Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I am looking for a new HDTV. I currently have a Samsung 55" 16:9 RPTV. I need DVI and would like HDMI. Any offerings of your opinions on my budget?

Sony 51 or 57" that just came out. Both now have HDMI. You would need an adapter cable for your DVI.

slacker9876 said:
I am looking for a new HDTV. I currently have a Samsung 55" 16:9 RPTV. I need DVI and would like HDMI. Any offerings of your opinions on my budget?
I'm reading a lot of good things about the Samsung DLP models. I remember walking into Best Buy a while back and the DLP models really caught my eye when compared to the other units on display. They're a bit pricey but here's a link to a site that will give you a substantial discount on any of the Samsung DLP models. The current models have both a DVI and a HDMI connector on the back. So far I haven't seen any other models that offer both connectors. Note that these are monitors only and will require an external tuner.

How big do you want? For $2500 you could purchase a projector and a screen and be over 100". Nothing beats a projector, it's like having your own theater at home. You do have to have light control though.

i had to go w/lcd 'cause dlp gives me headaches. i luv my panny PT50LC13. the PT50LC14 is the new one

Neutron said:
I couldn't find a nice sized LCD for under $2500....

50" Panasonic RP-LCD for $2500, last Jan.

Not too hard to find for that price today.

occammd said:
i had to go w/lcd 'cause dlp gives me headaches. i luv my panny PT50LC13. the PT50LC14 is the new one

Does it really, I was thinking about DLP. Just wondering if a lot of people get headaches from DLP. I get dizzy alot and don't want to toss my money out the door. Is there any info on this?

Thanks for all the help fellas. After a trip to Ultimate Electronics I found a 53" Pioneer Elite RPTV (PRO530-HDI) I think it is the route I may take. Man I hate to buy anoter RPTV. I will check out projectors and the DLP options. I like the technology and contrast ratios of DLP.

Thanks again Fellas!

korsjs said:
Does it really, I was thinking about DLP. Just wondering if a lot of people get headaches from DLP. I get dizzy alot and don't want to toss my money out the door. Is there any info on this?
See this thread. DLP gives me headaches and I see the rainbows really well and they are very irritating, that's why I went with an LCD pj. :D

Seeing how I may have people over to view an HD bigscreen I may be buying in the near future I guess it would be safe to say that one should stay clear of the DLP's as a result.

slacker, as you know, Pioneer is about to (or has already) halt(ed)production on RP TVs.
That being said, we have a four-year-old 58" Pioneer Elite RPTV and a two-year old 64" Pioneer Elite RPTV and while we would love to go the flat screen route we can't find a picture that rivals what we have.
I can't imagine you will be unhappy with the PQ or the quality of the Pioneer Elite.
But whatever you get, enjoy!

The two things preventing me from getting a projector is the bulb and lighting. You have to have to have low lighting to see the projector and the bulb life is not so great with the price of bulbs being as expensive as they are. If the bulbs were not so expensive then that would be different. I like the small size and the big picture that would result from the projector. What projectors have the cheapest bulbs and/or longest life? I dont want to have to pay around $200 or so a year just in replacing a bulb. Also how long do the bulbs last in the different HD televisions and what are their costs?

I've heard of the home made projector that has a cheap bulb and is cheaper than the regular projectors and perhaps even better but am afraid of taking the lcd screens apart that I would end up damaging them.

I also want to make sure I can connect my laptop up to the television/projector so I have the big screen for a computer screen. How do the big screen tv's and projectors compare to the regular screen/monitor that you use? Is it blurrier, clearer, or no difference at all? I know that the televisions have to have the RGB PC input in order to connect a computer up to it but is there an adapter that you can get for the other televisions in order to connect them up to a computer and still get the same picture quality or should someone stick with just the LCD televisions when doing this? Which ones have burn in issues? I also read where some of the televisions with the pc input also have a built in OS where you can connect ethernet to it.

If you get a projector with high ANSI lumen rate (1800 +), a high contrast ratio (1500:1 +) and a nice high-gain screen from DaLite, Stewart or Draper, you will find perfect results in any typical home lighting. A few great projectors in that range are: BenQ PB6200, BenQ PB7210, BenQ PB8240, BenQ PB8250, Sony VPL-CX75, Toshiba TDP-T98U, Boxlight CP-740e. All these should be near a 2000 hour lamp life.

Stargazer said:
The two things preventing me from getting a projector is the bulb and lighting.
This is true, but there are pj's out there that have guaranteed bulb life of around 4,000 hours. Here's what I do: for every hour I watch my pj, I toss a quarter in a jar to pay for my new bulb, that way I have the money at around 1200 hours. I currently have saved over $350 and have around 1400 hours on my bulb and it is still bright and going strong.

If you can't light control your environment, what charper1 said works, but remember, the blacks are produced on the screen by the absence of light in the room, so the lighter the room, the greyer the blacks will be, but you can still have a great picture in a low lit room as long as you are watching bright material that does not have a lot of dark scenes. You would not want to watch XFiles in ambient lighting but Smart Travels, football, basketball or any other show that is shot mainly in day or bright lighting will look great.

Stargazer said:
I also want to make sure I can connect my laptop up to the television/projector so I have the big screen for a computer screen. How do the big screen tv's and projectors compare to the regular screen/monitor that you use? Is it blurrier, clearer, or no difference at all? I know that the televisions have to have the RGB PC input in order to connect a computer up to it but is there an adapter that you can get for the other televisions in order to connect them up to a computer and still get the same picture quality or should someone stick with just the LCD televisions when doing this? Which ones have burn in issues?
First of all, most pj's have a PC limit of 1024 x 768 & you will get a fantastic picture. I've hooked up my PC to my pj and was blown away by the quality. As far as the connector, I purchased a VGA/DVI conversion cable since I also have a Dish 6000 HD stb with a VGA output and it works great.

I was concerned about bulb life as well but went ahead and got a pj and I have never been happier. The downside to a pj: you see every flaw in a TV transmission, so if video noise, pixelation or softness bothers you, stay away from a huge screen. I rarely watch Voom anymore due to this issue, just a warning.

Also, SD material from sat or cable isn't very good, so have a secondary source to watch this material on. Most DVD's look very good, just make sure when you buy them they are Enhanced for Widescreen or Anamorphic or the PQ will suck.

DarrellP said:
If you can't light control your environment, what charper1 said works, but remember, the blacks are produced on the screen by the absence of light in the room, so the lighter the room, the greyer the blacks will be, but you can still have a great picture in a low lit room as long as you are watching bright material that does not have a lot of dark scenes. You would not want to watch XFiles in ambient lighting but Smart Travels, football, basketball or any other show that is shot mainly in day or bright lighting will look great.

I purchased a camera/photo lens filter to make the black level (always a problem with LCD projectors) better, it works great, every thing is more defined and it works as a lens cap also.

Do your own research....

I recommend Panny AE700U, Sony HS51, Sanyo PLV-Z3.

Any TV under 60 inches is equivalent to a 4 banger.
60 - 80 = 6 cylinder
80 - 100 = 8 cylinder
100+ = V8 S/C

that's my scale

I sit nicely at 106" (120" would have probably been a better choice...but XBOX with HDTV adapter, DVD's on upconverting player, and HDTV is awesome :) )

Why are bulbs so expensive for projectors? I was planning on watching mainly SD television for a while until the MPEG-4 HD DVR's are out for a while. There is not that much HD content yet and was not planning on watching DVD's on it. How is the SD content if I make the screen smaller such as making it towards 70-80" instead of 100"+? Will that help make up for it?

I am also wondering about the tuners that some of the big screen tv manufacturers are making. Some such as Mitsubishi are making them to where it upconverts SD to make it a lot clearer (some say upconverting to HD if I read correctly). How would this compare to the projectors? Do any projectors have similar features that would do the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.