Best avr setting for stereo tv channels

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Few of the dish/TiVo programs I watch are broadcast in stereo for some dumb reason, really surprising when it's a prime time show. Anywho, what setting is most faithful?

On my marantz, I can use auto, which is stereo, or stereo. Using the two fronts doesn't sound as good to me as when using PLII Movie, which mixes in the center. Am I hurting SQ at all?

I use PLII with stereo TV and stuff like that. I can't stand dialog not coming from the center. Coming from the L/R doesn't sound right to me at all. It's not as good as true DD 5.1, but it works for me.

S~

I use PLII with stereo TV and stuff like that. I can't stand dialog not coming from the center. Coming from the L/R doesn't sound right to me at all. It's not as good as true DD 5.1, but it works for me.

S~

I did some more reading, and that is the consensus as well. It just doesnt sound right in stereo mode, a good center really makes the stereo sound better. For some reason, my local Fox is all Stereo on Dish, sucks.

Dunno, signal is so weak on that station, its the only one I cant get. I record OTA on the 722k/TiVo for all other locals.

It's odd, Fringe, House and Terra Nova are 2 channel, and Kitchen Nightmares is 5.1. Makes no sense.

I use PLII with stereo TV and stuff like that. I can't stand dialog not coming from the center. Coming from the L/R doesn't sound right to me at all.
Perhaps your speakers are out of phase? This probably also happens if your listening angle is considerably off axis but surround imaging is broken at that point.

I find it varies a lot from station to station. The worst are the ones that put everything out of the left channel.

Have never found a setting that works universally, so I keep mine set to auto as well.

teachsac said:

At times on American chopper, someone's voice comes equally from the 3 speakers, or the two fronts and not the center. Don't like it personally.

So, more weirdness to fox. Monday's house and terra nova came thru as stereo from dish. I'm on bones now in the same week, it's 5.1.

I think he missed the point of the thread (and my post). There is no center channel in stereo broadcasts, so I don't use that mode when watching TV because there is no center channel and dialog comes from the L/R Fronts. Hence PLII. It separates the channels directing dialog to the center. It's not always perfect, but better than stereo IMO.

S~

I think he missed the point of the thread (and my post). There is no center channel in stereo broadcasts, so I don't use that mode when watching TV because there is no center channel and dialog comes from the L/R Fronts. Hence PLII. It separates the channels directing dialog to the center. It's not always perfect, but better than stereo IMO.

S~

I agree. Im watching something on History right now thats stereo, and when flipping back and forth, "Stereo" sound just does not sound as good as PLII. Using the center adds much more to the sound IMO, and centers it with the display as it should be. I just dont see stereo feeling the same way unless you have a center chair AND toe them in. Both of which I cannot do in my setup.

Since my system is setup for 7.1, I use PL IIx with digital cable. I like it a lot............. :)

Indeed. I have a 7.1 set up as well, and use PLIIz with Front Height speakers. It provides a very full sound stage up front, with voices well planted in the center speaker, as well as appropriate surround from the rears. . :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)