Best Channel To Calibrate TV Picture

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dalyew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 16, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
I know this question has been asked & answered here before but can't seem to find that thread. I've also googled the topic & have not come up with a recent answer. Is there a channel I can use to help me calibrate the Directv picture on my tv?

I've bluray calibration disc's I use to help from that source but the picture looks kinda off when I use those same settings for my Directv source. Is there some way to pull up a test pattern from the Genie receiver or is there a channel that one is shown on at some time or another?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

HDNet used to have a test pattern that they showed occasionally, but now that it's AXS TV, I don't know if they have it anymore.

I say any channel but your locals if not OTA.
The good thing about Directv is they show no favoritism toward hd pq.
All look good to me except locals.
Smithsonian is a good if showing Arial America.

Reactions: ejb1980
I know this question has been asked & answered here before but can't seem to find that thread. I've also googled the topic & have not come up with a recent answer. Is there a channel I can use to help me calibrate the Directv picture on my tv?

I've bluray calibration disc's I use to help from that source but the picture looks kinda off when I use those same settings for my Directv source. Is there some way to pull up a test pattern from the Genie receiver or is there a channel that one is shown on at some time or another?

None. I use the THX Calibration app for the iPhone/iPad. Then after done, do some minor adjustments.

Reactions: I WANT MORE
Thanks for the response guys. I didn't know about the THX app, downloaded it from the Android store this morning and will try it.... thanks Broe67.

OK.

Some of the HR24's (500's) were a different chip and output RGB instead of ycbcr color space and it caused issues for some people when their displays needed separate settings for RGB.

Didn't know that about the HR24-500.
Did you try to calibrate and find this out?
That is via hdmi?

My AVR reports incoming color space, but it was a big deal when it first came out. Some sets, if they do not detect RGB properly, required adjustments because blacks could be washed out or crusher, depending on how the set reacted.

And yes it was via HDMI. Direct used an NXP chip instead of Broadcom on the 500 for whatever reason and it output RGB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts