Best new use for this Channel Master dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I've worked exclusively with the BUD world, and dual C/Ku installs, so this one's new to me. A friend of mine's father had his weather satellite system completely demolished by UPS recently moving it between Florida and Michigan. Insurance replaced it with new, but the service sent him a new larger dish and instructions to move to AMC-1 with the new dish and a new LNB. I did his install a bit ago, They asked for the old LNB back, but not the dish (due to shipping costs, I'm sure.)

So, what do I do now for fun with a .75 meter Channel Master plastic dish? Is it good for a motorized FTA on Ku only? Could it integrate with my existing motorized BUD (C/Ku) through creative "switchery" if on a motorized mount? Would it do for just some of the audio-only services on FTA?

Could it be a kick-donkey distant Wireless Internet dish with proper antenna and feedline?

Help this "large dish" guy with ideas for re-purposing (can't believe spell check passes that word) this dish for fun!

Attachments

• DSC07172.JPG
    DSC07172.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 249
  • channel master ku.jpg
    channel master ku.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 273
I have the same dish mounted to the lip of the BUD, so they track together.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 230
I have the same dish mounted to the lip of the BUD, so they track together.

Thanks kind of neat! Better Ku this way than with a combined LNB for the two bands?
Would look odd on any dish, but I like the creativity! Must have been tough to sight it in???? (or did you compare to a Ku on the big dish to set the aim?)

I have a small Channel Master dish like this in my garage. I'm thinking about aiming it at 30 degrees (Hispasat) for the movies.

Could this, with proper LNB on Anik F1R and standard FTA equipment receive the CBC audio feeds? (here in USA we use commercial receivers or the newer "PC based" receivers for our stations' network audio. I have a STACK of old out of work Starguide II and starguide III receivers as the US moved past this technology.) Is CBC radio available for private reception?

Better Ku this way than with a combined LNB for the two bands?
I had terrible results with the BUD on Ku. Wrong mesh.
Must have been tough to sight it in????
That only took about 30 minutes. I peaked the BUD, on C band, on a sat that has both bands active,(Not a co-located C and Ku bird) then peaked the Ku. Tracks excellent across the arc. There's not much I can't lock, other than some weak feeds. The one pic has a zip tie on the edge. Has been replaced with a small turnbuckle. Other side has a small spring. (E-W adjustment) >>CBC radio<< I have to pass, I know not.
I'm thinking about aiming it at 30 degrees (Hispasat)
I'll do that, 30 inch at 30W, when I get the 1.2 aimed there now on a polar mount.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 227
  • GEDC0641_Crop_small.jpg
    GEDC0641_Crop_small.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 217
Sad. (Scrambled audio.) Thanks, however for the info. Insert "Darn, Gee-whiz, whimper," etc, here... I love distant radio.

The dish to the left in this picture is the 1 meter model of your Channel Master. It is aimed at 125W for the PBS there, and performs wonderfully.

Attachments

• 07.JPG
    07.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 228
It looks like you have a lot more space on the roof for extra dishes. :) What's the material of this CM dish and its struts?

The dish to the left in this picture is the 1 meter model of your Channel Master. It is aimed at 125W for the PBS there, and performs wonderfully.
That sounds like one GREAT idea.....still have to buy an LNB for it, all I have are the ones for the big dish, but that'll be easy enough.
Perhaps I can use a change the c/ku switch at my BUD to add in input, and have the system switch automatically to the fixed dish for 125 W?
And, what LNB is recommended by the masses for this type of dish? (with the standard clamp-down "o" shaped clamp opening? Again, I'm showing my lack of small dish knowledge)

Last edited:
That sounds like one GREAT idea.....still have to buy an LNB for it, all I have are the ones for the big dish, but that'll be easy enough.
Perhaps I can use a change the c/ku switch at my BUD to add in input, and have the system switch automatically to the fixed dish for 125 W?
And, what LNB is recommended by the masses for this type of dish? (with the standard clamp-down "o" shaped clamp opening? Again, I'm showing my lack of small dish knowledge)

Radio, you could use a DiSEqC switch at your BUD, which would give you four inputs. As for the Channel Master LNB, assuming you don't have the original feedhorn for the dish, any Ku-Band LNBF would work. If you have the original feedhorn, I would advise you to use a C-120 flanged LNB, such as a stacked Superdish FSS LNB (which is what I'm using), and bolt it to the original feedhorn.

It looks like you have a lot more space on the roof for extra dishes. :) What's the material of this CM dish and its struts?

Zamar, I still haven't re-installed motorized dish #1 due to some stupidity on my part. I had to perform surgery on the motor! :eek: When I was tightening an F-fitting onto the motor, I used too much force and loosened the female F-fitting on the motor. I opened the motor and, after verifying that I hadn't broken anything on the board, I ordered a special tool to re-tighten the female fitting (a can wrench). I think everything's fixed, and I'll be installing it early next week. It goes on the NPRM to the left of motorized dish #2 (the dish in the front right corner of the picture). In the right rear corner, you'll see another NPRM. My toroidal dish is going on that, it is my next project :) ...

EDIT: The Channel Master dishes are fiberglass, and the struts are steel tubing with a plastic LNB/feedhorn holder bolted at the focal point.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)