Best and smallest antenna for an apartment??

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK guys need some help
Moved into an apartment last week and finally getting everything hooked up. Trying to find a small enough antenna that will fit in a location and work well (not just good). I brought my "small" antenna with me (HBU33) and tried to get it in the walk in closet. Well its too big to be aimed properly but I did get most stations (the full powered ones) just fine but I keep running into it as I walk in there. I even hooked up a simple indoor antenna and it worked but the signal was really low (like in the 20's and 30's) so there was some pixeling. Want to use this for the bedroom and for the Directv AM21 in the main room. Right now I get Comcast lifeline free as part of the rent but they are going all scrambled early next year (lifeline is clear QAM now)

Here is my tvfool. Basically the nets is all I care about. Its weird as at the house I had a "billy badass" antenna (HBU44 and a YA1713) on the roof. Now I need something smaller. I dont know if an indoor antenna would work or just a small "outdoor" one

attachment.php

Attachments

• tvfool.jpg
    tvfool.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 721
Do you have a window facing the transmitters? Do you want a clean look like the flat panel antenna in a plastic box or does ugly not matter?

Before you answer I will just say that from my experience living in an apartment the further away from the windows you get the more directional of an antenna you will need. My tvfool was stronger than yours yet I would still get picture issues when my upstairs neighbor would open the fridgerator door. There are so many opportunities for multipath interference in the typical apartment complex that it really is hard to avoid.

Do you have a window facing the transmitters?
no. I'm on the south side of the complex and the transmitters are NE of me. The building runs E-W so its just the people across the hall then outside on the north side

Do you want a clean look like the flat panel antenna in a plastic box or does ugly not matter?
doesnt matter really. Like I say the HBU33 worked fine but couldnt get it to fit properly in the walk in closet.
Before you answer I will just say that from my experience living in an apartment the further away from the windows you get the more directional of an antenna you will need. My tvfool was stronger than yours yet I would still get picture issues when my upstairs neighbor would open the fridgerator door. There are so many opportunities for multipath interference in the typical apartment complex that it really is hard to avoid.
I'm on the top floor (only 3 floors) and the little whip antenna that comes with those 7" TV's worked (but very low signal as noted above)

So its pretty much trial and error with the antennas?

It is trial and error to get every station perfect. I had an amplified rabbit ear and loop combo that was worthless in the living room yet did great in the kitchen that faced the transmitters. I ended up finding an old Blonder Tongue indoor log periodic at a yard sale that fixed much of the multipath issues in the living room. It is similar in design to the Silver Sensor and other clones http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/silver.html

You could try making a two bay version of the coat hanger antenna without a reflector. Very easy to make out of a short piece of stripped electrical wiring. It might work great just hanging on the wall.

http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/2%20Bay%20Kit/2%20Bay%20Kit.html

I've had good results with the RCA ANT-751 indoors. Looks similar in size to the HBU-22 minus the corner reflector.

I'm using one now above the drop ceiling of a restaurant with metal all around the antenna. TV Fool report displayed>here. It works well on all the stations down to WETA (except for the first 2 in the list). I'm surprised how well the 2 VHF stations are received with all the closeby ductwork & fluorescent lights.

Last edited:
If you are on the top floor of three floors, is there an attic access in your closet? If yes, you will dramatically increase your signal by sticking anything up there.

The RCA ANT751 is worth a try for a reasonably small UHF/VHF combo antenna.

A buddy of mine uses one to get some pretty weak stations from a local translator. Only a couple of VHF channels came in with rabbit ears indoors, but with the ANT751 installed outdoors he gets all the UHF and VHF channels available without problems. This is in Juliaetta, Idaho and from the very low powered translator setup there.

The ANT751 is highly rated by users on amazon.com

Craig got his at Wal*Mart.

I don't know if it will fit in a closet though! ;)

Well, if you can find one on Ebay......

THIS little guy can easily go on a pole lamp, or most any mount. Pole lamp is great if you like the 70's look.
I still use one, outside, but used to sell 'em to people for indoor or outdoor use.

My outside one now in use is pulling off all sides, and from West Michigan, Flint comes in with no problems from the EAST side of the state.

Used in my former location, about 60-75 miles from all stations, it pulled Detroit, Toledo, and Lansing with no issues on Analog.....still does well today on digital services. (even without turning.....though it has a front and back.)

The picture is from an old ad in a radio shack catalog. Last time I bought one on Ebay I had to convince the seller
that the price today should NOT be significantly more than it was in the 1980's so I looked it up. If you find one, grab it and consider it "gold."....It does well on VHF and UHF.

It was actually an ANTENNACRAFT product private labeled for a few years by radio shack.
Good luck in your search, if you do...it'll be worth the trouble...and if its without power supply (injector) they're easy to get.

Attachments

• 1986 RV ANTENNA RADIO SHACK-ANTENNACRAFT.jpg
    1986 RV ANTENNA RADIO SHACK-ANTENNACRAFT.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 267
Looks more like a Christmas tree topper to me. This is a MUCH better antenna for about the same price.

thats kinda what I was thinking. I have the HBU44 & 33 and the 33 is too big to fit in there. Maybe the 22 will work fine (I know of other folks here in Minneapolis that use it in attics and works fine)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts