Best indoor antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

itsjustme2009

Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Rochester, NY
Hi, can anyone recommend the best indoor antenna for Rochester, NY? I rent, so I really don't want to attach anything to the outside of the house. I don't have/don't want cable ( then I'd never get off the couch!) but still want the regular channels I had before. I got the box, sometimes the channels come in, sometimes not. They often stutter, only sometimes completely go... There are so many too choose from, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

The Antennas Direct DB2 is an excellent suburban antenna, but benefits from altitude and breathing room. You'll get better results if it's in the attic or garage. It's not very directional for it's gain rating, but won't hit two towers 180* apart. Have you charted your location using the radar plot on TVFool.com?

I also rent and live in a multi-story apartment on the 1st floor and only have exterior windows facing north here in northwest Philadelphia.

I purchased the Terk TV5 indoor combo antenna from Best Buy for around $54 and am rather satisfied w/ the reception. It is an active amplifier model but you do have to plug it into an AC power source obviously for it to work as intended. It also has a second switch and an additional RF input to view another input such as a VCR or DVD player if you have an older TV w/out other ports. Finally you can adjust the amplification up or down in case you are too close to the signal's broadcast source or if further way you can add boost.

I receive about 25 decent reception channels(all the main networks, a couple local or specialty ones including PBS and a few I didn't know about and don't receive through Comcast and even some spanish or religious programming which I don't usually watch).

Hope that helps.

The Antennas Direct DB2 is an excellent suburban antenna, but benefits from altitude and breathing room. You'll get better results if it's in the attic or garage. It's not very directional for it's gain rating, but won't hit two towers 180* apart. Have you charted your location using the radar plot on TVFool.com?

WHEC is going back to VHF channel 10, a VHF channel. The DB2 is a UHF only antenna.

The DB2 is a UHF only antenna.
...which works in a lot of VHF-Hi situations. Just because it's not rated doesn't mean it doesn't work. My Analog VHF reception (4,5,9) with a DB4 clone is outstanding, and I don't even have a reflector (which people tell me is necessary for VHF to work at all). A lot of OTA stuff, it appears, is trial and error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)