Quad Core CPU Fan...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Ok, I'm putting together a new desktop powerhouse for myself and am curious about the cooling fan required... I have found a very good deal on an OEM CPU (no cooling fan) and motherboard.

I know it's Socket 775, which encompasses quite a few processors.

What I need is something that will dissipate the 105w of heat produced by the CPU and I'd rather not go "big honking water cooled" ;)

The problem with the Core2 Duo "rated" CPU fans is that the C2 Duo only needs to dissipate 65w of heat.

Any suggestions guys?

Best,

Not sure what you'll use for the cooling solution, I'm guessing an extremely large heatsink with a 120mm fan on each side maybe. (I've got one of these Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm 2 Ball PWM CPU Cooler - Retail for overkill on my E4300 - a really good deal right now by the way).

The next question is where is all that heat going? I recommend the Antec Nine Hundred case with three 120mm fans and a humongous 200mm on top plus options on side panel and interior for two more 120mm fans. Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

A bit expensive:
THERMALRIGHT|ULTRA-120 EXTREME - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$64.99)
FAN SCYTHE|S-FLEX SFF21F(1600rpM) R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$19.99)

Extended Warranty Fee: $0
Subtotal: $84.98
TAX: $0
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $7.71
Total: $92.69

but that is what I use for my QX6700, I run it overclock to about 3GHZ, as a test I just ran all 4 doing folding@home overnight and it did not overheat. 3.3GHZ overheated (well went to 68c higher than what I like, did not actually do anything like crash) running all 4 cores folding.

I have a Zalman CPU cooler on both my GPU and CPU.

I like it because it's made out of pure copper.

I have had folding at home running SMP all 4 cores for 44 hours strait now, 57c processor, 50 ambient (CPU overclocked to 2940 MHZ). System is very quite fan wise. Using a P190 case and the above mentioned cooling tower. It is also under my desk behind another computer, so not the best air circulation around it (desk is solid to 1.5 inches from ground).

AnandTech: UPDATE: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - Retail

The thermalright ultra 120 extream is still anandtech's highest rated cooler. They have tested a bunch over the past few months.

I took my quad, a QX6700 intel, and bit the bullet for gigabyte water-cooling.

All 4 running folding for 3 hours, overclocked to 3Ghz, got me a temp of 46!!!

So watercooling works!

Yeah water cooling does tend to do a better job than air cooling. One of the big advantages is that it takes the heat right out of the case. The air cooler I use tends to put a lot of the heat back into the case.

I can overclock my QX6700 to 3.3GHZ without issue if I am not running folding@home. Change the FSB to 333 and it works like a champ. Running all 4 continuously at 3.3 for hours got the temperature up to 68c after an hour. The spec on the processor is 65c. So, I slowed down the fsb to 266 and bumpped the multiplier to 11.

Moving the computer out from under the desk to where it has better air flow around the case would probably take care of a lot of the issues.

The Radical CPU Coolers from CoolIT | Tom's Hardware looked interesting, a thermal electric solution, but it costs a lot and may not be much better. I would go for water cooling if I felt there was a good way to do it and keep my system servicable, I am always playing with it.

Sorry for the slow responses guys... I've been reading them though :)

Cegarrett, I'm going with the Armor Jr, I don't need the space of the Armor.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)