker I guess.....hopefully someone who uses a broker can chime in after they get some info

Wonder about those folks who dont have a broker but use a mythical address? (one that partially exists)....

Thanks, I'll let you know about broker once I hear from mine. I expect it will be handled like the card swap only with that one they weren't pre-activated.

Older SD receivers will also be replaced with 4100's. As a technician we are supposed to swap out older receivers on service calls and installations.

No offence but I find that hard to believe?

I can't see BTV swapping out SD receivers, You have to remeber this is Canada and not the US where, even though our locals are going HD its not like we have 100's of locals like they do in the US.

As well if you have a 3200(BEV dual SD receiver) wil they give you 2 4100's for it?

At present in Canada(not sure of the US equilvent) but there are still
1000(old)
2700(old)
3100(old)
3200(old)
3500(I think)
3700(I think)
4100(newest)
4500(old)
4700(old)
the ones that where 5XXX series not sure if they where SD or HD receivers?

I can't see BTV swapping them out for 4100's and besides Canada's HD line up isn't like the US where 99.9% of all channels are HD, as wellI can't see the SD channels going MPEG 4 either.

Tom
Bell isnt going to do ALL SD receivers at once. It would be on new installs and when equipment dies. Dish is doing the same thing on 110/119 (Western Arc)
If you have an old receiver and need a replacement you get the newest equivalent. So any 301 receiver (think Bell 3100) gets replaced with a 311. The only difference is the 311 can do 8PSK which the 301 cannot. You can go 8PSK without going MPEG4

comparison on how many channels you can squeeze per TP per type of setup
MPEG2 SD....12 channels per transponder
MPEG2 HD....3 maybe 4 channels
MPEG2 8PSK...16/17 channels
MPEG4 SD...around 30 channels
MPEG4 HD.....around 8 to 9 channels

Older SD receivers will also be replaced with 4100's. As a technician we are supposed to swap out older receivers on service calls and installations.

I deal with literally hundreds of Technicians from several different Companies and have never seen that directive. Can you send me a PM, with the National Bulletin Number please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts