Best HDTV DVR 2004 award goes to the HD Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
The Best Consumer Electoronics Show (CES) Award for the Jan 8 2004 conference does not go to Dishnetworks 921.

It goes to the HDTV Direct Tivo which is due out soon.

Both Dish and Direct TV will be showing off there product.

There are rumors that the Direct HD Tivo may even have the Home Media Option turned on which will alow streaming of movies to other Direct Tivos in your house (like the standard Tivos all have for an extra fee).

Since both release dates will be close, I would suggest waiting till they both come out so we can all compare.

http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/awards/innovations/2004/default.asp?boi=1

Pciture (notice it is smaller than the 921)

http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/innovations/innovations_2004/2787/mainphoto2787.jpg

Here is the other side to DBS where they make fun of the 921

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148525

I am not saying one is better than the other, just that it would be wise to gather all the facts on both products before paying out $700-$1000 and a new one year contract. Once you buy it will be hard to change your mind.

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately for E*, i will probably be switching to D* by next years NFL season. I really need Sunday Ticket...plus the HD Tivo will be awesome. Hopefully, i will be able to recoup some $$$ selling my 508 and 811 (should it EVER get here!)

Comcast is also starting to roll out their HD PVR's (Motorola and Scientific Atlantic) so for 2004 we go from 1 (the Zenith) to four HD PVR's. I was on the wait list here but I cancelled, I'm waiting to see what falls out. I'm thinking that if the Comcast PVR doesn't suck I may go that way and see what happens with E*'s and D*'s boxes before I drop a ton of $'s on a first gen product.

I'm holding off on the 921 with the idea that E* must cut the price hard to compete with HD Tivo and the cable DVRs.

Maybe we will see a price war someday once the factorys have too many in stock.

Ironic that Dish got best in show last year and the product hasn't even come out in time for the NEXT years show!! hahah and then when it DOES come out they can't beat the next product that is almost out.

They should have gotten best VAPORWARE award..

Lee

That must be why Dish didn't win it this year for the 921. They were inelegible because it won last year. If both products were elegible this year though IMHO the TiVo would probably still win.

Could that be why E* announced the 921 so far ahead of actual production?

Cyclone said:
I'm holding off on the 921 with the idea that E* must cut the price hard to compete with HD Tivo and the cable DVRs.

Cyclone-
I think you are absolutely right...it's a shame, too. So many of us on these forums were so stoked about this unit when we learned of it a year ago and would have gladly handed over $1,000 at the time to own one of these cutting edge receivers and now...now I think more and more people (to the dismay of Dish) are thinking the way you are. I have no doubt it is an outstanding machine, but as a consumer that already owns a 6000u to get me by, why pay full price when I can wait a short couple of months (I've waited this long already) and own one for much less $$$. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I must then also state that I don't think it will be under $500 until this time nex year. I don't expect it to drop as soon as the HD Tivo hits the street.

BTW: I don't think that HD Tivo will be out until at least May and maybe later. Just my gut feeling.

Given the reports of DirecTV's HD channels PQ, no matter how good the HD Tivo is, it seems pointless.

Yea, the 921 is big, bulky, and just looks bad (to me) with those two big humps in the front. All (or most) of the D* receivers look pretty sleek (once again, to me).

Discount on 921 for new customers is $500

My local retailer called me this morning and told me that for new customers (through Jan 31 04) that the discount would be $500

BarryO said:
Given the reports of DirecTV's HD channels PQ, no matter how good the HD Tivo is, it seems pointless.
My thoughts exactly...
sleeping.gif