copying vhs tapes and dvr recordings

budhead151

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I want to copy vhs and dvr recordings to a dvd burner on a computer. I looking at either the "Pinnacle Systems PCTV HD Stick USB 2.0 TV Tuner with PVR" or the Pinnacle Systems Dazzle DVD Recorder. They are both about the same price. The sales people at the "Big Yellow Tag Store" are of no help. What kind of cables would I need for either one. The dvr is a 625. Any help would be appreciated.

I want to copy vhs and dvr recordings to a dvd burner on a computer. I looking at either the "Pinnacle Systems PCTV HD Stick USB 2.0 TV Tuner with PVR" or the Pinnacle Systems Dazzle DVD Recorder. They are both about the same price. The sales people at the "Big Yellow Tag Store" are of no help. What kind of cables would I need for either one. The dvr is a 625. Any help would be appreciated.

Pinnacle Systems Dazzle DVD Recorder

Run an s-video cable and audio from your 625 to the recorder and then record while playing your shows.

Cheaper option may be an older ati all-in-wonder card... easily obtained on ebay. If you have cable this is a great option since it has a built in pvr program that will download your local ota or cable programming guide each week, and you can just click on the detailed channel descriptions and ask it to record that once, every week, etc.

yet another way

Here's another way to get your video digitized.
I recently bought a stand-alone DVD recorder.
Radio Shack is clearing 'em out for $50.

Feed the output of your VCR and PVR into the two inputs using composite video, plus stereo audio cables.
Each input can use an Svideo jack as an alternate source.
Select front or rear input with the recorders remote.
Output is both composite and Svideo.

Record at 2 hrs speed for standard DVD format: 720x480
If you like, read the disc on your computer, edit with VideoReDo, and author new DVDs with your favorite software.
Or don't. Maybe you are just -done-
I author with DVD Labs Pro (old ver 1.6), but VideoReDo is coming out with an authoring feature this summer.
(the links in this paragraph are to the respective support forums)

At $200 for a DVD recorder, you had to be serious.
At $100 for a DVD recorder, it became attractive.
At $50 , it's a no-brainer.
I even had a $15 discount coupon, and for $35 there is no equal! :up

Go for the standalone and burn it onto a DVD+-RW and then you can use your PC to put menus and such into it.

Here's another way to get your video digitized.
I recently bought a stand-alone DVD recorder.
Radio Shack is clearing 'em out for $50.

Feed the output of your VCR and PVR into the two inputs using composite video, plus stereo audio cables.
Each input can use an Svideo jack as an alternate source.
Select front or rear input with the recorders remote.
Output is both composite and Svideo.

Record at 2 hrs speed for standard DVD format: 720x480
If you like, read the disc on your computer, edit with VideoReDo, and author new DVDs with your favorite software.
Or don't. Maybe you are just -done-
I author with DVD Labs Pro (old ver 1.6), but VideoReDo is coming out with an authoring feature this summer.
(the links in this paragraph are to the respective support forums)

At $200 for a DVD recorder, you had to be serious.
At $100 for a DVD recorder, it became attractive.
At $50 , it's a no-brainer.
I even had a $15 discount coupon, and for $35 there is no equal! :up

Not to get off topic, but I used windows movie maker and Sonic on some of my home movies, is VideoReDo a better product if you know? and will it work with DV cameras?

Thanks for any input. BTW I hate Sonic and looking for something better.

OT with VRD

I'm pretty sure it works fine with DV cameras, but that's not my area of expertise.
Sonic and Windows Movie Maker are others I don't use.

Couple of years ago , I went looking for specific tools.
VideoReDo and DVD Labs were chosen.
I use 'em for cutting commercials from TV shows and movies, then authoring semi-professional DVDs for my home collection.

As for assembling home movies, the requirements would be quite different.
If you were looking to make the raw cuts with VideoReDo, and then add transitions with some other tool, it would be quite good.
It'll do frame-cuts just fine.
The interface is not drag-n-drop-to-a-timeline, if that's what you were expecting.

Probably better to open a new thread in a more appropriate forum (though, I don't know where, so maybe this is fine ) :rolleyes:
. . . or take the discussion to the VRD forum.
You'll find me there under the same nickname.

I'm pretty sure it works fine with DV cameras, but that's not my area of expertise.
Sonic and Windows Movie Maker are others I don't use.

Couple of years ago , I went looking for specific tools.
VideoReDo and DVD Labs were chosen.
I use 'em for cutting commercials from TV shows and movies, then authoring semi-professional DVDs for my home collection.

As for assembling home movies, the requirements would be quite different.
If you were looking to make the raw cuts with VideoReDo, and then add transitions with some other tool, it would be quite good.
It'll do frame-cuts just fine.
The interface is not drag-n-drop-to-a-timeline, if that's what you were expecting.

Probably better to open a new thread in a more appropriate forum (though, I don't know where, so maybe this is fine ) :rolleyes:
. . . or take the discussion to the VRD forum.
You'll find me there under the same nickname.

* expired *

The discount was something I found on SlickDeals:
RadioShack has a Friends & Family coupon that can be used at their stores for a discount of 10% off brand name items and 30% off Radio Shack brand items, valid June 21 and June 22 from 5PM to 9PM.
I really lucked out being able to apply that to my recorder purchase.
Just a happy coincidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)