Best PQ you have ever seen?

HD_Eric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Rochester, NY
What is the best PQ you have ever seen????

For me, it is VOOM's HDNEWS channel and TW Cable's HDNET (only if using DVI/HDMI though).

Oddly enough, HD movies do NOT blow me away like "real" things do...like sporting events, documentaries, nature shows, etc....

The PQ on ABC last night was the best I have ever seen it too....

Hdnet before D* downrezzed it or CBS OTA. remember the voom exclusives are only 1440x1080i. Pretty good for RPTV's with 7 inch guns but lacking for 9" guns producing 1600+ lines of resolution.

vurbano said:
Hdnet before D* downrezzed it or CBS OTA. remember the voom exclusives are only 1440x1080i. Pretty good for RPTV's with 7 inch guns but lacking for 9" guns producing 1600+ lines of resolution.

I have to agree with vurbano..when I used to have D*, before they downrezzed, there was nothing finer than HDNET..
I watch on a 56" Sammy DLP...

HDNews does it for me as the best PQ. The Cinema 10 channels are a good second, only problem with those is that some of the movies are in need of restoration so you see how scratched and grainy the film has gotten over the years.

I still think the Rave channels presentation of the Jools Holland show (Later?) is one of the best allong with Ota CBS and ABC. I run native 720p via DVI into a Marantz VP12 S3. The projector is professionally callibrated with a contrast ratio of 3380:1 It looks staggeringly good. I find it better the D-VHS due to the sharpness of DVi vs component. However, using a Samsung stb for dvi with the dvhs unit yields the best picture we can probably get.

HDNews is one of the stations I use to show off my HDTV. The PQ is amazing! I also LOVE RaveHD. One of my favorite channels.

As for OTA, the NFL games on the local FOX affiliate look great since they are using 720P as apposed to 1080i. I always prefer the progressive scan image in fast moving programs like football to avoid pixilization.

On Voom i would say the best PQ is HDNews and RaveHD. Local Channels for me would be ABC,PBS and Fox. CBS and NBC aren't HD were i live but in time they will be HD. When i had DirecTV the best PQ was HDNet and HD Discovery Channel. I haven't seen Cband HD or the DishNetwork HD so i can't say anything about PQ for them.

madpoet said:
The copy of 5th Element transcoded in 1080p that I have.

And where, might I ask, did you get that?

I have the Ultimate Edition but would love to know about what you've got.

The best PQ I've ever seen sure wasn't on Voom, it is HDNET from Dish, it is usually superior to what I receive OTA.

OTA order of PQ for HD: CBS, (ABC, FOX, UPN tie), NBC (due to a subchannel, otherwise 2nd), PBS.

The best we've seen was a Sony demo of their Qualia 004 about a year and a half ago.
However, the 2nd best was Discovery HD last night about 11 where the program about preying mantis was simply stunning. We recently had our projector calibrated which really shows the difference between the source material. Maybe VOOM got Discovery tweaked right after the encoder changeover?

Usually, the PQ is best on several of our OTAs depending on the program.

Still enjoying HDTV under mostly sunny "Drought Emergeny" Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts