****My rant against PQ on New Encoders****

Sighs, I still think its funny that people actually thought things would look better with more mpeg2 compression. A little disturbing that Voom would try to squeeze in more channels though.

philhu said:
Lets calm down, let them get past 4/1, let them get Rainbow 2 online, and fix the PQ at that point. They have a ton of bandwidth on R2 waiting to be used!

But who it to say when/if they move they just won't stuff that one full either, maybe, based on the low sub numbers, they will fall back on that famous 'cable ' way of packing too many channels to where the picture looks like crap, cable did it first, then D* and E*, maybe Voom thinks now it has to be like them based on 400,000 sub increases per quarter for D* and E* each vs 14,000 more in five months ( End of Sept.-26,000, end of Feb.-40,000 )
There is still a lot of SD channels ( and a few HD ) that Voom does not have that could fill up a bird real easy.
Also, look at it this way, both D* and E* have great sub increases and super low churn, so maybe to Voom's eyes, that means no one cares about the picture, that the picture is good enough ( these are words that a lot of D* subs say at AVS) they, the customers, just want more channels

I tend to agree with Sean's first post. The PQ has suffered. However, I was still hoping that it would be a matter of time until the VOOM engineers finish tweaking the compression parameters. Sean, do you know if they're still working on that? Or are they done and this is it?

gutter said:
I still wish Wilt or another engineering type or rep from VOOM would participate. It would help with the loyalty factor.

Gutter,

I heartily agree. That is part of the problem here. If we heard SOMETHING from Voom officially (and not from the CSRs), I think this would be easier to accept and be patient with.

kfried001 said:
Sean maybe I have a tv's that compensate for what you are talking about, but all of my HD ans SD PQ is great. I have three sets and all look great. Could it be a bad STB?

No TV is going to compensate for what we are talking about. It's not a bad STB as many of us see these REAL issues.

As I've said before, the same digital signal from a particular transponder is received by the STB, decoded and the frames sent to the TV over component or DVI. Other than color and some processing differences, all of us should be seeing skeeter, blotching, and pixelation. While it may be harder to detect on some TVs, the TVs are not decoding the digital signal, they are just displaying the frames.

PQ has improved a lot since Friday evening (for which it was terrible Friday evening).

Are you telling me that when you watch Equator, Rush, Rave, TNTHD, ESPNHD and UHD (which is one of the worst) you see NO motion artifacts whatsoever?

Again, these issues started when Voom activated the new encoders.

softwiz said:
No TV is going to compensate for what we are talking about. It's not a bad STB as many of us see these REAL issues.

As I've said before, the same digital signal from a particular transponder is received by the STB, decoded and the frames sent to the TV over component or DVI. Other than color and some processing differences, all of us should be seeing skeeter, blotching, and pixelation. While it may be harder to detect on some TVs, the TVs are not decoding the digital signal, they are just displaying the frames.

PQ has improved a lot since Friday evening (for which it was terrible Friday evening).

Are you telling me that when you watch Equator, Rush, Rave, TNTHD, ESPNHD and UHD (which is one of the worst) you see NO motion artifacts whatsoever?

Again, these issues started when Voom activated the new encoders.

I have stated that I see mosquito noise again on Equator. UHD, Rush and Rave looked great when I watched them this weekend. I also watched a movied on TMCHD which looked awesome. Cannot comment on ESPNHD or TNTHD. Cinema1-10 look great as does monsters.

vurbano said:
they use more efficient alogorithms meaning greater compression. Hence the degraded PQ. Theyve been using statistical multiplexers from the start, nothing new there. Its not rocket science and frankly what youve posted here is marketing bologna. Again as I said previously "you cannot manufacture bandwidth" , the amount is the same as its always been.

I guess you didn't read the white papers. <sigh>

Walter L. said:
I tend to agree with Sean's first post. The PQ has suffered. However, I was still hoping that it would be a matter of time until the VOOM engineers finish tweaking the compression parameters. Sean, do you know if they're still working on that? Or are they done and this is it?

As far as I know they are still working on it.

vurbano said:
I read them many moons ago. Your point?

My point is the new encoders are configurable and along with the statistical processing use variable bit rates which should allow nearly the same picture quality as before. Are they compressing more? Yes it seems so, but they shouldn't have to. Is there more tweaking that has to be done, hopefully.

I caught the latest flu virus on the weekend, so I was watching a lot of TV, unusually lot including crush ice skate program and some surfing stuff on Rush - and TBH I don't see those horrible artifacts, Sean.
It's a bedroom 27" LCD here (720p), fed through a JVC SR-7W for HD recordings but I don't see any problem.

softwiz said:
My point is the new encoders are configurable and along with the statistical processing use variable bit rates which should allow nearly the same picture quality as before. Are they compressing more? Yes it seems so, but they shouldn't have to. Is there more tweaking that has to be done, hopefully.

They shouldnt have too? They have added 20 SD channels. They have to compress each channel more than before to fit in the same total bandwidth:rolleyes:

vurbano said:
Sighs, I still think its funny that people actually thought things would look better with more mpeg2 compression. A little disturbing that Voom would try to squeeze in more channels though.
They fooled us, vurbano! :mad: They put up channel 700 with the new encoders and it looked wonderful, so what happened? All the new SD, what else could it be? :confused:

Somebody posted about wait until after 4/1 and wait until after the new bird fires up, to me this is horse crap! Why alienate 40K subs with a sub-par picture just to add a few SD channels? :no

Voom would have been smart to go to the new encoders, tweak them to the Nines and give every single channel max quality then consider the additional channels. Does it make sense to add new SD when you might be belly up in 2 weeks? Not to me.

Welcome to the New "Dish" Network, Voomers, we've been "Charlied". :D

DarrellP said:
Does it make sense to add new SD when you might be belly up in 2 weeks? Not to me.:D

No it doesn't, but It makes good sense to add them when your not going belly up. People this is your sign.

People again be patient. It takes time to get everything figured out and tweaked. Quit acting like a bunch of bratty five year olds.

i have connected my old dish 6000 and subscribed to hd pack. Luckily enough they also activated hbo hd ans sho hd for me, must be a mistake. Anyway comapring Pq on hbo, sho, tnt and espn, all I have to say is that Dish blows Voom away. Voom is starting to look like a high quality Divx video, it looks amazing on your pc screen, but its definitely not HD.

I hope you tuned in HDNET last night to watch Bikini Destinations and the Miss Hawaiian Tropic Pageant, now THAT's HD at it's finest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts