'Best Buy' HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
Last summer I went to Best Buy to look at HDTVs. They had all their HD screens connected to a 'looping' video that showed bits of various HD productions, including golf.

I looked at Tiger Woods and some of the other big names playing shots, etc. and the HD quality looked great! I had never seen such vibrant colors. The TV I was watching all this on was a Toshiba 52" DLP.

When I asked the Best Buy guy what sort of HD feed they were using and he said that it was something they download on to a computer at Best Buy and then use it to send an HD picture to all their TVs.

I did not need any more convincing. I bought that Toshiba set, eagerly looking forward to the next major golf Tournament.

You can imagine my disappointment when I was looking at The Masters on CBS and the quality was nowhere near what I saw in the store.

What is the problem here? Is it the way DirecTV transmits HD? Is it just the settings on my TV? Does Best Buy somehow have a better quality HD?

I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

jammy said:
Last summer I went to Best Buy to look at HDTVs. They had all their HD screens connected to a 'looping' video that showed bits of various HD productions, including golf.
I looked at Tiger Woods and some of the other big names playing shots, etc. and the HD quality looked great! I had never seen such vibrant colors. The TV I was watching all this on was a Toshiba 52" DLP.
When I asked the Best Buy guy what sort of HD feed they were using and he said that it was something they download on to a computer at Best Buy and then use it to send an HD picture to all their TVs.
I did not need any more convincing. I bought that Toshiba set, eagerly looking forward to the next major golf Tournament.
You can imagine my disappointment when I was looking at The Masters on CBS and the quality was nowhere near what I saw in the store.
What is the problem here? Is it the way DirecTV transmits HD? Is it just the settings on my TV? Does Best Buy somehow have a better quality HD?
I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you.

i'm almost certan that the "feed" that best buy is using is at max resolution, i.e 1920-1268 or something like that, or "true hd" and thus the diffrence in pq when u was at home, rember, they are gonna use whatever they can to make the stuff their selling look as best it can to well guess what, GET YOU TO BUY!

Do you have an H20 and 5 lnb dish with HD locals?
Or were you watching regular SD CBS from Direc?

Or were you using the OTA channel on the D* HD receiver? If your local station has subchannels (10-1, 10-2, 10-3), that will reduce the quality of the OTA HD transmissions.

You see that is funny to me because when I bought my Mitsu 65" from Best Buy, I didn't rely on the HD source that they were feeding it. It looked like CRAP!! If that was a true HD signal I would still be watching SD cable on my old Toshiba 4:3. Believe me you need to work on getting your HD signal OTA and not rely on getting it through D* if possible. I have a friend of mine who had D* for about a year and the HD that he was watching was about 2/3 the quality of the OTA HD that he was pulling in. Believe me I am major golf fan, (one of my really good friends in on the PGA tour) so I am constantly watching golf tourneyments. The truest HD that you will receive is via OTA. Just my $.02~!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)