Best HDMI cables for DTV HD receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Check out HDMI Cable at Monoprice.
Cheap but very good HDMI cables! Highly recommended.

Even over 8' don't wast money on Monster or any other name brand trying to get your money for something "special" - just head to monoprice.

I'm using the cable that came with it. Unless you are going to have a run longer than the typical 8', don't waste your money on Monster.
The main problem with generic cables that come with equipment (I don't know which one you've got) is that usually they are not gold-plated. Which means they may work fine initially, but may develop problems over time due to oxidation.

Monoprice HDMI cables are all gold-plated. And cost as low as $3.96.

Monster is a waste of money - I totally agree. Especially with short-run cables.

Monoprice all the way. Some of the cheaper HDMI cables at local stores, or Amazon have loose fitting connectors, which I don't like. If you can wiggle the connection and the picture breaks up, that is a loose fit. I never tested an expensive HDMI cable, because I never bought one. All the monoprice cables I bought were always a tight fit, and they were $4 - $5 for under 10 feet.

Last edited:
HDMI spec v1.3a and the proper shielding; don't matter if it's $2 or $200 is still the same so why spend more than the $2? I agree the gold will not improve the image, but as said above, that's not what was said, it about corrosion of the part plated in gold over time.

Last edited:
The main problem with generic cables that come with equipment (I don't know which one you've got) is that usually they are not gold-plated. Which means they may work fine initially, but may develop problems over time due to oxidation.

Monoprice HDMI cables are all gold-plated. And cost as low as $3.96.

Monster is a waste of money - I totally agree. Especially with short-run cables.

Actually the issue with HDMI cables previously was that of brand connections were not solid.

That said, I think I paid maybe 5-10 tops.

Jimbo

Monoprice all the way. Some of the cheaper HDMI cables at local stores, or Amazon have loose fitting connectors, which I don't like. If you can wiggle the connection and it breaks up, that is a loose fit. I never tested an expensive HDMI cable, because I never bought one. All the monoprice cables I bought were always a tight fit, and they were $4 - $5 for under 10 feet.

Actually the issue with HDMI cables previously was that of brand connections were not solid.

That said, I think I paid maybe 5-10 tops.

Jimbo

Sorry Sonydude,
I posted this before I read your post, we pretty much said the same thing :up

Jimbo

Digital cabling is really a hugely different beast then analog cabling. The only thing you should make sure with digital cables is if they can send the signal (IE, make sure you have hdmi 1.3 cables).

As far as analog composite/component/s-video... Oh absoloutely! Get the best from monoprice, and not that Monster sh*t.

I got gold plated composite cables for my 14" tv in the kitchen to use with directv, and man, couldn't believe how big a difference they gave.

The main issue with analog cabling is interference. If you don't have many things interfering with your signal you don't need good plated analog cables with shielding.

But that argument is pretty much dead, as pretty much anyone living in 2008/2009 has a billion things interfering with signals.

Every time someone buys a Monster product, a Monster exec puts their kid through Harvard. Monoprice all the way!

I ran about 75 ft of Component thru my parents attic awhile back, that too was from Monoprice.
What a difference from what we use to have run over there. :)

Jimbo

No problem Jimbo, you sure have been here a while and posted a ton.:eek:

Ya Sonydude, I've been here awhile and post whenever I think I can help someone.
I've learned a ton from this and a few other sites . :)

So much that I have forgot how to program a remote and Hemi has been helping refresh my memory :)

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)