Benefit of internet connected to receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nemesis7782

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Louisiana
I've never had a receiver connected to the internet before. The installer will be here in about an hour or two and the lady I talked to on the phone from Directv said something about connecting the receiver to the internet but I'm not sure if that's something I'd be interested in. Can someone tell me what comes with connecting the receiver to the internet? Is there anything really beneficial or is it really not that big of a deal.

Also is the an extra charge for connecting the receiver to the internet? Thank You![h=2][/h]

No extra charge.

1. Some of the benefits is the ability to watch you tube videos and listen to Pandora from receiver.
2. Ability to order PPV from your remote (can also do this if you just have a phone line to your receiver. Either works)
3. Ability to watch the numerous "on demand" channels that. D offers
4. Ability to connect your receiver to the iPad to watch shows and use the remote from i Pad

Im sure there are more but those are the big reasons why I connect.

Ok I see. Well I don't see me really needing to use any of that so I think I'll just tell him not to connect the internet to the receiver. Really the only thing I would use is the PPV but I can just order that over the phone. I seen a video on youtube the other day about Directv and in the video the guy pressed a button on the remote (I believe it was called the Active Button) and it brought up the weather for the next 5 days. I thought that was pretty nice and thought maybe it was a function of the receiver being connected to the internet.

No, the active buttons work from the satellite.

If I change my mind later on, can I connect my receiver to the internet by running an ethernet cable from the receiver to my router. Will that work or is there other things involved like having to contact Directv about it.

Connecting the receiver to the router will work just fine. If you want to connect for MRV, then you'll need to call DirecTV and try to convince them to enable that functionality in unsupported mode. Of course, you need at least two receivers (one a DVR) for MRV.

I have an HD DVR in my living room and an HD Receiver in my bedroom. I think I'll give this a try once I get an ethernet cable.

You can connect them with Cat5 and use mrv, but like jdspencer mentioned, Directv doesn't support it. You have to email them and tell them you want them to turn on mrv for you even though you are using Cat5. You have to pay $3/month for it, too.

I don't know why anyone would get 2 receivers and NOT want MRV. You can have the installer run the feed from the dish to your router, install the adapter there, and run the cables to each tv from that router location. Then the internet just happens as it's working over the actual cables and you don't need to run an ethernet cable to the receiver. It also means you can watch things in the bedroom that you have recorded on the living room DVR.

I have more than one dvr/receiver but have no need for mrv. I have legs and can go to the room that has what I want to watch. :)

@raoul5788 You said I can connect them with a Cat5. Can I not use a Cat6 cable, or will a Cat6 work fine too? I found a 50' Cat6 cable for like $10 and was going to purchase that.

Cat6 is fine. BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name.

This should be your Sig :

BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name. :)

You are right Jimbo, I end up posting it enough. I think I will change it! Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VPN Connection from Laptop to HR24-500

DirecTV MediaShare for video?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts