****My rant against PQ on New Encoders****

timfouts said:
I think it still goes back to the transmission rate. The encoders are compressing the signal more than the Mot encoders did; all in the name to add capacity?

Welcome to the world of HD-Lite, just like on D*, not enough room, just knock down the signal and add more channels, this is scary for the future for all providers if people just bend over for this and take it, then they all will be doing it, just for the sake of saying we have more channels then the other guy.

I too am saddened by the loss of quality. I only experienced the keen sharpness for around 3 or 4 days. Sean, do you agree that the problem is adding too many channels to a minimal capacity?

I have been watching Universal HD most of the day and have seen very little PQ issues today. Just switched over to Rush HD and I do see some pixelation during motion shots, but it is very minimal in my opinion. Speaking of Universal HD, it is interesting that Voom is advertised on that channel... I usually only see commercials for other NBC owned channels or for upcoming Universal Movies..

bruce said:
Welcome to the world of HD-Lite, just like on D*, not enough room, just knock down the signal and add more channels, this is scary for the future for all providers if people just bend over for this and take it, then they all will be doing it, just for the sake of saying we have more channels then the other guy.

And how well was voom doing w/o all the SD channels? Remember all the bitching here that they dont have "x" channel? Im not justifying what voom is doing but DirecTV and Dish have proved it pretty well that quality doesnt mean a thing these days (and it never will).... Its all about the number of channels.

jagouar said:
And how well was voom doing w/o all the SD channels? Remember all the bitching here that they dont have "x" channel? Im not justifying what voom is doing but DirecTV and Dish have proved it pretty well that quality doesnt mean a thing these days (and it never will).... Its all about the number of channels.
I agree i hear allot of whinning about Voom not adding Channels and now we have them we complain about Pq give Voom a chance and let them fix the problem be patient people. :D

jagouar said:

Well when they say this they should mean it:
Voom
VOOM is built to harness the most advanced methods of signal transmission, bringing you the highest quality HD and SD images in the industry.

The Competition
Other providers overcompress their programming, squashing channels into their signal with yesterday's technology. The result? Lower quality images.

Voom
Picture Quality

VOOM brings you the best HD and SD viewing experience available. When you see VOOM, you realize what you've been missing.

The Competition
Old satellites, old compression methods, old tuners…no wonder other systems pale in comparison to VOOM's stunning clarity.

SonicRob said:
I agree i hear allot of whinning about Voom not adding Channels and now we have them we complain about Pq give Voom a chance and let them fix the problem be patient people. :D
Yup... Some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something.....

bruce said:
Well when they say this they should mean it:
Voom
VOOM is built to harness the most advanced methods of signal transmission, bringing you the highest quality HD and SD images in the industry.

The Competition
Other providers overcompress their programming, squashing channels into their signal with yesterday's technology. The result? Lower quality images.

Voom
Picture Quality

VOOM brings you the best HD and SD viewing experience available. When you see VOOM, you realize what you've been missing.

The Competition
Old satellites, old compression methods, old tuners…no wonder other systems pale in comparison to VOOM's stunning clarity.
LIES, LIES, Every DBS provider LIES..

There is no such thing as a mistake, or technology failure, or statements being overtaken by events.

LunkHead said:
Yup... Some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something.....

Well if it is not as they promised ( and they did promise the best picture) you should complain

Remember a few years ago, we had to complain about Pan and Scan DVDs vs. OAR, if we did not complain about that then, what shape would DVD, HD-DVD and HD then be in now, people wrote, E-Mailed, phoned, wrote petitions, took out ads against Full Screen, and because of that even Blockbuster switched from a Full Screen only DVDs to rent to OAR, people can make a difference.

mdonnelly said:
LIES, LIES, Every DBS provider LIES..

There is no such thing as a mistake, or technology failure, or statements being overtaken by events.
Lies is right every cable and DBS provider Lies so be Patient people and wait maybe there PQ will get better. :D

Bruce

Bruce do you even have Voom or you just like posting in a Voom Forum i thought you had Cable or DishNetwork. :D

I have an idea: Since VOOM's survival is hanging in the balance, let's do everything we can to run them down. Maybe you'll feel better April 1.

These new encoders are supposed to give more space for your money. So we should be getting at least of what we had before. There has been some tweaking and I believe that they are still doing it. I just haven't seen any improvements made with the motion artifacts. If anyone correctly remembers, there was no motion artifacts before.

At this point I do not know whether it is a problem with adding more SD channels. It could be but I do not think it is. The SD channel additions are a consequence of the new Encoders. This means that the new encoders were supposed to give you the same bandwith and more. I just think these new encoders need to be tweaked better or they are not as good as the old ones dealing with compression artifacts.

SonicRob said:
Bruce do you even have Voom or you just like posting in a Voom Forum i thought you had Cable or DishNetwork. :D

My Step-Father and mother have it on my advice and if they had a HD-DVR I would also......dude.

Bruce

bruce said:
My Step-Father and mother have it on my advice and if they had a HD-DVR I would also......dude.
Okay i was just asking i know we are all waiting for the DVR good Luck on getting it some people are saying it might be until June when the DVR comes out. :D
:D

I am new to VOOM so I can't really compare the old PQ to the new... The PQ I am getting is awesome... If it gets better then all I can say is WOW. Let's say it was proven by PQ study that VOOM's PQ was the best... Then people would complain about the channel line up order, or that they do not like the guide setup, or that channel X has not been added, or that why was channel Y added when I wanted channel Z.....

I guess my point is that even as a fairly new VOOM'er I am very, very happy with the service.... I would like to see the RSN's added and ESPN2HD along with the INHD's and HDNet but they are not deal breakers for me.... I am a pretty happy camper at the moment and I think if VOOM survives that we will see a ton of more channels added and other improvement...

I am optimistic and have requested via VOOM customer support for the channels I want added and to be placed on a waiting list for the DVR.... I am not going to bash VOOM here for not having everything perfect in the world... I want VOOM to survive so more subs is a plus... Bashing VOOM publicly can only run a potential sub off...

If VOOM was seriously messed up I would warn future subs about it, but I can't really see anything to bash VOOM over at the moment... PQ looks good to me, and channels WILL get added in the future I am sure....

LunkHead said:

and some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about people that are discussing a real issue... :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts