Benefit of connecting Hopper to internet via Ethernet instead of WiFi

WIFI quality isn't as good as Ethernet, if your wife turns on the microwave or another device you could be watching TV one moment, and without a signal the next. In addition the wifi signal bounces a lot, some times you have good signal other times it is low.

If you can do it wired, do it wired.

ANY device has the potential to be more reliable using ethernet. If you mean are there any features the Hopper would have, no the connections each provide the same service, one being more reliable. Keep in mind hundreds of thousands of people do rely on Wifi everyday for connections and for the most part there is little or no problem. But Scott is correct in the setting you are talking about (in the home) Wifi can suffer at times.

I am gonna have a Joey installed in my office, which is where the modem and router are. How likely would the installer be to put a HIC in the office, as opposed to just connecting the Hopper via WiFi. I'm sure the HIC will be more costly for the installer.

I am gonna have a Joey installed in my office, which is where the modem and router are. How likely would the installer be to put a HIC in the office, as opposed to just connecting the Hopper via WiFi. I'm sure the HIC will be more costly for the installer.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but most techs will try to use the built-in wireless on a Hopper with Sling as that's the easiest method to connect.

I don't think we have seen very many complaints about the wireless on the Hopper with Sling. Worst case if it doesn't work very well, they'll come back out and install a HIC. Make sure to test the internet connection whether it's wireless or HIC early on to make sure there's no problems.

Last edited:
I will ALWAYS connect with Ethernet if I can. For me, it meant running a CAT6 from one end of my house 100' over the flat roof to the other end where the equipment all is. In that cabinet, coming off a separate router and all fed with Ethernet is my Hopper, Roku, Blu-Ray, HDDVD (I know, wrong guess!) and Onkyo 709 networked receiver, along with an extra cable for my laptop when needed. BTW, there can be issues with the second router - the logic of from the main router to the input of the second router does not work, and the first router needs to be connected to a "regular" Ethernet output on router #2.

Just to clarify things, WiFi is a specification for physical connectivity for Ethernet. Category, fiber and coaxial connections are as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

I'm old school, so if I have the hardline, I use it. Wireless is a stop gap for me until I run the proper cables. I accept it on phones and tablets, but for entertainment devices that stay in place, it is all hard wired. My TV's, Hopper, Joey... All connected via shielded Cat 6.

All my Joey's that are connected by cable show a Red MOCA. Only connecting the to Ethernet corrects the pixilation, freezing, etc. I talked to a Dish rep today and he confirmed that Dish knows about it and we may be seeing a Joey push in the next (???) month or so. Same thing, wouldn't commit as to a date for a fix only that a lot of Joey's are seeing the same problem on the MOCA network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts