Berkeley-Bold True Type Font

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I am looking to buy this true type font but if I can get free it will be better. I looked at one website and it was selling a package for $24 but I was not sure if it was the same. Any recommendations.

Not sure where you can get it... but if you have copy of it you can use cheap font making software to make a similar font yourself... I got a software called Your Handwritting from Office Depot several years ago. I meant to do a lot with it but never got much done with it... it basically has a template with all letters and numbers on it, you can fill in template with your own handwriting or symbols, scan it, etc. and it'll make true type font for ya... In theory, if you take template in to photoshop, and take a scan of the letters, or cut outs glued on the template, you could rebuild the font yourself... time consuming, yes, but depends on how bad you want it.

Someday, I've been meaning to scan in a bunch of templates and do all sorts of weird stuff like you type z and letter a comes up, etc.

That will take too long. We need to edit a pdf document with the above type font but adobe tells us that the font is not on our system and therefore cannot edit the document.

have you asked whoever created the pdf originally if they can send you the font?

the pdf was created by a company that was paid. We are trying to shy away from them since everytime there is a change in date and location on the pdf, they have to be paid. I guess this is why they will do it this way. To have an ever eternal source of income.

"Free" Fonts is like "Free" Music: A typographic font is created and protected by copyright much like any creative work. We're running into this at work because Corporate has decided that all corporate communications is to be in such-and-such typeface. However, a license for the font they choose is close to $300 per workstation. The last time that Corporate did this, they had a secondary font that was part of the Windows font set, but this time, both the Primary and Secondary fonts have an additional cost.

Acrobat should identify the fonts used in the document and it should be relatively easy to track down the font's originator. The link provided above by cybok0 is only $25 and gets you a legal copy of the typeface you need. If this is for a business, there should be no issue spending that little to protect the company from future legal hassles.

The link provided above by cybok0 is only $25 and gets you a legal copy of the typeface you need.
If this is for a business, there should be no issue spending that little to protect the company from future legal hassles.
This is the right answer.
I wasted my time thinking up work-arounds for another question in this section, and then realized it was work-related, and the user just needed to spend money.

As for the font-scanning...
I once did this very thing.
Fifteen (?) years ago... maybe more... I had a laser printer, but needed a dot matrix font.
Sure, you can easily get them . . . now (from Russia...) :cool:
I took a brand new IBM printer, and made it do a print sample of the whole alphabet.
Used a cloth ribbon, and the little dots had tiny hairs on them if you looked with a magnifying glass.
Scanned in the print, and made it into a font.
Then, anything printed with it emulated the dot matrix, right down to the fine hairs on the dots! :eureka

It was not work-related :rolleyes:

I get most of my fonts for free on russian websites. lol
You probably get all the spyware and spam that comes along with that too... and if you use those fonts, you probably could be called a pirate. Printing stuff or even making websites and stuff with those fonts could get you sued bigtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)