My PQ Rant

Dish Roamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Picture Quality: Post what you see and your equipment type

OK.............. :eek:
I do not want any flames, yeah right, but I sat down tonight and went through the channels. HBO, Showtime, etc. look like crap. I see mosq noise and the screen breaks up with movement. Even the Voom exclusives look worse than ever. Don't tell me it is my equipment because that is BS!! What is going on? Please post usefull opinions about the pic quality only and what you are seeing. Again, no flames as this is my opinion.

Wayne

Dish Roamer said:
I do not want any flames, yeah right, but I sat down tonight and went through the channels. HBO, Showtime, etc. look like crap. I see mosq noise and the screen breaks up with movement. Even the Voom exclusives look worse than ever. Don't tell me it is my equipment because that is BS!! What is going on? Please post usefull opinions about the pic quality only and what you are seeing. Again, no flames as this is my opinion.

Wayne

No Flames heck do you wear Eyeglasses look closely the PQ is awesome i see know mosq noise and all the channels are getting better it might be your receivers call Voom up and tell them your problem. :D

SonicRob said:
No Flames heck do you wear Eyeglasses look closely the PQ is awesome i see know mosq noise and all the channels are getting better it might be your receivers call Voom up and tell them your problem. :D

Are you saying that you do not see that the pic is soft, and pixing with movement?

Wayne

Dish Roamer said:
Are you saying that you do not see that the pic is soft, and pixing with movement?

Wayne
I don't see any. I was noticing last night that the graphic on HDnews looked great which has for the past few weeks since the new encoders were install looked bad. To me it looks like almost pre new encoders.

Dish Roamer said:

Wayne
I agree with you 100 percent. I think the PQ sucks, today i downgraded from vavavoom, and unless the pq improves(dont flame me, but in my eyes the pq is horrible) i will cancel as soon as my comittment is up, and im upset with that cause i love VOOM and cant get anywhere near the HD i get with VOOM anywhere else.

PQ is awsome here in Connecticut I think you may have problems on your end. HD NEWS has great PQ.

My PQ deteriorated from amazing to what looks like EDTV at about the same time I read about the harmonic encoder. No satellite channel is as sharp as it was, but the local PBSHD is still awesome. I presume bandwidth was sacrificed to allow attracting new subs with a larger selection.

But . . . there is no alternative to Voom now, or on the horizon.

RocketMan said:
My PQ deteriorated from amazing to what looks like EDTV at about the same time I read about the harmonic encoder. No satellite channel is as sharp as it was, but the local PBSHD is still awesome. I presume bandwidth was sacrificed to allow attracting new subs with a larger selection.

But . . . there is no alternative to Voom now, or on the horizon.

I agree. The amount of HD is why I am here. I also have Dish for HDnet and the SD that I do not get.

Wayne

BOOBTUBE said:
PQ is awsome here in Connecticut I think you may have problems on your end. HD NEWS has great PQ.

No problems on my end. Dish and OTA HD look great. My RP is calibrated and my Z2 is still shooting about 106"'s of great looking HD from Dish, what little they have. I am not a voom basher, I have converted friends, I am just giving my opinion.

Wayne

If you would read my thread, you would see that I have Dish and Voom. I am giving an opinion of how I think the Voom pic quality looks. You could always go read another thread.

PQ looks a-ok here. LOL

I could but I am enjoying reading you whine about the PQ right now. When I stop laughing I might go read another thread but right now this one is pure entertainment. LOL

Voomin@720p said:
I could but I am enjoying reading you whine about the PQ right now. When I stop laughing I might go read another thread but right now this one is pure entertainment. LOL

I think you belong at the AVS Forum. You sure your not a D* subscriber. Get a life.

Voomin@720p said:

You know Scott and Sean, This is why all of the Voom subscribers that have had the service for a while feel as if they can not give an opinion. I expressed in my original post, No flames only usefull replies, yet Mr 720P can't read. Close the thread as he has hijacked it. Better yet, give me a 3 day vacation, I need it.

720p, you're misquoting Buckaroo Banzai!!!

"No matter where you go, there you are." :)

As for the PQ, it still needs some work, but it seems to be getting better... UHD still hard for me to watch, tho.

-John

Wow!

Dish Roamer said:
You know Scott and Sean, This is why all of the Voom subscribers that have had the service for a while feel as if they can not give an opinion. I expressed in my original post, No flames only usefull replies, yet Mr 720P can't read. Close the thread as he has hijacked it. Better yet, give me a 3 day vacation, I need it.

If someone disagrees with you, you throw a tantrum?

Dude, breathe in and breathe out! Repeat as needed!

PS. I have had VOOM for over a year! LOL

Dish Roamer,

I personally haven't noticed any PQ problems today. Of course, I haven't been flipping channels looking for problems either, so I probably didn't watch as many channels as you did. I think the biggest problem with PQ threads is that everyone claims to be seing something different, so it is hard to judge when there is a real issue, especially if you don't have the benefit of seeing the problem yourself.

Maybe Satelliteguys could come up with a PQ tracking database for us. It could be a pretty simple submission form with Username Date, Time, Location & Channel fields with check boxes for common PQ problems . This information would be entered to a database and the results could be dynamically posted on this site. That way we could see patterns in submissions/location/time/Etc... rather than arguing with each other about what we are seeing. The results page can break down by number of submissions in a given time period, number of submissions geographically and number of submissions by channel. Since it would all be automated once it was implemented, it wouldn't take resources from the staff.

This would not only be good information for all of us voOmers, it could prove to be very useful to voOm in fixing the PQ issues as well.

:D txdude, before I got to your post, I had to pick myself up off the floor, because I was formulating a post in my mind, and trying to figure out how to promote a similar plan. I tried it once before (when I was REALLY green), which led to nothing. You've been around long enough, you may know what I refer to...It lead to nothing previously, in part because of my lack of experience.

I think your idea has real merit, and realize it would create some expense in manpower initially, but unless we all get our collective heads together and educate and inform each other, help will be slow in coming. The next best thing, in my mind would be what astrofan suggested in another thread...let's get as many together as possible and agree on something to evaluate at the same time, then report back and exchange info.

I haven't seen any major PQ problems on satellite programs, but that could either be because I'm not sufficiently experienced, or maybe they just aren't appearing on my TV in my part of the country.

But somewhere in all this, there are patterns to be found, and finding those patterns may help isolate and alleviate the problems.

Just my thoughts...Vurbano...STOP IT!! Get off the floor...quit laughing at me!! I told you I can't help it...I was born this way! Vicki :D :D :D