Best app?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dishpointer has a pretty good app -- I purchased it for my android based phone, but I think my phone (bought 2nd hand off ebay) didn't have the best internal gyro/compass. A friend recently gave me his old iPhone, and I've been using "Satellite Locator". It seems to be pretty good out of the free apps out there.

I've also used Dishpointer, on an iphone 3gs. The only issue, which is PHONE related, not app related, is that sometimes there is interference so it's not 100% accurate. It also affects the phone's stock compass app, which can be frustrating since those few degrees make a big difference. The interference seems to come from being big metal things, like having the phone next to my dish or tv antenna.

For my Samsung android, I like (so far) Satellite Director. It is free. I imagine Dishpointer is good if you're willing to pay. Two things I've learned: you must follow the procedure to calibrate your phone for GPS (by waving your phone in a figure-8 pattern as shown on youtube), and these apps are just one tool that assists in the task of pointing your dish. But you need to know enough about dish orientation to be able to identify when the app isn't working accurately (due to interference or whatever). When the app works, it can be really useful and literally almost allows point-and-shoot ease of orientation.

Small quibble, but when you calibrate a handheld device like a smartphone you are calibrating an internal compass - not the GPS receiver.

Many handheld navigation devices require a similar procedure, including my now ancient Garmin eTrex Vista.

Generally, if you are stationary the internal compass will be used for direction.

If you want your GPS navigation tools to give you a direction you will need to be moving.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts